2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

yarravalleyplodder

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks Zakka, I am confident of finishing the ARB but I would like to do it well, so my training must continue :D

Great stuff Dave, 230km in a week is good work. I wish I could commute but Lilydale to the city each day would be too much and I wouldnt see the kids, which is not as bad as it seems sometimes :wink:

Oh and I plan to put photos of the bike when I get the new wheels. I have also lashed out on some shimano 105 pedals and I ended up buying the gp4000s to sit on the TWE's
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

southeastD

Postby southeastD » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:57 am

Hi All,

I am new to cycling and doing the Bay for the first time. I registered for the 100km Melbourne-Frankston-Melbourne course.

What will the event be like on that day? Will Beach Rd be just like another Saturday day where bikes and cars come as they please, or will we have a barricaded, dedicated bike lane for the day?

I am a big water drinker, I am thinking of hauling a 5L hydration pack.

For those who have done it before, did you do 100km non stop? I am planning to have a checkpoint and a few minutes rest at every one of them, maybe every 30km or so.

What should I look for? any additional info that can help me best prepare for a great day of fun would be appreciated.

Thanks,

malocchio

Postby malocchio » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:37 am

Hey SoutheastD, welcome outside!

First of all, remember that it's not a race - take the day at your own pace and enjoy being surrounded by hundreds of (mostly) friendly people.

Beach road won't be closed to vehicles, but the proliferation of cyclists will mean it'll be a pretty safe environment. just watch for erratic riders infront of you, and stay aware of your surroundings. Have you spent much time riding in packs before?

Re. the rest stops - stop as often as you feel you need to. There'll be plenty of opportunity to stop and fill up your bidons if you don't want to pack a 5L hydration pack. Often people will also stop at local cafes / service stations to refuel also.

I'd suggest you get a few long practice rides in over the next few weeks, just to get conditioned to spending so much time in the saddle. The old adage is "if you can do it in a week, you can do it in a day" so there's no need to complete a 100km ride before the day, just make sure you get some good km's done over a week.

Get out there and enjoy it!

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:42 am

southeastD wrote: Will Beach Rd be just like another Saturday day where bikes and cars come as they please, or will we have a barricaded, dedicated bike lane for the day?

The former, SED. I did this distance last year.

But there are so many doing it the eye-rolling drivers are 'better prepared'.
southeastD wrote:

For those who have done it before, did you do 100km non stop? I am planning to have a checkpoint and a few minutes rest at every one of them, maybe every 30km or so.

There are plenty of shops, water taps and cafes along the way, so you don't need to bring much with you. And there's lunch at Mordy anyway.

Have a great time ... a light windproof jacket could be a big relief on the day!

Patches

Postby Patches » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Planning on doing the 100km melbourne-frankston-melbourne with a few mates from school - what is the traffic normally like/are there closed roads in any sections?(I haven't done ATB before) They're all pretty fit so the distance won't be an issue, but some of them aren't that confident in traffic. Will it be relatively quiet sunday kind of stuff or is it along major roads?

Cheers

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:09 am

Patches wrote: or is it along major roads?
Two words, Patches - Nepean Highway.

But there will be cyclists everywhere.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:33 am

clackers wrote:

Thats going to be unreal. I'm hoping that drivers will be more considerate considering the sheer amount of us riding on the day.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

David_G

Postby David_G » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:43 am

adrian_d wrote:
clackers wrote:

Thats going to be unreal. I'm hoping that drivers will be more considerate considering the sheer amount of us riding on the day.
That is my regular ride. When there's lots of cyclists it's OK.
It's a bit like being in a school of sardines, but there's no sharks or dolphins circling.
Try not to think about the cars and you'll get into a bit of a zone and just enjoy the ride.
I just love riding my bike!

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:51 am

Finally, some decent weather in Melbourne so I can get some serious training happening! :D

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:31 am

drcolossus1 wrote:Finally, some decent weather in Melbourne so I can get some serious training happening! :D
Absolutely. That's what I've been waiting for as well.

I rode into work today and plan to do so tomorrow as well (as long as the BOM don't change the forecast), which will give me a total of 260km's for the last 4 days (Sat - Tues).
I am looking forward to slightly warmer mornings though!

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:41 am

DoogleDave wrote:
drcolossus1 wrote:Finally, some decent weather in Melbourne so I can get some serious training happening! :D
Absolutely. That's what I've been waiting for as well.

I rode into work today and plan to do so tomorrow as well (as long as the BOM don't change the forecast), which will give me a total of 260km's for the last 4 days (Sat - Tues).
I am looking forward to slightly warmer mornings though!

Dave
Wow well done on those last 4 days. Thats very impressive.

The nicer weather definitely changes your outlook on the day and is a great motivator. I can't wait to start riding to work. I only got 2 runs done over the weekend. Rode from Rowville to Edithvale which ended up being a 56km round trip. I rode to my parents place which was 20km each way, a great way to show my appreciation of my dad for Fathers day was to ride there (and back).

I'm hoping to crank out 200km this week if time permits :(
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:21 pm

adrian_d wrote: Wow well done on those last 4 days. Thats very impressive.
Thanks Adrian, but I'm not completely there yet.

190km's down after today with 70km's to go tomorrow (to get the 260km's in 4 days).

I think I might need to up my monthly goal for this month (from 500km/month), as I'll have done just over 50% in 4 days :lol:

I have noticed my ave heart rate dropping recently, so all this riding must be boosting my fitness.

And the saying is true - it doesn't get easier, you just get faster!

Looking forward to a good night's sleep and another early wake up (5am) to ride into work again tomorrow morning....

Dave

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:27 pm

DoogleDave wrote:
I have noticed my ave heart rate dropping recently, so all this riding must be boosting my fitness.
Take care, it may also be a pointer to overtraining.
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:41 pm

chucknitro wrote:
Take care, it may also be a pointer to overtraining.
A higher heart rate indicates incomplete recovery, no?

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:23 am

clackers wrote:
A higher heart rate indicates incomplete recovery, no?
I believe so.

"There are days that I just can't get my HR to the zone I want it to be in," says Ironman and World Champion Karen Smyers. "This is a sign of not being recovered, and I reschedule the hard workout planned for that day. If you recognize it early, you can usually recover in a day or two. If you have pushed through it for a long time, you may need a much longer time to pull yourself out of the slump." http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... ining.html
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:33 am

Thanks guys - after all that I woke up just before my alarm at 5am this morning and was SO tired I decided to give myself a break (so had a sleep in and drove into work).

I'm still happy with 190km's for Sat/Sun/Mon. A decent effort for me.
No point wearing myself out.

I might try leaving a little later and having less "breakfast time" when I get to work and see how that goes...

Dave

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Just for the record, I'm now paid up for the 210km Sorrento-Queenscliff ride. I'm hoping the wind conditions on the day will match those of last Sunday, where I had a nice tailwind all the way from Sandringham to Carrum (averaged over 35k/h!), and would have loved to go further, but needed to make it back to Hawthorn - 75k all up, but I will say the ride from Carrum back to Chadstone (Springvale/Westall/Dandenong Rds) didn't have much to recommend it (headwind didn't help, but it just wasn't an pleasant route). Anyhow, this Sunday I need to push it up to 80, so any recommendations are welcome, and if anyone's interested in joining me, even better. I'm currently thinking of heading out north of the Airport (Mickleham) in a loop:
http://goo.gl/maps/Ny1ZI.

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:25 pm

wizdofaus wrote:JI'm hoping the wind conditions on the day will match those of last Sunday,
For anyone who was by the Bay on Sunday, what was with the detour from the south *over* Mt Martha instead of around it? Nasty little discovery late in the day on the way back to Franger!

Great spring day otherwise, plenty of sunshine.

blatant

Postby blatant » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:06 am

looks like I might have to cancel this one. Had respiratory and sinus infections non stop for the last 3 months.

rhallen

Postby rhallen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:45 pm

TICKET SALES

I have 2 entries for Around the Bay in a Day which we can no longer use.

It is the 210km M-Q-S-M with ferry which has since SOLD OUT.
The ride is on Sunday 21 October 2012.

Let me know if you would like to buy 1 or both entires.

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I am seriously planning to attend this event. In the last four Saturdays, I have been practising 60-70 km ride.

I wish I could join this one "Melbourne - Sorrento - (ferry) - Queenscliff - Melbourne".

Anyone on the same track last year? I have several questions to ask (being a newbie):

1. Are there many hills in the track?
2. Can we stop-n-rest along the way, or pretty much 210km in one go?
3. Will there be many water station (refill) along the route?
4. I am a newbie and normally can only ride 25-30 km/h along Beach Rd, do you think I am capable to finish the track?
5. Where to start in Melbourne? I live in Ringwood, so if I have to start 6.00am somewhere in Melbourne, I will need to plan my day ahead (I assume there's no train that early on Sunday).
6. Anyone join for this exact track Melbourne - Sorrento - (ferry) - Queenscliff - Melbourne?

Thanks
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:11 pm

kimmie wrote:
I wish I could join this one "Melbourne - Sorrento - (ferry) - Queenscliff - Melbourne".
Hi kimmie,
there are still places available at Bicycle Vic website.
kimmie wrote: 1. Are there many hills in the track?
In that direction, just the one big hill near Frankston. there should be a profile somewhere on Strava or one of the other sites like MapMyRide. you could always go down and check it out beforehand.
kimmie wrote: 2. Can we stop-n-rest along the way, or pretty much 210km in one go?
3. Will there be many water station (refill) along the route?
Official Rest and water stops every 25km; always easy to add some of your own.
kimmie wrote: 4. I am a newbie and normally can only ride 25-30 km/h along Beach Rd, do you think I am capable to finish the track?
5. Where to start in Melbourne? I live in Ringwood, so if I have to start 6.00am somewhere in Melbourne, I will need to plan my day ahead (I assume there's no train that early on Sunday).
The start is also mapped out on website above, it is in Alexandra Ave near the city.

Speed is not really the big issue, more endurance but it sounds like you are on the right track. Do you think you can manage a couple of 100km rides prior to mid October? If so, you should be fine. managing fluid and energy intake will be very important. Finding someone to train with or even ride with on the day would help, the last not critical as informal bunches form up and people work together to share the pace making.

Good luck with the training, it is great fun.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:43 am

Cheers Peter... crystal clear explanations.

I am waiting for some mates to join me for the ride.. if they do, then I will take the 100KM (Melb - Frankston - Melb). Otherwise if I am on my own, I will ride the 210KM (Melb - Sorento - ferry - Queenscliff - Melbourne) - just like you, apparently... or yours is the anti-clockwise one? It's a pity that the M-Q-f-S-M one has been sold-out. I agree that riding on West Gate at the end of a long ride might not be fun. :-)

Having said that, I read quite a lot of gripes re: the ferry ride, and a mate from work suggested me to simply take the Melbourne - Sorento - Melbourne one, if I reall want to do the 210KM. Would you mind commenting on that, Peter? Most appreciated.

Now, regardless of which one I will sign myself to, what sort of things I need to bring? Normally I would prefer a light ride - i.e. bring nothing but stuff that can fit into my jersey's pocket: some energy bars, mobile phone, wallet, house key, a spare tube, an all-in-one tool - or, should I bring more on a back pack (i.e. more tubes, more food, etc)? For my weekly train, I normally survive with just a big brekky and two energy bars. I believe they provide lunch on the day,aren't they?

Anyway.. more question will follow, I am sure... but thanks for answering this one for now... :-)

Cheers

Ben
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:07 pm

Looking to do the 100km (Melb > Frank > Melb) ride for my first big group thing. Going to work my way up to 100kms in a day, did 50km both Sunday and Monday gone, will try and ramp it up a little this Saturday.

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:16 pm

kimmie wrote:Having said that, I read quite a lot of gripes re: the ferry ride, and a mate from work suggested me to simply take the Melbourne - Sorento - Melbourne one, if I reall want to do the 210KM. Would you mind commenting on that, Peter? Most appreciated.
I've been told similar from several people and as this is my first year doing the ATB I had my M-S-F-Q-M ticket refunded and opted for the M-S-M option instead (still 210km's).

Several others in my local club are also doing the MSM ride so thought I'd stay on land for my first attempt and then next year I'll be sure to get in early and get a MQFSM ticket before they sell out.

Keep up the long training rides and try out your food/drink intake so you get an idea on what your body needs and how often (as we are all different).

Dave