British or Italian bb threading - How to tell?

dant

British or Italian bb threading - How to tell?

Postby dant » Wed May 14, 2008 8:05 pm

I just got hold of an old Apollo mixte frame. I have removed the cranks and the left hand bb cup. I found Sheldon's cool article on making your own tool to remove the right-hand cup here but how do I determine what type of thread it is? I am assuming Apollo equals British threading - therefore loosen clockwise. Is this correct or is there an easy way to tell?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

ozlegacy

Postby ozlegacy » Wed May 14, 2008 8:29 pm

Wouldn't you try clockwise and if it doesnt loosen try the reverse?

From the little I've learn't the majority of bikes that aren't italian are British threaded which means it's more likely to to be reverse thread on the drive side

Not sure if there is a easier way to tell from looking at the outside?

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed May 14, 2008 8:49 pm

I am NOT one to offer advice here :-) I never want to see a BB again...Sorry Dant, Ozlegacy and I have both had "challenging BB experiences" over the last few days... I'm pretty sure Ozlegacy is right, its reverse on the drive side.

Pete

531db

Re: British or Italian bb threading - How to tell?

Postby 531db » Wed May 14, 2008 9:33 pm

dant wrote:I just got hold of an old Apollo mixte frame. I have removed the cranks and the left hand bb cup. I found Sheldon's cool article on making your own tool to remove the right-hand cup here but how do I determine what type of thread it is? I am assuming Apollo equals British threading - therefore loosen clockwise. Is this correct or is there an easy way to tell?

Thanks in advance.

Adam
An Apollo mixtie frame will have British BB threading, RH cup will have LH (reverse) threads.

dant

Postby dant » Thu May 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Thanks guys for the responses. I just didn't want to risk stripping any threads. Cheers 531db.

sandman

Postby sandman » Fri May 16, 2008 1:31 pm

Those threads are pretty long. I was belting the park tool with a rubber mallet accidentally tightening the BB instead of loosening. I thought I might have ruined the internal thread however it was still quite happy. If you find that it wont budge either way, get some penetrating fluid into the thread and leave it for a bit, that should help to loosen the BB.

CHeers..Pete