My first enduro

2bob32

My first enduro

Postby 2bob32 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:51 am

Hi, Am thinking of riding my first enduro soon. Just wanting to get a heads up on what gear I should take with me on the ride. http://www.summerofcycling.com/mistymou ... rathon.htm

Also would like some advice on ride etiquette, being a newby & 60 yo. Reckon I'll be a tad slow & probably riding a more careful leisurely pace. Any advice apart from "Keep the bloody hell out of everyone's way"

Cheers Bob

trailgumby

Re: My first enduro

Postby trailgumby » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:29 pm

First of all, well done on taking this on! :D Looks like a great event. Which distance are you choosing?

Shoot me a PM. I have some material you will find useful.

With regard to what to take, I would suggest the following:
Given this is a lap race rather than point to point, you have the option of going lighter and omitting the Camelbak hydration pack in pursuit of more comfortable riding.

You should carry:
At least one spare tube, plus tyre levers, pump and patch kit, and know how to use them. CO2 inflator is optional.
Multi-tool including chainbreaker
SRAM quicklink x 2 to 3
Ref's whistle for signalling if in distress
Mobile phone

Nutrition requirements will be covered in the other material.

2bob32

Postby 2bob32 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Thx for the reply trailgumby. I have most of the gear you mentioned except the whistle. Will acquire 1 for the ride. Am quite proficient at tyre repairs & general bike repairs etc. (I'm a mechanic so I darn well should be). Only gonna tackle the 20km for a first up & see how I go. Have been doing a few rides at Nerang State Forest & quite enjoying it. Also check You Tube vids out for hints & skills to practice. Jingos, I'm like a little kid again & loving it. Will Pm you my details.
Cheers Bob

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:40 pm

20km is a great start.

I forgot to include spare derailleur hanger in the parts list. I carry one on my trail rides as it's a long walk back on some of the out-and-backs we do... and I have needed it on two occcasions in the last couple of years. One was from a stick, and the other was a ham-fisted me applying too much force attempting to straighten it after hitting a rock with the RD.

Goo wrappers (or a $5 note if desperate) make for great tyre liners if you slash a sidewall on a rock.

I also tend to carry a small first aid kit - it was a requirement for my first 50km event and I thought I might as well leave it in there as it weighs very little, but that would probably be overkill for a first race..

A_P

Postby A_P » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:17 pm

Gday Bob,
Good on you for having a go at enduros. Training at Nerang will certainly put you in good stead.
Cheers
AP

2bob32

Postby 2bob32 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:47 am

Thx fellas.

Will make a shopping list. By the way, where do you carry all this, in a camelback? I've got a rear carrier that attaches to the stem but was thinking it was too big and bulky for the enduro. A seat bag I've got is too small. Fits a tube and nothing else. Might get an "L" plate and stick on my back. Jks

Cheers Bob

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:37 pm

For lap races where the circuit is up to 25km, the elites tend to carry their spare tube taped to the seatpost with a CO2 inflater(how they keep the dirt out of the nozzle I'm not too sure) and the rest of the stuff goes in jersey pockets. They top up the nutrition from a folding table of their own or a team mate in Transition (mtb racing's equivalent of the pits).

For us mortals and general trail riding it tends to be camelbaks. I ditched my saddle bag after the zip came open on a ride. With the increasing prevalence of telescoping seatposts you don't see saddlebags much at all... I reckon in a few seasons they'll have gone the way of bar ends.

FWIW don't put nutrition product in your Camelbak - they go disgusting and are impossible to properly clean once you've got some growth.

2bob32

Postby 2bob32 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:04 pm

I reckon I'm getting a handle on all this. eBay a/c will get a bit of a work out in next couple of weeks. Might use a bum bag & camel back to carry gear & remove my carrier from the seat tube.

I see ur comments come up very regularly sharing a lot of wisdom & common sense in ur posts so I have a lot of respect for ur advice. Thx again Trailgumby.

Cheers Bob

2bob32

Postby 2bob32 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:40 pm

My First Enduro canned . My lad's footy finals come first. Dunno why they don't have the match on Sunday (same as first 2 weeks of finals). Wonder if they'll bend & switch to Sunday just for me........................Got me doubts. Ah well have to delay my first until October. http://www.summerofcycling.com/freedommarathon.htm
Will give me a bit more time for training in Nerang Forest.

2bob32

Postby 2bob32 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:03 pm

Does anyone know of a website that lists upcoming mtb events

A_P

Postby A_P » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:51 pm

2bob32