Ice Adventure FS HD

Baalzamon

Re: Ice Adventure FS HD

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Nobody wrote:Thanks for the reply. If you get some numbers in the future (like no wind flat ground average) versus previous under the same conditions, I'll be interested to know. :)
Today 100km route. Fairing & Wheel covers = 10kph faster on downhills. I was catching Phils vortex+ going down Jarrahdale Rd. At one point 60kph my fairing did flare upwards and become flattened at the front. Didn't happen when I did 80kph tho. Something to keep my eye on.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks for the reply. Looks like it was worth it then. :)

Phil

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:51 am

My max downhill speed this run was 76.1kmh - last trip wind conditions were slightly more favourable so I hit 78.9kmh.

This time round Stuart was doing 82.5kmh, and had to brake to avoid going into the back of a truck. Yeah definately helped.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:32 am

Good work fellas !!

82.5 kph must be awesome.....any video ?

Phil

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:42 pm

Stuart had his GoPro mounted....

I ain't that techonogical.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:23 pm

C'mon Baal.....

Give us video ! If you use Dashware software you can integrate your gps data as well !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Riggsbie wrote:C'mon Baal.....

Give us video ! If you use Dashware software you can integrate your gps data as well !!

Yes i have Dashware but having problems showing speed, etc. It shows the very 3km speed first and nothing else when video is moving...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Just moved my cleats downwards, and due to that would need to move boom, now OFC I had the t-cycle clamps for my fairing preventing the boom moving. So I have changed where the t-cycle clamps where and now the fairing is even more aeor :mrgreen:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Couldn't get my GPS data injected into it. It went into the video but only showed the very 1st values and never moved on. Wonder if it was due to my doing a lap, but I did try the whole file and nothing worked either :(
Odd as I've done this before with the same setup...

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:22 pm

I've been up and down there many times in the car. Always thought it would be fun to ride down. The ride up would put me off a bit though.

The faring seems to move around a lot or is that just accentuated by the camera?
Perhaps it needs a bit more curvature side to side or something to stiffen it up.

John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:32 pm

John Lewis wrote:I've been up and down there many times in the car. Always thought it would be fun to ride down. The ride up would put me off a bit though.

The faring seems to move around a lot or is that just accentuated by the camera?
Perhaps it needs a bit more curvature side to side or something to stiffen it up.

John
Yep the fairing was moving a bit a lot and got a shock when it did square up on the nose around 60km/hr. But when I was doing 80km/hr it didn't do that so I put it down to the road surface. First time I've been down that with the fairing on.
I'll take some pics tomorrow as I've adjusted it since then so hopefully is more stiff. But it is quite flexible. I have thought about putting something on the sides to make it even more slipstream tho which might stiff it up more.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:05 am

Baalzamon wrote:I have thought about putting something on the sides to make it even more slipstream tho which might stiff it up more.
Building a velomobile shell around it should do it.
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_111298/article.html

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:40 am

BZ that is a pretty good result in speed by the added fearing well worth looking into for touring because I have hit some nasty head winds and that mounted on the front would I'm sure make a big difference.

Ricky

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:01 pm

Nobody wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:I have thought about putting something on the sides to make it even more slipstream tho which might stiff it up more.
Building a velomobile shell around it should do it.
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_111298/article.html
Your bad, but I was having evil thoughts last night of seeing what I would need to do to make a CF tailbox that can hold stuff as well :roll:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:12 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:BZ that is a pretty good result in speed by the added fearing well worth looking into for touring because I have hit some nasty head winds and that mounted on the front would I'm sure make a big difference.

Ricky
Not only good for head winds, but it acts in reverse as a sail. YES it can catch the wind and pull you along weeee free speed :mrgreen:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:10 pm

So today was Audax Peel Around Peel. Take my seat off my trike and wheel it outside. As I do this I notice a bit of plastic fall off hmm. I had noticed some cracking on the QR for the seat. Sure enough the plastic inside the QR had come off. Fix was to get one from a QR skewer. So get to the event I was running. Take trike out of the car, first thing I noticed when I was to put the fix on was the angle I had the seat bracket was not going to allow me to put it on. OK seat bracket angle change by one. Get that fixed and put seat onto the lowest recline I could.
Today I had the fastest average speed on my trike!!! So I might leave that seat angle at that.
Cruised down to Mandurah with average of 25.5kph and when I got back to the start it was down to 24.9kph. Not a bad effort if I say so myself
Edit adding garmin data

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Nice one !

Just finished a heavy training weekend.......just completed 225km in 24 hours (Saturday afternoon - 130km, Sunday morning 95km) with an average speed of 26.8 kph and average heart rate of 140 bpm......

At this rate the Round the Bay should be easy ;-)

But not had any time to play with my new machine......

Tomorrow I will have a go on the Mango after work !

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:07 pm

OH forgot to add
I moved my cleats back on my road shoes. Yes it improved things and didn't start getting numb till past the 80km mark. So solution = move cleats back. Road shoes how...
So speedplay time with the fore/aft adaptor

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:08 pm

So now my trike has no pedals, YEP removed them and put them back on my Masi. Reason, Speedplay pedals in the air now and I should have them by Friday :mrgreen:
Also taking my Masi for a commute to see how my shoulder likes it now. Easier to get DF into work that my trike hah. But winds are heap easier on my trike, love that fairing... So it's a trade off. Faster on Masi, slower on trike, trike deals with wind better and feel it a lot less and I typically have headwinds riding to work and from work, trike more comfy and no numb hands etc

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:09 pm

So I decided for the long weekend over here to do a section of the Munda Biddi. Photo was taken at the Wungong Campsite which is about 2km's from Jarrahdale rd. I switched out the tryker tryes, put the Big Apples on the front and got a Maxxis Mad Max BMX tyre 20x2.25" Just fitted into my stays! Have mm clearance. Glad I got that as I needed it for pea gravel.
Later on heading back to Jarrahdale rd I managed to tip it! No damage done, but later realised OOPS bottle missing... Got up and dusted myself and righted the trike and continued on. Trike is sloooow on dirt...
My plans to get to Dandalup campsite got busted wide open with a 10kph average speed and a puncture later on putting the nail in the coffin so I aborted at Jarrahdale.
But that rear tyre, one section was CRUEL 12% gradient in loose pea gravel! Without that tyre I would have been walking up it. I was doing 3-4kph in sections and rear tyre would spin and grip, repeating every now again. Never got a full spin. RD managed to collect twigs and I got up about half a dozen times to clear the RD.
Next time I plan to do the Munda Biddi I'll have a MTB instead!

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 am

Ambitious effort !

I think the Adventure looks pretty tough !!!

How did the Big Apples and suspension cope with the lumps and bumps ?

How much did the trike weight with all the equipment loaded up ?

Riggsbie

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:24 am

Sounds lick your having a blast Stuart and your loaded rig looks great that little side bag you have there for easy reach how is that mounted?

Ricky

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Ambitious effort !

I think the Adventure looks pretty tough !!!

How did the Big Apples and suspension cope with the lumps and bumps ?

How much did the trike weight with all the equipment loaded up ?

Riggsbie

Suspension coped well, I had the BA's at 45psi to give more comfort. Rear Maxxis Mad Max was at 40psi which was recommended. I wouldn't want to go lower on that as it would rub the rear stays, I would need 2.15 or 2" for that. I figured as well, the rear gives the traction and the 2 front tyres don't really give much traction. So why go knobbie all round, just get one rear tyre to give the traction. Only needed knobbies on front once really but turned out puncture was the cause.
Didn't weigh the trike all up hah
Each pannier was 3kg in weight there abouts.
Rack top bag had my Exped dreamwalker 450 sleeping bag, tarptent scarp 2 with 3 poles and 4L water. So that bag was about 6-7kg.
Hidden from view is a fastback 3l bladder which I had a 2l bladder in off my seat.
Handlebar bag had a few kg in it.
So excluding trike base weight + rack + fairing which are known weights.
trike would have been an extra 17kg in weight there abouts with the panniers + water
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Sounds lick your having a blast Stuart and your loaded rig looks great that little side bag you have there for easy reach how is that mounted?

Ricky
That little side bag is the Orlieb Ultimate 5 handlebar bag. It is mounted with the Ice side handlebar bag mount and a Riken Kaul klick fix adaptor. I can access it when rolling and pick out muesli bars or fruit etc quite easily and reseal it.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:53 pm

hey Stu, just thought I'd chime in...

when I was riding the Kep and bits of the Munda Biddi I used a Maxxis 1.75 Holy Roller on the rear, cause it has a kind of reverse knobby tread and is faster on the bitumen, but gave great grip in the dirt. The now defunct 1.75 Comp Pool slicks on the front. I ran all the tyres around 35psi, though I wasn't quite as loaded down as you : )

cheers

glen
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:56 pm

It's a sad day for me
No more trike, I sold it onto cheesewheel and it has now been picked up. Had to be spread across 2 boxes and I had to strip everything off the front section. Front suspension removed, handlebar removed, RD cable and right drum cables removed. Rear has been fully pulled off and put in the other box. Found the rear came off quite easily and putting it back on was easy as well.