Continental x king

Sunny_rider

Continental x king

Postby Sunny_rider » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi everyone I'm new to mtb scene, I have a road cycling background. I've started to ride some trails on the central coast of NSW. My ride is a Giant Yukon 2009, nothing special compared to what most of you guys are riding. The tyres that are on the bike at the moment are Kendas, they were on the bike when I purchased it, are very slippery in the loose stuff. Thinking of putting a pair of Continental X Kings on it, I can get them for $35 each. But before I do I would like some opinions from the people who ride trails
I have Continentals GP4000s on my road bike and they are great so I thought I'd stick with the same brand.

Thanks in advance

trailgumby

Re: Continental x king

Postby trailgumby » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:43 pm

Lucky you! You have some awesome trails in your area. Awaba is brilliant, and Ourimbah is pretty good too - well worth the day trip from Sydney, where I'm from.

Conti makes some good rubber, the GP4000s is excellent, as is the Sport Contact 26x1.3 commuter tyre. They make some decent off-road rubber too. Get the folding bead version - wire bead is cheaper and tends to use harer, less grippy rubber.

Kenda tyres are also generally pretty good, so long as the pressure is set appropriately. Small Block 8s are pretty popular.

Running pressures too high is a common roadie mistake on the trails. What are you running your tyres at?

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:32 pm

I have the X-King in a 29 x 2.4 for a front tyre. I love it. It's rails turns and I am yet to have slide out in sand or mud.

Not sure how long it will last as a rear tyre but the front as about 600kms on it and its hardly worn.

Next time I find them cheap again I am buying a few.

limetang

Postby limetang » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:09 pm

I have an X-King 26x2.4 and also a Mountain King 26x2.2, I prefer the Mountain King.
It originally felt a bit too knobbly and I thought it would be slow, but its been great in dry conditions as well as the disgustingly wet race on the weekend!
That said, the X-King is really good as well... I dont think you can go wrong! (ps- X-King on chain reaction cycles are real cheap.. approx $20 for wire bead and $30 for folding)

Sunny_rider

Postby Sunny_rider » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 pm

The kenda tyres aren't the small block 8's. Checked the tyres and nothing stamped on them as to what they are. Tyre pressures are 40psi rear, 35psi front. Nothing like my roadie 110 rear and 100 front.

I'm only doing scenic trails in BWNP, nothing to technical like Ourimbah just yet.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:44 pm

Pressures are still a bit high. I run 23-25 on the front with tubeless. With tubes you could easily drop to 30 on the front and see a substantial improvement in grip, control and comfort. Try 35 in back for starters. Your lower limit will be when you pinch flat.

Yeah, the OEM no-name Kenda would be a good thing to ditch. Your tyres are what keep you safe, so it's worthwhile making sure you get good ones.

redninja

Postby redninja » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Using these for my rears at the moment and loving it! http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/bicycle ... n/bbg.aspx

Noob questions - whats the difference between folding bead and wire bead?
Virtue 3
Izoard XP
VNT 29
Bambike

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Folding bead uses a bead made of kevlar or similar.

For you the attraction is reduced weight.

For the manufacturer and retailer the advantage is increased revenue.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;