Selle SMP Stratos, Dynamic

misterhorsey

Selle SMP Stratos, Dynamic

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:35 pm

My bike fit has pushed my saddle back quite a far way, beyond the range of the 40mm area that for the rails to be clamped.

So I thought I might look at getting a seat post with greater set back, or a seat with longer rails.

I came across the SMP Stratos

http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/en/stratos

Anyone have any experiences, good or bad? I was looking to getting a saddle with a cut out eventually so this may kill two birds with one stone.

There's also the 'Dynamic' that Steve Hogg champions on his very long review:

http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/en/dynamic -
http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... bout-smps/

I'm 167cm, 65kg, 30 inch waist, or thereabouts.
The manufacturers sizing guide suggests I should be okay with the Stratos (266mm x 131mm)

While Steve talks about the Dynamic, I may well be one of the 'small statured light weights' that Mr Hogg refers to as being suitable for the saddle, or its variant with less padding, the 'evolution.

I currently use a Serfas Road saddle (295mm x 135mm) which was chosen by a bike store guy because it was the cheapest one hanging off the wall. I've not previously been that fussy about saddles, although on a long ride over the weekend I did notice a bit of heat and slight numbness so it would be good to get something better:

https://www.serfas.com/products/view/21 ... s%7Cpage:2

I don't have any specific knowledge of Steve other than he seems well regarded - and he wrote the very long review of the SMP saddles.

I was happy to go with the manufacturers' recommendation - til I saw the post singing the praises of Dynamic.

JV911

Re: Selle SMP Stratos, Dynamic

Postby JV911 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:00 pm

yep i've got one (dynamic) that Steve put me on. It's infinately more comfortable than it looks!
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:23 pm

JV911 wrote:yep i've got one (dynamic) that Steve put me on. It's infinately more comfortable than it looks!
Hi JV911, what's your dimensions, if you don't mind me asking.

Its curious that Steve and Selle SMP have such a divergent opinion on the suitability of the Composit, Evolution and Stratos. According to SMP those saddles would suit Extra Small, Small to Medium. Whereas Mr Hogg suggests its only for really small guys - not your average.

Different average body shape between Italians and Australians perhaps?

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Port Melbourne Cycles have a test fleet of the weird looking things. Will go down and have a try.

ratter

Postby ratter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:38 pm

I have a dynamic and so far happy with it, infact will be looking for another so will be interested in seeing what price you can get one for.

I paid $270 earlier in the year

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:06 pm

I ride the stratos and my husband the evolution (or the other way around :oops: - I ride the one with slightly more padding). Totally love it and the quality is perfect.

The "size" of the saddle is really more about sit bones and widths. As an idea, my husband is m-l jersey size, 34/87 cm waist. He's about 82kg and 170cm. I'm a chick (I'm guessing you got that already) weigh 81kg, 169cm and a l-xl men's jersey depending on cut. I'm certainly not thin. The saddle is fine for me and I am considering the same on all my bikes.

I Highly recommend trying a couple of models. A slight tweak will make this saddle comfy or a torture device so don't be afraid to ask the lbs to fiddle with angles etc. I've also found that I sit back a bit further on it but don't move around as I used to on a "normal" saddle. There will be some getting used to for sure.

Hope this helps - it may not be for you :)

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:52 am

misterhorsey wrote:Hi JV911, what's your dimensions, if you don't mind me asking.
ideally 36-24-36 :mrgreen:

175cm, 84cm waist and 74kg...need to lose the 2kg i gained in France :oops:

one of my mates has the Evolution and he is bigger than me. I tried it briefly but wasn't a huge fan but that could have as much to do with bike set up than the seat itself. My mate has shorter legs than me despite being taller
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:15 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I ride the stratos and my husband the evolution (or the other way around :oops: - I ride the one with slightly more padding). Totally love it and the quality is perfect.

The "size" of the saddle is really more about sit bones and widths. As an idea, my husband is m-l jersey size, 34/87 cm waist. He's about 82kg and 170cm. I'm a chick (I'm guessing you got that already) weigh 81kg, 169cm and a l-xl men's jersey depending on cut. I'm certainly not thin. The saddle is fine for me and I am considering the same on all my bikes.

I Highly recommend trying a couple of models. A slight tweak will make this saddle comfy or a torture device so don't be afraid to ask the lbs to fiddle with angles etc. I've also found that I sit back a bit further on it but don't move around as I used to on a "normal" saddle. There will be some getting used to for sure.

Hope this helps - it may not be for you :)
Thanks Moosterbounce - I think this is telling me that I need to go to the LBS and stick my butt on one of the seats! Given your measurements it sounds like I should be a contender for the Stratos as I'm a little narrower in the waist than your husband. But I spoke briefly to Port Melb Cycles and the difference in Stratos and Dynamic is as much in shape as in the width measurement.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 pm

JV911 wrote:
misterhorsey wrote:Hi JV911, what's your dimensions, if you don't mind me asking.
ideally 36-24-36 :mrgreen:

175cm, 84cm waist and 74kg...need to lose the 2kg i gained in France :oops:

one of my mates has the Evolution and he is bigger than me. I tried it briefly but wasn't a huge fan but that could have as much to do with bike set up than the seat itself. My mate has shorter legs than me despite being taller
Thanks JV, bah - 2kgs is a smoothie and a (rather large) sandwich! Thanks for the measurements.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:12 pm

more like 3 weeks of fromage, charcuterie, cassoulet and confit!
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:14 pm

JV911 wrote:more like 3 weeks of fromage, charcuterie, cassoulet and confit!
Well, lycra expands to your shape for a reason!

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:14 pm

These saddles. AMAZING!

So i went down to Port Melbourne cycles to try the saddles they had available. They had loaners available as well, although the models I was interested in were currently on loan. I tried the Stratos (narrow, but with padding) the Lite 105 (Forma shape, with padding) and the Dynamic (Forma Shape, minimal padding).

As soon as I 'sat' down on the stratos it was an absolute revelation. I knew immediately I was going to cycle home with a new saddle, just wasn't sure which one. I ended up choosing the dynamic. The stratos was so narrow that I felt I was sliding around just a little. The dynamic seemed hold me in position a little better, and the minimal padding would be better in the long run I thought.

I've commuted with the saddle with jeans and it has been great. Yesterday I did 90km with the saddle in knicks and it was amazing. No soreness at all. No numbness or burning whatsoever. It seems that the seat is positioned in such a way so that your entire body rests on the saddle via your sit bones. The rest of the seat is hollow and scalloped out where your mooshy man (or woman) bits would typically be compressed and cause discomfort. Its almost like being a camera on top of a camera tripd. You sit on this pedestal that locks in with your bony undercarriage, but leaves the soft bits alone. So all in all, totally worth the (sizeable) investment.

The only qualifications i would make for those who might be interested in trying these seats is that I'm relatively light - and I've recently had an excellent bike fit. So the saddle does, like all saddles I guess, rely on much of your weight being on the pedals and your arms. I imagine that if you aren't optimally fitted, the curious nature of this seat could potentially exacerbate a bad situation.

I was also tempted to buy online initially but glad I went to a store and paid full retail just for the benefit of having a few to try. If I'd gone online, I would've chosen the wrong one.

This saddle has been a game changer for me. Similar to what it felt like riding a modern road bike for the first time after enduring a badly maintained shogun mountain bike for years. I'd highly recommend anyone who has saddle issues to check one out one time.