Separate Bicycle Lanes for Salvado Road

Aushiker

Separate Bicycle Lanes for Salvado Road

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 22, 2011 11:39 am

Hi

The Western Suburbs Weekly (May 10 - 16, 2011, p. 10) is reporting that the Town of Cambridge approved at an April 2011 Council meeting the installation of separate cycling lanes and pedestrian paths on Salvado Road, Wembley, between Selby Street to Haydn Bunton Drive.

Ashleigh Davis wrote in the Western Suburbs Weekly ...
SEPARATE cycle lanes and pedestrian paths will be part of a new path on Salvado Road, which was approved at last month’s Town of Cambridge council meeting. The $1.6 million cycleway costs will be shared with the City of Subiaco because Salvado Road is on the boundary of the two councils. The shared path will benefit commuter cyclists, who would otherwise have to travel on the road to avoid conflict with pedestrians, and follow a continuous route from Selby Street to Haydn Bunton Drive, connecting to the principle shared path in the railway reserve.
I have not been able to find any confirmation or details from the Town of Cambridge meeting minutes so don't have details such as proposed completion date.

via Aushiker

Andrew
Andrew

rolandp

Re: Separate Bicycle Lanes for Salvado Road

Postby rolandp » Sun May 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Am very interested to see if the proposal also includes access to Salvado Rd, from the PSP that runs under Haydn Bunton Drive, otherwise it may be a white elephant if we can't get to it.

I personally don't have an issue with Salvado Rd, though I only join it around Harbourne St or Bishop St, due to lack of access otherwise from the PSP.

kling

Postby kling » Mon May 23, 2011 1:21 am

Hi Aushiker,

thanks for alerting me to this, have been asking Subi Council for this missing link.

Details on page 95-97 of the council minutes at http://www.cambridge.wa.gov.au/Council/ ... April_2011
and drawings http://www.cambridge.wa.gov.au/files/f1 ... mFile=true

Does include a connection to the PSP, which will be much better than the acute angle turn and jump down onto the road currently required (good thing my Silvio has dual suspension)

cheers
Kendrick

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 am

The intersection with the PSP is quite fancy!

I'll be interested to see how the traffic light sequencing works for cylists - are they going to hold general traffic on red arrows or make every cyclist stop and waiting for the cycle to restart?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 23, 2011 11:55 am

kling wrote:Hi Aushiker,

thanks for alerting me to this, have been asking Subi Council for this missing link.

Details on page 95-97 of the council minutes at http://www.cambridge.wa.gov.au/Council/ ... April_2011
and drawings http://www.cambridge.wa.gov.au/files/f1 ... mFile=true

Does include a connection to the PSP, which will be much better than the acute angle turn and jump down onto the road currently required (good thing my Silvio has dual suspension)

cheers
Kendrick
Thanks Kendrick. I am sure I searched those minutes too :oops:

Andrew
Andrew

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue May 31, 2011 11:32 pm

kling wrote: Does include a connection to the PSP, which will be much better than the acute angle turn and jump down onto the road currently required (good thing my Silvio has dual suspension)
Hmm - does look like a bit of an improvement but doesn't fix that gawdawful underpass.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:08 pm

12 months on, and has this been built?

City of Subiaco has a $85,750 grant this year. Using NearMap (latest images 27-May-2012), I can't see this section on it.

Does anyone know what the status of this area is?

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:33 pm

I drive down salvado road weekly on my way to Lords Subiaco. I don't think any progress has been made on this project. :(
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

wexford

Postby wexford » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:02 am

I live in that area, there's nothing going on except for the building developments next to the church opposite the hospital. Perhaps they're waiting for that to complete, which won't be for another year yet!

kling

Postby kling » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:46 am

Have only seen a new short connector between Harborne St to the existing path (south side of Salvado Road)

Will try to ride that route soon.

cheers
Kendrick

kling

Postby kling » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:47 am

Checked (forgot to post!) this bicycle lane is still not done. :(

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:54 am

Bringing up an old topic 3.5 years ago.

A new roundabout is being installed on Salvado Rd, for the entrance of St John of Gods Hospital.

I thought it was for an extended lane into the hospital, sadly the road works today stuck in the merge point, to direct traffic what now is very clear will be a roundabout. There is already a roundabout just west of this location, where cars just love to merge, or in some cases, not. Now if you are in the car, it is the beep on the horn, when you are on the bike, there has been more than one brown pants experience for me when you realise that the car has put their foot down to beat me through that roundabout.

Pretty sure I haven't spotted any 'separate bicycle lanes' as part of the current road works.

Is 3.5 years an ok length of time for these to occur?

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:31 am

I live right near there and commute that way daily by bike and car. I think its suicide heading east up salvado by bike.
There's so many pinch and merge points that its an accident waiting to happen. When I drive up there I find it extremely stressful keeping track of all the cyclists positions.
I don't think the majority of drivers would show the same amount of care.
I use the cycle path and road one street south of Salvado which is much quieter and greener next to the park.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:41 pm

rolandp wrote:Pretty sure I haven't spotted any 'separate bicycle lanes' as part of the current road works.
Any idea who's paying for it? Currently it's a cluster as it's functionally a roundabout but looks like a T-junction. What will the status of the entrance to SoJoG be? - is it a road (with right of way vs westbound traffic) or is it a driveway (with no right of way to enter the road)

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:46 pm

Thoglette wrote:What will the status of the entrance to SoJoG be? - is it a road (with right of way vs westbound traffic) or is it a driveway (with no right of way to enter the road)
In the case of a roundabout it doesn't matter - once traffic from SJOG enters the roundabout, westbound traffic must give way to it, so it will function as a normal roundabout.
Jointly funded project apparently: http://www.sjog.org.au/hospitals/subiac ... pdate.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:03 pm

wellington_street wrote: Jointly funded project apparently: http://www.sjog.org.au/hospitals/subiac ... pdate.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The project is funded by St John of God Subiaco Hospital, City of Subiaco and Town of Cambridge."

So the bike lanes should be in there. I'm rather concerned that the finished product will have a pinch point, west bound, at the top of the hill.

kling

Postby kling » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:48 pm

More information page numbered 29
http://www.subiaco.wa.gov.au/getattachm ... -June-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Town of Cambridge will be managing the construction of the roundabout with work expected to commence in the 2014/15 financial year.
Consultation
This project has been the subject of consultation with the two major adjoining landowners and is the result of representations by them and the Town of Cambridge. No other community consultation has been undertaken.
Tellingly 1) it's behind schedule- I think the councils have had other issues like survival on their mind
2) no community consultation.
3) no mention of cycle lane.

I avoid this section of Salvado Rd...

Safe cycling, friends

KL

perthbiker

Postby perthbiker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:56 pm

The roundabout servicing the SJOG driveway is now just three metres from the stairs that lead to the shopping centre and train station. There is not enough room for the separated cycle path approved by Town of Cambridge in April 2011. There's a stuff-up here somewhere. Not sure if it is Cambridge or Subiaco.One thing's for sure, both of these local councils like to profess sustainable transport policies but neither has the guts to push through any significant infrastructure that will make a change. The default position is always to maximise movement of cars at the expense of people riding bicycles and walking. In this particular case, it appears both councils have focused on the interests of a private company and have neglected to ensure the previously agreed plans are implemented.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:26 am

perthbiker wrote: In this particular case, it appears both councils have focused on the interests of a private company and have neglected to ensure the previously agreed plans are implemented.
Time for a letter to The Post.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:31 am

Thoglette wrote:
perthbiker wrote: In this particular case, it appears both councils have focused on the interests of a private company and have neglected to ensure the previously agreed plans are implemented.
Time for a letter to The Post.
If you do, there has also been Roads to Recovery funding at some point, the signs are still up at the west end. Right next to the 'footpath only cyclists must walk' sign.

So additional chance to put in bike lanes missed.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:51 pm

There looks like there was plenty of room to build a cycle lane but they chose to build a garden bed instead. How nice!

The other thing they hadn't considered is the hospital carpark is often completely full in the afternoons. Cars queue up waiting for people to leave before granted entry. Now people queue back into the roundabout and nobody moves!!
Fantastic stuff.

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:31 pm

I live to the right of the photo. In driving and riding (usually riding) I've never seen a queue, other than during the current road works.

As for commuting through there, I just claim the lane. This has never been a problem, other than people thinking that the road is two lanes wide then trying to merge. Making it a single lane now will actually make the area safer for cyclists claiming the lane.

Sure a dedicated lane would have been nice but this is a big improvement for me, and I ride through there daily.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:41 pm

I work in one of the offices at the base of North One and have the privilege of looking at it throughout the day!
This intersection will need another revision in my opinion.

I agree that the whole road should be single lane with no street parking and a cycle lane.
Otherwise Cambridge and Salvado could be one way in opposite directions as they serve mostly the same purpose.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:26 am

Bringing up an old topic, once again.

City of Subiaco was awarded $2,500 Local Government Grant for this financial year:
Design of a 500m long 2.6m wide red asphalt Shared Path along Salvado Rd, Subiaco between Bishop St and Harbone St over one year

Source Department of Transport - Local Government Grants 2016/17
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/activetr ... grants.asp

Note, City of Subiaco had a significant grant back in 2012 to do install the lanes, which never occurred, so wonder if additional grant will help this time, in particular as the 2012 grant was for $88k, this years grant $2.5k.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:43 am

A grant for 2.5k seems almost counterproductive, I reckon the council would have spent more than that on preparing the grant application.