intervals on road or trainer

filip

intervals on road or trainer

Postby filip » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:04 pm

With the weather warming up a bit the last couple of weeks i’ve been increasing my training steadily. I ride 3 days a week (fri, sat, sun) on the road 60-80kms/day and a couple of days on my trainer in the garage (30’-45’). The plan is to start doing intervals as from 1 september. Once the weather gets better i was planning –as usual- to do all my riding on the road, including intervals sessions
Are there any views on the benefits of splitting the training :
Interval sessions : trainer (controlled environment so easier to keep the numbers at the required time)
All the rest : road
Or
Do all training on the road as it is more real race like (wind, inclines, rough roads etc), and don't worry so much about the consistency of the numbers ?

ajmit3

Re: intervals on road or trainer

Postby ajmit3 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:04 am

90% of the time I do intervals on the trainer. If you are going that hard its good just looking down and focusing on putting the right amount in. And, yes it should hurt ;)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:22 am

Do them wherever you are most likely to get them done and is safe and suitable for the intended effort.

That can change depending on various things.

filip

Postby filip » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:18 pm

thanks guys, well appreciated. Watch out B grade.

filip

Postby filip » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:22 pm

The Bill Black's Hour of Power is a good quality session for the trainer. On the trainer you can do very effective training although it's mentally challenging to do it for an extended period of time. Hence i'm planning to do 1 or 2 sessions during the week, all the rest on the road.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:43 pm

filip wrote:The Bill Black's Hour of Power is a good quality session for the trainer. On the trainer you can do very effective training although it's mentally challenging to do it for an extended period of time. Hence i'm planning to do 1 or 2 sessions during the week, all the rest on the road.
Done properly, I wouldn't suggest doing the HOP workout with such regularity. Once a fortnight maybe.

For those wondering what this is:
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2009/ ... to-it.html

vander

Postby vander » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:07 pm

One quick question, what power do you do for the surge? Something like the 210% of FTP like Tabata?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:26 pm

vander wrote:One quick question, what power do you do for the surge? Something like the 210% of FTP like Tabata?
There's no right or wrong level, it's a matter of intensity and duration and frequency - you can play with those - the trick with this workout is not to have any recovery after the surge but rather go straight back to ~ 90% FTP. IOW practising recovery while at race pace.

filip

Postby filip » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:09 pm

I do surges of FTP +30% (unfortunately dropping off to +20% during the work out) with recovery time of 1.30 and going towards 2' to 3' by the end of the work out.
recovery for me is at FTP (or close to it)
'

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:42 pm

filip wrote:I do surges of FTP +30% (unfortunately dropping off to +20% during the work out) with recovery time of 1.30 and going towards 2' to 3' by the end of the work out.
recovery for me is at FTP (or close to it)
That would suggest your FTP is higher than you think it is.