Purchase mistakes

LG

Purchase mistakes

Postby LG » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:30 am

I hope this topic doesn't break any forum rules etc and can delete if it does. I've purchased 2 items over the last year or so I wouldn't recommend others to buy.

1 - this Fizik bar tape http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 1116796210 . I have no idea whether this is the real deal or the fizik stuff is crap as I haven't used it in the past. It's impossible to install without it splitting and looks like it might last a matter of weeks. Not overly impressed.

2 - Serfas cartridge brake pads https://www.serfas.com/products/view/28 ... brake-pads . I bought a front & rear set about a year ago, and used a pair on the rear of my commuter bike. I use the back brakes about 1/10 as much of the front and the rear pads have worn out well before the front (old shimano on the front) and the rear rim is not far off being trashed. These pads must have sandpaper built into them, as they always sound horrible no matter how often I clean them. Will definitely go something else as next purchase.
LG = Low Gear

rkelsen

Re: Purchase mistakes

Postby rkelsen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:38 am

This thread could run for decades.

I'll start compiling my list and post back when I'm done... :(

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:18 pm

I bought some Pearl Izumi knee warmers size small and they barely stay on without falling down. I bought them from LBS so they aren't some eBay cheapo copies. I wrecked my Netti ones (size medium) in a crash, they used to fit well.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:43 pm

after 3 pairs of the fluid branded anaconda cycling sunnies, I went and bought a real pair.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:33 pm

Tranz-X 117 magnetic trainer from Torpedo7. Even in tallest gear on the mtb, unable to get enough resistance to pedal out of the saddle.

Going on Fleabay as soon as the Kurt Kinetic I bought last week from Jacks1071 arrives ... hopefully tomorrow 8)

And, surprisingly, the Ground Effect Lucifers windproof socks I ordered a few weeks ago. The cut was so bad that they were bags, not socks ... so much material bunched up at the front of the ankle they were unusable as socks unless you were prepared to spend your entire walking life as a ballet dancer standing "pointe" on your toes.

Fortunately they were happy to take them back and provide a refund.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:59 pm

rkelsen wrote:This thread could run for decades.

I'll start compiling my list and post back when I'm done... :(
ROFL. Three off the top of my head
1) Topeak Aero saddle bag. Didn't check the width of it on my saddle. Causes thigh rub which put a small hole in my knicks, which was luckily small enough to be repaired.
2) Zefal mirror which couldn't be seen from drops on my road bike. Replaced it with the Italian Road Bike Mirror.
3) 2nd-hand Chain rings from Bicycle Recycle to replace old bent ones. They were worse.

Thankfully these mistakes were all for small-ticket items.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:28 pm

trailgumby wrote:Tranz-X 117 magnetic trainer from Torpedo7. Even in tallest gear on the mtb, unable to get enough resistance to pedal out of the saddle.

Going on Fleabay as soon as the Kurt Kinetic I bought last week from Jacks1071 arrives ... hopefully tomorrow 8)
A good trainer really makes a difference. I had a tranz-X as well and used it maybe twice before the thing broke. I got an as new Tracx Satori on the bay for $100 and use it several times a week.

I'm going to put something controversial here: Conti GP 4000s. Great tyres for speed and feel, but gave me more punctures than every other set of tyres I have ever used combined. Yes, it was the tyres that sucked. People raved about them so I thought it was something else causing the problems, but no, they sucked.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:06 pm

i bought some white fizik microtex bartape and i didn't find it difficult to install, and it seems to be lasting at least as well as the old ambrosio leather-look bar ribbon i had previously.

LG

Postby LG » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:40 pm

munga wrote:i bought some white fizik microtex bartape and i didn't find it difficult to install, and it seems to be lasting at least as well as the old ambrosio leather-look bar ribbon i had previously.
Fair enough. I'm not saying that this type of Fizik tape in itself is rubbish, just not 100% sure it's authentic fizik that I received. I don't know. It was advertised as fizik, came in a fizik box, and has fizik labelled finishing tape, but just slightly bend it the wrong way and it splits, change direction around the brake levers and it splits, push in a bar plug and the tape breaks. I expected much better.
LG = Low Gear

Johndec

Postby Johndec » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Worst purchase mistake: Buying a wedding ring for my first wife. Cost me a few grand to buy and about 100 times that to get it back! :shock:

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:23 pm

LG wrote:
munga wrote:i bought some white fizik microtex bartape and i didn't find it difficult to install, and it seems to be lasting at least as well as the old ambrosio leather-look bar ribbon i had previously.
Fair enough. I'm not saying that this type of Fizik tape in itself is rubbish, just not 100% sure it's authentic fizik that I received. I don't know. It was advertised as fizik, came in a fizik box, and has fizik labelled finishing tape, but just slightly bend it the wrong way and it splits, change direction around the brake levers and it splits, push in a bar plug and the tape breaks. I expected much better.
I have bought the fizik microtex a couple of times and find it really good. Even removed from good bike and re-wrapped on old bike.

To be fair to fizik I think you may have been duped.

Also find the microtex is the easiest white tape I have used to keep clean.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:59 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
I'm going to put something controversial here: Conti GP 4000s. Great tyres for speed and feel, but gave me more punctures than every other set of tyres I have ever used combined. Yes, it was the tyres that sucked. People raved about them so I thought it was something else causing the problems, but no, they sucked.
+1

My GP4s have superglue holding the whole sidewall together.

I've got a pair of Durano plus waiting at home but have been too lazy to replace them. Prob after my next puncture...
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

LG

Postby LG » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:05 am

bosvit wrote:
LG wrote:
I have bought the fizik microtex a couple of times and find it really good. Even removed from good bike and re-wrapped on old bike.

To be fair to fizik I think you may have been duped.

Also find the microtex is the easiest white tape I have used to keep clean.
Your are more than likely correct. I won't buy from that mob again, but will try some fizik tape from a more reputable provider and hopefully see the diference. I do like the leather look fizik tape.
LG = Low Gear

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Favourite brand but buying bike nicks with white chamois? What about those really difficult climbs?

CB

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:18 am

I could be here all day but the most memorable are:

Original Gripshift back in 94 or so, needed to be stripped down and rebuilt after every ride, when it was wet, the grip would turn and not the shifter.

95 bought a Pangaea full sus MTB, cost $4K, didn't ride too bad, won a couple of Pro Elite XC races on it, but I could have bought a GT Zasker LE instead. This bike was poorly engineered and after breaking the first frame just through normal riding I sold it off for $1200.

Bought some Fizik saddle with Ti rails back in 98 for $230, used it 3 times, found it caused extreme pain after 30 minutes, still have the saddle, looks like new.

Continental home trainer tyre $50 on LBS reccomendation, incredibly difficult to mount, broke two tyre levers trying, pinched numerous innertubes, even when installed perfectly it would spontaneously cause the inner tube to fail and I could never understand exactly why, I've used a cheap wire bead tire ever since without a single issue.
No signature

Mapomatic

Postby Mapomatic » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Aldi branded trainer - impossible to get the resistance right. Tears reams off the tyre, or provides way too much resistance. Ridiculously loud too. Worse part is I bought two, one each for the missus and I. At least they were cheap. At least the Aldi workstand has proven a little more function, although it did require a whole new bunch of washers shortly into its life.

Some Cheap knicks from a online Australian retailer. They were at best OK when I started riding and was doing cruisy hour rides. Did a 4 hour ride the other week wearing them after realising all my Ground Effect ones were dirty or in the wash. Came home with great bleeding welts on some tender skin. Knicks went straight to the bin.

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Water bottles. So many water bottles. Either they're too fat for the cages or require too much effort to squeeze water out of. Ugh.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:04 pm

Mapomatic wrote:Aldi branded trainer - impossible to get the resistance right. Tears reams off the tyre, or provides way too much resistance. Ridiculously loud too. Worse part is I bought two, one each for the missus and I. At least they were cheap. At least the Aldi workstand has proven a little more function, although it did require a whole new bunch of washers shortly into its life.

Some Cheap knicks from a online Australian retailer. They were at best OK when I started riding and was doing cruisy hour rides. Did a 4 hour ride the other week wearing them after realising all my Ground Effect ones were dirty or in the wash. Came home with great bleeding welts on some tender skin. Knicks went straight to the bin.

One thing good about the aldi trainer....

It makes a good stand for set ups. That was the only reason I bought it, got rid of the cable, and it works great.

The aldi stand is a bit crap to, can't seem to get it to stop moving.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Its been said a thousand times....
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR :lol:
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Cheap silicon band blinkies from ebay, colour delivered=random. I got four hoping to get reds/whites. I hope the kids keep enjoying playing Mr Policeman for a while coz two were blue. One red, one white, that's a start i guess.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Lemon-lime endurance, I'd rather drink my own wee....

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:18 pm

ozstriker wrote:Lemon-lime endurance, I'd rather drink my own wee....
Bear Grylls? Is that you?
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:02 pm

Mapomatic wrote: Some Cheap knicks from a online Australian retailer. They were at best OK when I started riding and was doing cruisy hour rides. Did a 4 hour ride the other week wearing them after realising all my Ground Effect ones were dirty or in the wash. Came home with great bleeding welts on some tender skin. Knicks went straight to the bin.
I think I realised this week that it is the Cell knicks I bought that are giving me the same grief. I wear them all the time and figured it was my saddle, but after trying some other shorts for the first time, I think its the Cell shorts.

Out with those ones!

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:55 pm

2XU bib nicks on special at BE, just too low around the waist and love handles to be comfy and the chamois is equally poor. They still get used for short rides and under shorts on the MTB.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:52 pm

online purchase - wrong size helmet...

however, it's the right size if I don't use a buff cloth or a cycling cap.

Lesson learned - measure your head circumference while wearing the add-ons!