Bike24 delivery times?

MattyK

Re: Bike24 delivery times?

Postby MattyK » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:59 pm

RonK wrote:
MattyK wrote:Starting to get annoyed with mine... :evil:
Are you serious? Didn't you read the preceding posts. Shipments from Bike24 may take up to a month...

Bike24 is a great shop to deal with, but a little forward planning and some patience is required.
Yeah I read them. Doesn't make it less frustrating when you can see the progress - which appears not to be the fault of the vendor but the mail distribution services. I mean, airfreight from Germany should land here in 24 hours, and freight anywhere in the country to a major city should take about the same. So what gives?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 am

It can take up to a week to leave Germany even after it has cleared their customs. Then it can sit again in transit in Saudi because nothing comes to Oz in a straight line. And once it arrives here it can take up to a week to clear our customs and be handed over to AusPost. The DHL tracking system also doesn't update quickly from this end so in my case the parcel can be at my post office before the DHL tracking system says the parcel is off their hands.

Despite what you might think...the world isn't actually your oyster. It is more complicated than that.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:45 am

I bought a wheelset from Bike24 that took 2 months to arrive, in the meantime they assumed the shipment was lost and sent me another set.
The packaging on the first set was so badly damaged I expected the wheels to be unusable but thankfully they were unmarked and true.
I now have 2 sets of Fulcrum Red Power XL 29er wheels, looking to sell the second set if anyone is interested, still boxed up never opened.
http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/collect ... d-power-xl

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:35 am

I get regular deliveries from Germany (not bike stuff) and can confirm that it is generally slow. You generally wont get the speed of Wiggle and co because the UK online retailers are setup to send tens of thousands of deliveries to Australia each month.

German online retailers will first serve the German market, then the European market, then America and Japan. This is also reflected in general delivery times to international destinations (eg. more traffic between the US and Germany). Australia is still exotic.

One recent change is that postage rates went right down so it is much cheaper to send packages though unless you go Fedex, UPS or an express DHL, you have to wait.
Cycling is in my BNA

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:00 am

Order arrived today 8) Just over 4 weeks... (29 days)

Coincidentally, my Chain Reaction order arrived today too - 8 days...

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:23 pm

I've got a Bike24 order in transit. The tracking number gave me updates soon after its despatch, but I've been away for a week and now that I'm back the tracking number is not giving me any results. I'm using the dhl.de tracker (provided on my email despatch notice). Anyone got any suggestions on what might be going wrong with the tracking?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:00 pm

In theory you should be able to use any dhl tracker, here is the Aussie one: http://www.dhl.com.au/en/express/tracking.html

If it isn't working you can shoot them an email though as I experience and other people experience, delivery from Germany does take time.
DHL is not like an express courier like Fedex or UPS rather is part of Deutsche Post and essentially looks after the big items. Locally in Germany it works quite well with delivery within a few days (after dispatch) though internally I would expect deliveries from 3 - 6 weeks. It is made worse by customs and though they are doing their job, more often than not deliveries from Germany undergo more checking than from the UK or US.
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Not Bike24, but an eBay purchase took almost 6 weeks in transit from Germany via DHL.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:02 pm

It's not the time I'm worried about - I've ordered from Germany before. But I would like the tracking number that did work to work again so that I have at least some idea of where it is. I'll have to email DHL I suppose. Thanks.

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:33 pm

DHL tracking system is currently kaput in one way or another. So that's the problem. They're working on it.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Jean wrote:It's not the time I'm worried about - I've ordered from Germany before. But I would like the tracking number that did work to work again so that I have at least some idea of where it is. I'll have to email DHL I suppose. Thanks.
I suspect your parcel is probably in Customs.

Really, message with orders from Germany is: plan your purchase and order well in advance of when you need the goods, and once the order is placed be patient - it will arrive eventually.

With my eBay purchase I had to raise a Paypal dispute, just to fit in with Paypal's 45 day time limit for raising disputes. And then I had to escalate it to a claim when the goods still had not arrived, only to cancel the claim when they arrived the next day.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:07 am

Arrived today from bike24

12 days total.

DHL tracking site said it was in Australia after 3 days and the rest was domestic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:18 pm

RonK wrote:
Jean wrote:It's not the time I'm worried about - I've ordered from Germany before. But I would like the tracking number that did work to work again so that I have at least some idea of where it is. I'll have to email DHL I suppose. Thanks.
I suspect your parcel is probably in Customs.

Really, message with orders from Germany is: plan your purchase and order well in advance of when you need the goods, and once the order is placed be patient - it will arrive eventually.

With my eBay purchase I had to raise a Paypal dispute, just to fit in with Paypal's 45 day time limit for raising disputes. And then I had to escalate it to a claim when the goods still had not arrived, only to cancel the claim when they arrived the next day.
Yes patience is virtue when buying from Germany (my recent express delivery from bike-discount.de not withstanding). Perversly I think it's the provision of a tracking number that's made this purchase a bit frustrating. If I didn't have it I'd just be waiting for it to show, but with a number I want to see it and see it's progress. When the number does not work it's frustrating.That I'm nearing the end of my parts collection and mentally ready to get on with bike building is not helping :roll: .

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Apparently my shiny new wheel set has cleared Oz customs according to dhl tracker. Not getting my hopes up because of all these reports of stalling at any stage of the process but it's possible I'll have them soon. Ordered 21 Sep so currently 2 weeks wait. Will report back.
New tar seal in front of my wheel

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:50 pm

Ended up getting my wheelset in about 3 weeks. It was lightly packed, but runs true.
New tar seal in front of my wheel

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Redbull wrote:Arrived today from bike24

12 days total.

DHL tracking site said it was in Australia after 3 days and the rest was domestic.

That would have to be a German record. I'd celebrate by downing a few brews if you've anything left over from octoberfest. Seriously though, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the waiting occurred once the items hit Australian shores. Your 12 days I believe is exceptional and way better than my 3.5 weeks from bike24 and my 4.5 weeks (from memory) of my last starbike purchase. Its hard to hold your breath when its a large chunk of change. I just received a tracking number for my German Rohloff purchase. Now I've got to pretend it doesn't exist or I'll drive myself madder constantly checking the DHL website to see if things have moved. Last time, my item was delivered the same day the DHL site acknowledged it had arrived at customs I believe.
I was royally miffed with the updating of the tracking site :!: :twisted:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

ray

Postby ray » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:45 am

rifraf wrote:
Redbull wrote:Arrived today from bike24

12 days total.

That would have to be a German record. I'd celebrate by downing a few brews if you've anything left over from octoberfest. Seriously though, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the waiting occurred once the items hit Australian shores. Your 12 days I believe is exceptional and way better than my 3.5 weeks from bike24 and my 4.5 weeks (from memory) of my last starbike purchase. Its hard to hold your breath when its a large chunk of change. I just received a tracking number for my German Rohloff purchase. Now I've got to pretend it doesn't exist or I'll drive myself madder constantly checking the DHL website to see if things have moved. Last time, my item was delivered the same day the DHL site acknowledged it had arrived at customs I believe.
I was royally miffed with the updating of the tracking site :!: :twisted:
That sounds like a record :D

My bike24 order took 18 days with 3 days in oz. On the other hand Amazon Germany took 5 days via UPS for a Thule bike rack. I better place my bike24 order soon if I want it before xmas :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:59 am

ray wrote: I better place my bike24 order soon if I want it before xmas :)
Yep!

Two years ago I ordered my Rohloff hub from bike24 on about Nov 25. There followed severe snowstorms in Europe (closing most airports for several days) then the backlog hit the Christmas rush. I didn't see the Rohloff until about Jan 20 :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:57 pm

Bump start :D

Placed an order on the 30th of December 2015 and got confirmation the delivery process had started on Monday the 4th of January 2016 which was no surprise given it was approaching new years eve and on a weekend too. Bike 24 account says delivered same date that order was placed!? A little disconcerting but probably just their automation system.

Just checked tracking and now says it's in Australia and being transported to the delivery depot. DHL tracking said the parcel once out of Germany was in the care of Auspost. I presume it's in their steady hands now :D :shock:

Wish me luck and I'll post the outcome. Order included mtb bars and non foldable Big Apple tyres.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:01 pm

Forgot to add that the DHL tracking numbers don't work with the Auspost link they sent. Can understand why it would be worrying especially for high value items.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:22 pm

Leaf T wrote:Bump start :D

Placed an order on the 30th of December 2015 and got confirmation the delivery process had started on Monday the 4th of January 2016 which was no surprise given it was approaching new years eve and on a weekend too. Bike 24 account says delivered same date that order was placed!? A little disconcerting but probably just their automation system.

Just checked tracking and now says it's in Australia and being transported to the delivery depot. DHL tracking said the parcel once out of Germany was in the care of Auspost. I presume it's in their steady hands now :D :shock:

Wish me luck and I'll post the outcome. Order included mtb bars and non foldable Big Apple tyres.
It's not a big deal - I've had plenty of orders from Bike24, and this thread makes it pretty clear that a little patience is necessary. However I have observed that delivery times have improved since my first ever Bike24 order (an expensive Rohloff hub).

Bike24 use Deutsche Post DHL, not the courier DHL Express, so yes local delivery will be handled by Auspost.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:59 pm

Correct! No big deal. Just part of the friendly service with a smile of our favourite cycling forum. Doesn't hurt to keep some threads alive given it was over 3 years ago in this static modern world we live in.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:11 pm

About 2 weeks seems to be what it takes on my orders.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:35 am

Yeah I would guess 2 weeks but I have had some arrive closer to 3 weeks. I expect this from Bike24 so no problem for me. This info is more recent than 2012 so may be of use to others wondering about a B24 order.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:24 am

Well super fast delivery from Bike 24. It arrived around 11am. So 9 days in total from Bike 24's shipping notice email.

But the box is utterly trashed with one end almost completely open. :shock: I'll post pics later if I get around to it. I nearly didn't accept it but I quickly opened it while courier watched. Checked and everything was there and not damaged. Seems okay which is miraculous given there were gaps you could put your hand through. Order included a couple of tyres, new ergon grips and bars and longer stem amongst a couple of other little bits.

A shame Bike 24 can't do better than this because it's a great shop with an excellent range especially for touring. I guess in future if buying from them it would pay to be prepared to refuse accepting delivery in case it arrives damaged and open like mine did.