Hyperthetical Speed Goal

moosterbounce

Hyperthetical Speed Goal

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Reading TLL's post regarding his first ITT (well done by the way), something he posted got me wondering about average speeds. TLL said his goal was to stick above 40kmh for the course. This seems to be a magic number - some of the folk I know who did the cycle leg (and all) of the Busso 70.3 aimed for this also over the course.

So what is it about 40kmh?

Further to this, the folk I know who aim for this are all men. If this average is "do-able" on a set course by a guy, what's the comparison goal for women?

I'd love to aim for 40kmh, but if this is national tt champ speed for a girl, maybe my goal should be lowered to something more achievable!!

Hope this all makes sense as I'd live to hear people's comments :)

toolonglegs

Re: Hyperthetical Speed Goal

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Have you got a power meter Moo?.
For me 40 was just a good number to aim for on that course looking at past results. The previous two years 40 av would have put me in the top 6 in my Department which I needed to qualify... turned out it is lucky I went a bit faster as 53 out of 135 had 40kmph avs.
For this Sundays course I think a 38-39 av will be good for me as it has 250m climbing in the 21kms. WHere as the nationals at end of September I am hoping for a 45 av as there is only 51m climbing in 24kms.

What's the best you have done before?. I tested on the course a week before and held a 38av for one lap with tired legs... so adding in fresher legs,skin suit, deeper wheels, shoe covers, aero helmet and a race instead of training I thought 40 was do-able... but over two laps.

I have seen Jeannie Longo at a few races around here, doping aside she is super tiny and aero so doesn't need to make super amounts of power to go as fast as she does.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:22 pm

Sounds like your 40 was based on an educated guess hey TLL? It just seems to be a magic number that comes up a lot so I wondered about the mythology behind it. Obviously it's more of a random number for many people and probably more like a nice even number. No myths after all.

No power meter here mate. I'm. It interested in racing, but might give some tt's a go later - new bike so might get keen on this if I can fit it in to my schedule. I'm trying to focus more on tri training but am having a bit of a bad run - ITB, flu, now recovering from chronic bronchitis!!

I'm certainly not built like jeannie. If I'm kind, I'd suggest I resemble more of a brick out house and have tended to achieve everything via brute strength in the past but am trying to flip that around a bit.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:03 pm

40 is certainly a nice round number :D . 45 is a much nicer sounding number though.
In the UK it is all imperial... ie: everyone dreams of a sub 20min 10 miler for example.
Find out what you've got and then set about improving it.
The thing with TT's here is that they aren't very often, really only August / September ( unless they are in a multi stage race ) ... so it is pretty much the guys and girls who specialize in them who turn up. So expensive for just two or three rides a year!.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 am

toolonglegs wrote:In the UK it is all imperial... ie: everyone dreams of a sub 20min 10 miler for example.
or a sub 1-hour 25-mile TT, which is a tick over 40km/h.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:In the UK it is all imperial... ie: everyone dreams of a sub 20min 10 miler for example.
or a sub 1-hour 25-mile TT, which is a tick over 40km/h.
Except they talk in mph over there... 25 miles (AT) 40kmph :D .
Real TT culture in the UK it seems, would be fun to get over there at some stage... we really don't have that here in France.I would love something like ATTA here.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:31 pm

One day I'll get up early enough to check out an atta event. Unfortunately (or fortunately), when I exercise that early, I'm paddling. I'm really not a morning person, but the river is so flat and boat free early.

Seems like the 40kmh comes from 25mph so we can blame the Brits for that I suppose. Still sounds like no real science to it.

On the up side, my doc has said I can start exercising but by halves for the moment. Half distance and half pace. Should make for as boring trainer ride that won't last very long :? No speed goals this week!

Grim

Postby Grim » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Traditionally the ITT also known for the race of truth has been run over a 40km distance, its also been a traditional goal to complete the distance under 1 hour, hence average speed of 40km/h. A tough but completely achievable goal for a dedicated and committed athlete in this modern age be it of either gender.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:14 pm

Grim wrote:Traditionally the ITT also known for the race of truth has been run over a 40km distance, its also been a traditional goal to complete the distance under 1 hour, hence average speed of 40km/h. A tough but completely achievable goal for a dedicated and committed athlete in this modern age be it of either gender.
Have you got links to that?... given all Anglo countries would be using MPH when ITT's began and I think ITT's originated in the UK. Also surprised the hard men of the past did such short events when road races were all double or triple the length of today. Just be surprised thats all... but you may be right, not really up on my TT history.