Electric Assisted Cargo Bike

Joeblake

Electric Assisted Cargo Bike

Postby Joeblake » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:24 am

To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

silentbutdeadly

Re: Electric Assisted Cargo Bike

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:00 am

There's also/already the Yuba (similar to Surly LHT) with a spark option in Melbourne...and the Dutch Cargo Bike mob can get you electric assist in their range too
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:16 pm

I was the original owner of Cargo Cycles (http://www.cargocycles.com.au), from 2008 [1]. I always had an electric assist option available, which was developed by EVS in Melbourne.

Of the 63 bikes I sold before selling the business, I only managed one electric kit. It went to Brisbane, FWIW. The electric conversion was very expensive compared to the price of the bike... especially if you went for the Li-Po batteries... but I didn't have the energy to source my own direct from China.

tim

[1] I started out because there were no cargo bikes for sale in Australia at the time, and I couldn't afford to import one from Europe. When I found some sources in Asia, they quoted per containerload... so I bit the bullet and had a hobby business. I like to think I tested the water and established a market, for all the others who followed.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:30 pm

I saw these in Japan last week. The front rack can be used as a basket, but often carried a new person. I saw one lady on one of these with a toddler in the back, a small person in the front, and a very new person strapped to her chest.

I doubt they are expensive in Japan.

People mover, Japan by WestcoastPete, on Flickr

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:12 pm

At a weight of 43 kg you would want electric assist. Most cargo bikes are in the 30 kg range, with a few notable exceptions - the Larry v Harry Bullit at 24 kg and the three wheel box bikes in range of 55-59 kg.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

solbike

Postby solbike » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:19 am

This was an electric cargo bike I put together recently for The Big Issue team in Perth. I got the money from the City of Perth through an environmental grant application and got the bike from Gary at Cargo Cycles in Melbourne, it's a Yuba Mundo. The electrics are our typical mini-motor kit with a 36V 11.5 Ah Panasonic cylindrical battery (Solar Bike kit). I personally don't have the need for such a large bicycle but if you needed to deliver magazines around the city daily then this is perfect. It rides surprisingly nicely for such a long beast.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:28 am

Saw this at a recent alternative transport display in Mundaring.

Locally made from a female frame MTB.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Try this article: http://www.bicycles.net.au/2011/04/revi ... argo-bike/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;