What pedals for track bikes?

Apollo3

What pedals for track bikes?

Postby Apollo3 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:17 am

Standard Shinano SPL-SL? but do the clip up tighter

or

SPD-R - would need new shoes as apparently there are special shoes for these clips...
http://www.velodromeshop.net/index.php? ... ct&id=1737

or

something funky like this?

http://www.velodromeshop.net/index.php?p=product&id=812

Seaching for track pedals seems to mainly bring up fixie type pedals.

I don't want to risk having my foot come out whilst riding and from what I've seen at the local track people are using clip shoes with straps. Should of asked them what they were using but forgot.

r2160

Re: What pedals for track bikes?

Postby r2160 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:51 am

I have spoken to many people at the track about this and they run a mixture of pedals.

Shimano (mainly using red cleats ie no float), Look, Speedplay, track pedals with straps.

From what I have seen, it is pretty rare to pull a pedal. The other thing a few guys do is use the shimano road pedals, and cable tie a velcro tie onto the pedals and use that as a strap.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:20 am

For starters - whatever you've got.

If you have issues, upgrade.

The handful of track races I've done were in MTB shoes on SPDs.
Most people use road pedals.
N00bs who don't have pedals/shoes of their own tend to use toe clips and straps.
Pros... well, really, is that relevant? Clips, cleats and double straps. Mainly to avoid pulling out when trying to rip their cranks off on standing starts, as I understand.

There seems to be a perception that you need to buy a track bike and a full kit of pro-grade (or copy) gear before you try track racing. That's certainly not the case, and clubs go out of their way to make the sport accessible to newcomers who don't have all the gear. Just turn up and have a go. The club will almost certainly let you use one of their bikes, maybe for a nominal fee. Use their toe clip pedals, or they might let you swap your own pedals on if you bring them.

When (not if ;-) ) you love it, then you can start thinking about getting your own gear.

tim

r2160

Postby r2160 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:36 am

Most clubs also have gear you can borrow to get started or at least try out first, before you drop any money on your own gear.

When I first started, I simply brought my own pedals and shoes and the club sorted a bike for me to try.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

toppity

Postby toppity » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:53 am

all the above is correct. Try before for go all out. But when the time comes consider the Keywin system with track adapters. That's what I use and can't imagine shearing the pin to allow them to release.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks for the responses :-), I'm already dedicated to track racing, the bike is on order so no going back!

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:59 am

Possibly our club's best sprinter has always used the SPD-SL with no straps. When I queried him, he said always keep an eye on your cleats for wear and replace when necessary. Never had a foot pull out. He also replaces pedals every so often too.

I do like the Keywin pedals mentioned earlier. I already had SPD-SLs on both my road and track bikes when I came across them. There's lots of positive chatter about them, and I might go that way in the future, so perhaps consider them if you have separate track and road shoes.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:15 am

Keywin with Track Adapter

Requires a lever to be flicked to release -> Not recommended for road use for obvious dangers
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:06 pm

ozdavo wrote:Keywin with Track Adapter

Requires a lever to be flicked to release -> Not recommended for road use for obvious dangers
A buddy of mine had these and ended up taking them off after two crashes resulting from forgetting to release them :-)

I use my speedplay x series same as on the road, have never had a set of these pull out on the road or track.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

toppity

Postby toppity » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:26 am

jacks1071 wrote:
ozdavo wrote:Keywin with Track Adapter

A buddy of mine had these and ended up taking them off after two crashes resulting from forgetting to release them :-)

I use my speedplay x series same as on the road, have never had a set of these pull out on the road or track.
You do need to be careful with the track adaptors. But I haven't fallen over yet. I have Keywins on my track bike and all my road bikes (without the track apadtors of course). To add or take off the track adaptors is not a massive job.

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:39 am

I always used regular road pedals on the track, if I was a stronger sprinter (or any sort of sprinter!) I might consider increasing the spring tension but have never had an issue of pulling a foot - I think people fear it a lot more than it actually happens

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:42 am

unless youre just back from London, your normal road pedals are fine. feel free to tighten the release spring if you like.

toppity

Postby toppity » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:40 am

DavidI wrote:I always used regular road pedals on the track, if I was a stronger sprinter (or any sort of sprinter!) I might consider increasing the spring tension but have never had an issue of pulling a foot - I think people fear it a lot more than it actually happens
I've seen a few people pull out (3 I can think of), some with average results (going over handlebars). Not sure why it happens though.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am

I've seen 2 personally and heard of more. Each time seen and heard of, the cleats are the culprit. Keep the mating surface in good nick and they should be right. They're not that expensive to replace. Much cheaper than bruised ego or medical bills.