NSW Police book 1500 in one day

find_bruce

NSW Police book 1500 in one day

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:47 am

According to a press release issued by the NSW Police, they booked 1500 drivers in one day for offences other than the usual speeding & red light running. 902 motorists were issued infringement notices for using hand-held mobile phones.

Makes you wonder what the cops are doing the other 364 days.

r2160

Re: NSW Police book 1500 in one day

Postby r2160 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:03 am

But hang on, the government keeps telling us that speeding is the worst thing . . .

However, its about time that the police starting focussing on things other than speeding.

And just think, that's revenue of around $400,000 in one day . . .

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

David_G

Postby David_G » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:29 am

r2160 wrote:But hang on, the government keeps telling us that speeding is the worst thing . . .

However, its about time that the police starting focussing on things other than speeding.

cheers
Glenn
Are you implying speeding isn't serious?

If drivers slow down to the speed limit or a bit under I'm sure they have more time to concentrate on the other multiple things required to drive safely
If the cops spent all their time pinging erant drivers for whatever, which they could easily do, then they wouldn't have any time for anything else.
It must come down to how they manage their time.
Blitzes work to prevent, but the shock wears off and we as humans will slip back into our slack ways, till we get caught or hear of the next blitz to focus us again.
I think that's the way it works
I just love riding my bike!

r2160

Postby r2160 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:39 am

People need to read the words rather than assume.

I am saying that we keep getting speeding forced down our throats as being the worst thing.

As far as I am concerned, mobile phones distract a driver FAR MORE than 1km over the speed limit, such as was displayed in the police report of a mobile phone user colliding head on.

902 motorists were fined using mobile phones. 902 in one day. The number of near misses I constantly witness where people are using mobile phones while driving is astonishing. You have all seen them. They are the ones weaving all over the road.

Nokia and Apple have the ability to stop mobile phones working above a set speed. The do gooders suddenly jump on the ship and yell about our rights. What did we all do before mobile phones? We somehow made the time to take a phone call when we weren't driving. Nobody is so busy that they don't have time to stop.

Motorists seem incapable of using blinkers, giving appropriate warning of turning or changing lanes, giving way, and generally being courteous to other road users.

I consider ALL these things far more serious than the focus that our police and government have on being a few km over the limit, and I never said that excessive speed is a good thing.

I see drivers doing 10-15km under the limit and the way they are driving often presents a significant danger to those around.

Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:47 am

It should be impossible for a Leraner driver to receive a fine if under proper instruction at the time. The Police are usually much more lenient on L platers, with most of their indiscretions being of a relatively minor nature. So for the plod to fine an L plater begs the question, what was the fully lisenced driver in the vehicle doing at the time? :?
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:25 pm

r2160 wrote:But hang on, the government keeps telling us that speeding is the worst thing . . .

cheers
Glenn
David_G wrote:Are you implying speeding isn't serious?

If drivers slow down to the speed limit or a bit under I'm sure they have more time to concentrate on the other multiple things required to drive safely
If the cops spent all their time pinging erant drivers for whatever, which they could easily do, then they wouldn't have any time for anything else.
It must come down to how they manage their time.
Blitzes work to prevent, but the shock wears off and we as humans will slip back into our slack ways, till we get caught or hear of the next blitz to focus us again.
I think that's the way it works
Nice to see you have entirely bought the government's line about speed & you are in good company - Labour MLC Walt Secord has criticised fines for using a mobile phone whilst driving ''This is simply about revenue raising,'' - this was in response to evidence from NSW Police Assistant Commissioner John Hartley that would equate to catching 330,000 drivers per year - more than 6 times the number currently detected of about 50,000 per year.

You tell me though which is more dangerous someone doing 55 in a 50 zone or somone using their mobile phone whilst driving?

Then try telling Jason Stortz, or at least his family & friends, that using a mobile phone whilst driving is not inherently dangerous, because that is exactly how he came to die. The young driver in that case didn't get a $265 fine though, he was sentenced to 7 years in prison with a 4 year non parole period, which the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal recently upheld.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:34 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:It should be impossible for a Leraner driver to receive a fine if under proper instruction at the time. The Police are usually much more lenient on L platers, with most of their indiscretions being of a relatively minor nature. So for the plod to fine an L plater begs the question, what was the fully lisenced driver in the vehicle doing at the time? :?
You would think the instructing driver would also commit an offence, but as best I can figure, in NSW that only applies to drink driving

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:25 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:It should be impossible for a Leraner driver to receive a fine if under proper instruction at the time. The Police are usually much more lenient on L platers, with most of their indiscretions being of a relatively minor nature. So for the plod to fine an L-plater begs the question, what was the fully lisenced driver in the vehicle doing at the time? :?
A couple of years back I was side-swiped by a learner driver, almost came off the bike with my elbow grazing along the fender, mirror and doors. Luckily I continued riding and signalled for the driver to stop. The person in the passenger seat (assuming it was a licenced driver) turned to look back, but then they drove off :evil:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:17 pm

find_bruce wrote: Makes you wonder what the cops are doing the other 364 days.
My guess is pretty much the same as that day, they just didn't tell you about it.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:08 pm

As long as they ping all naughties, no exceptions, they can do it every day IMO.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:17 pm

2 weeks ago an Victorian associate who is a cycling safety advocate was cut off and forcefully knocked into the curb by an L plater. When he caught up to her to - politely I might add - ask what she was doing and if she saw him, she flipped him the bird. Her dad was the passenger. They then simply drove off after a heavy impact. He could have been injured, smashed his equipmet, no exchange of details etc.
Her dad needs to ask himself what parenting is and why he isn't one, an as for the daughter?

The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Surely 90% charged was thanks to other motorists reporting them to the police and supplying them with there Registration. :lol: :lol:

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:21 am

It should not be a case of, a blitz here and there, or let's concentrate on speeders. It should be everything, all the time, there needs to be a bigger police presence on the roads and not just the hotspots that will turn the biggest revenue in the shortest time.

I don't agree with high fines, these do nothing apart from raising revenue. It should be more demanding like time in jail, work gangs or similar. Humiliate these idiots and they may not be so keen to come back for a second dose.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:24 am

What ever is the benefit in sending ordinary drivers (especially the young ones) to 'Crime Tech.' :?: :| :( :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?

arkle

Postby arkle » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Every single time I pull up at any traffic light in Adelaide there is always, without fail, at least one driver in a car around me either talking with a mobile phone pressed to their ear, or reading/sending text messages (usually surreptitiously, with their phone held low and their eyes cast downward).

That there are at least 50 traffic light intersections in the city alone, cycling once every two minutes say, with traffic generally coming from four directions, means that there are at least 6,000 mobile phone users breaking the law in the city every hour. Not to mention the hundreds of intersections outside the city, and of course the thousands of kilometres of roads between them. It's a joke.

I think phones should be rendered inoperable in all vehicles. Or have a pager function but you have to have the car engine switched off to respond.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:17 pm

r2160 wrote:Nokia and Apple have the ability to stop mobile phones working above a set speed. The do gooders suddenly jump on the ship and yell about our rights. What did we all do before mobile phones? We somehow made the time to take a phone call when we weren't driving. Nobody is so busy that they don't have time to stop.
the problem with that is there are a range of circumstances in which phone usage would be blocked, other than when the user was driving.

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:11 pm

It's a new world, mobile phones and driving go hand in hand. Hands free, ear plugs - these work well.

Come on, how about police do a "blitz" on real criminals, not citizens breaking poorly designed, outdated road laws.

Oh wait, I know, the traffic infringements create revenue and not much court usage, whilst prosecuting real criminals costs money, court time and relatively rarely raises any money. Makes economic sense to have more traffic cops than detectives.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Peacewise wrote:It's a new world, mobile phones and driving go hand in hand. Hands free, ear plugs - these work well.
I read somewhere the other day where one of the states (may of been Vic) was going to ban talking on hands-free setups for P-platers as authorities deemed it just as distracting as holding a phone and talking into it.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:01 pm

Peacewise wrote:It's a new world, mobile phones and driving go hand in hand. Hands free, ear plugs - these work well.

Come on, how about police do a "blitz" on real criminals, not citizens breaking poorly designed, outdated road laws.
Not really so 'outdated' - it's simply about the driver maintaining attention to their key task. Mobile phone use, even hands-free, detracts quite a lot from that task, and hence places other road users in danger. There have been a number of similar studies into this that I have read of. I'd be more than happy to see a blanket ban on all phone use by drivers, hands-free included.
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Ross wrote:I read somewhere the other day where one of the states (may of been Vic) was going to ban talking on hands-free setups for P-platers as authorities deemed it just as distracting as holding a phone and talking into it.
Currently in force for those on a P1 plate, according to the current restrictions.
Vicroads wrote:No mobile phone use including hands free or hands held or any messaging of any kind for P1 probationary licence holders - Note: P2 probationary and full licence holders can use hands free
Mandatory helmet law?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:44 pm

In NSW at least, Learner & P1 drivers must not use a mobile phone at all, whether the car is moving or stationary but not parked - Road Rules 300-1.

All other drivers must not use a mobile phone that the driver is holding in his or her hand while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked - Road Rules 300.

The later is part of the national road rules & should be applicable in all States & territories