Getting back to it

Xplora

Getting back to it

Postby Xplora » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Should be returning to cycle commuting this week after 5-6 weeks off since my big prang. Got my MTB BSO setup since the Kona hasn't been replaced with another, just an upgraded Madone race steed. The Fluid doesn't look too bad with the badass Selle Italia saddle I pulled off the Kona LOL

Bit cagey about the tyres - bike comes with 700x38s and we run 25-35s on the two bikes my wife and I have (makes it easier to cover the tubes with Conti Cross) but what can you do? Feeling more confident to get back to it, but I'm amazed at just how disinterested I have been to get back into it. The FEAR is palpable. It's not an active thing... just an acceptance of any obstacle preventing me from doing it. Are the tyres going to handle it? Do I have tubes? What about my lights? Will the rack fit? Handlebars aren't comfortable yet... the list goes on.

Be sensible out there chums - accidents hurt, and they leave scars that can't be seen or felt by a doctor :(

Mugglechops

Re: Getting back to it

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:25 pm

All the best with getting back into the commuting.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:47 pm

Feel for yer X, big time.
Them scars are the hardest ones to heal and being invisible, there's no cool factor either. :(

Why not try a couple of quiet weekend runs over your route at whatever pace feels good just to get your head around where the bike needs to go.

Good luck mate, stay strong.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:56 am

X...I havent had an accident like yours, so cant say I can stand in your shoes and know how you feel...however...

a couple weeks ago a rider was killed on my route home, I rode same stretch only 30 odd minutes before him...it has made me really think about how long I have on this planet given the road I ride is a major highway most of the way. I send my partner a "made it" txt every time I make it to work riding..just so she doesnt have to worry

I have the tiniest inkling of how you might be feeling since this death, it certainly made me think twice about riding...but my approach is simply do I give up living or do I just continue on and hope that my time isnt up just yet. I am pretty pragmatic in knowing that one day I am going to get hit...just got to hope I come out of such a hit relatively ok.

I am glad you are even just thinking about getting back onto the bike....take it easy and build the confidence up.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:15 am

X - PM me if you want some help, I was hit by a car doing 80kph in May this year, back on the bike now and have ridden over 2000kms this month already.

Takes time but once you are on, and you literally find your "feet" so to speak, you'll be laughing.. but trust me, its hard at first, but like anything, you'll always learn something new and you come out so much more confident, bigger than before. Life is about learning from your experience, adapting. Guess thats why they say when you grow old you grow wiser. All the best. Matt
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Nice work Matt/ I'm definitely not going to be "bigger than ever", I think I was already too big for my boots which is why I had the accident :lol:

It was somewhat amusing getting back on because I was on the new Trek, and it was a very different bike to ride and felt totally different despite the gears being very similar... so worried about all the bumps and dips - had never ridden a carbon horse before either, adding to the anxiety :shock:

greta, I think you're very wise for feeling the fear. You have to, otherwise you get complacent, and that is dangerous.

MB, I don't think delaying is going to be the magic fix. I need to get back on the horse because the train fares are HUGE. :mrgreen: Thinking about stealing my wife's schwalbes so I have tubes for the tyres 8)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:33 am

Slow as hell, my knees are killing me, but I made it. Took 2 hours to get the bike finished up last night with the usual suspects (AZ, lights, rack), but I got there.

I'm going to beg for a seat collar, the QR is USELESS. My knees won't survive 200kms a week with this bike if it keeps moving. Really hate the flat bars too LOL. Wondering if bullhorns and tri too hard bars are out of the question. :mrgreen:

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:09 am

Xplora wrote:Slow as hell, my knees are killing me, but I made it. Took 2 hours to get the bike finished up last night with the usual suspects (AZ, lights, rack), but I got there.

I'm going to beg for a seat collar, the QR is USELESS. My knees won't survive 200kms a week with this bike if it keeps moving. Really hate the flat bars too LOL. Wondering if bullhorns and tri too hard bars are out of the question. :mrgreen:
The key is that you got back on...not that you enjoyed it this time. Wait till next week/month. As for the flat bars...I hear you.

If they aren't swept then try something with more sweep. 3T and Syncros both do what are described as extreme sweep flat bars. I noticed Velogear has a cheap sweep flat that might worth a look. Personally enjoy the Ragley Carnegie bars but they'd possibly be too wide for your application. I'm about to switch the flat bar out on the cross commuter for a Salsa Cowbell swept drop bar which is more suited to cross applications. The original choice was the even more extreme Salsa Woodchipper but that's more monster cross territory...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:13 am

The knees appears to be a fit problem. Going to have to junk the bike, I knew it was a big frame, but it seems to be TOO big. Seat is already forward at the max. Will have to ride my wife's bike (she's the same height) instead. Not impressed but I guess it reduces overall running costs? :roll:

I can't commute on the Madone every day. it's too pretty :oops:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:08 pm

I am giving the MTB another go tomorrow. Moved the seat a cm back after doing some quick tape measuring of my Trek, had the seat WAY too far forward. Quick spin proved to be fairly comfortable. Will have another crack tomorrow, see how I go. Somewhat embarrassing to realise that the Kona was clearly a full size too big for me. Don't let the internet do your fits for you :roll:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:33 pm

Well after attempting to ride the Fluid MTB and nearly destroying my knee a second time, I've picked up a 2012 Trek 2.1 as a dedicated commuter with rack, fenders and all the gear. LOL even got tribars on there, just to see how it goes. This one should fit a lot better since it's the same geometry as my weekend warrior :PPPPPP

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Good to hear your back commuting Xplora, time for me to do the same.
It took 6 months to get diagnosed with a frayed suprasinitus tendon. What docs don't detect in first and second scans :roll: Cortisone hid the problem for 5 months really.
Now 13 months after the accident and I feel ready to hop back on my roadie. Shoulder is feeling much better in day to day operation and is literally pain free now. I'm now NOT a fan of flat bar bikes after losing traction and hand staying on as the wheel flipped around. It's going to be hard for me to break that one.
Already started cleaning up my Masi in preparation for a commute. Sure I can commute on my trike but it's a real pain getting it into work due to width being larger than the doors :roll:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:46 am

Had a couple days on, having a day off. Sitting in the chair badly messes up the knee badly!

Bruising is actually on TOP of the kneecap, not just below. Can't get my head around that one. Wondering if new shoes/orthotics/serious fit might help the problem... or just hirodoid? It's been two months :roll:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:30 pm

Worked out a chunk of the problem. So deconditioned in the core and quads that I wasn't actually maintaining good pedalling technique to help protect my knee. I screamed into work yesterday in 50 minutes (about as fast as I usually go) and didn't get a great run of lights either. The ride home is taking me 1hr 15min somehow, seems that endurance is not on my list of haves. Still... decided that my ticket to recovery is now do a ton of sprinting to build up the secondary muscles :D Fun Times.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Another update. Pulled 300kms last week, which is good for volume but the quality of the riding isn't up to scratch. Need to spin a LOT quicker - got the computer back on the bike and I'm often spinning at 75rpm. Not fast enough to survive. Not hard to test some sprints on the right path, but I can't grind 300kms a week. Clearly not fit enough to do this. Also need a fit - for some reason my current fit sucks hard. Sadly.

Need to update shoes as well. LOL

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Xplora wrote: Also need a fit - for some reason my current fit sucks hard. Sadly.
Mal from Kangazilla (which I think is local to you) just did a Specialized bike fit training course. I've had a friend get a bike fit since that there and he was impressed with it.

T.

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:51 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
Xplora wrote: Also need a fit - for some reason my current fit sucks hard. Sadly.
Mal from Kangazilla (which I think is local to you) just did a Specialized bike fit training course. I've had a friend get a bike fit since that there and he was impressed with it.

T.
I have also heard good reports about Mal's bike fits from an older friend of mine who rides a lot :mrgreen:

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Maybe some quality time on the trainer is in order? Reduce as many external influences as possible to isolate the issue and then adjust from there.

For a fit, perhaps a visit to Steve Hogg is worth a go?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:09 pm

It's a few things. Tim can testify that I'm definitely not set up for "road riding" LOL. MT42s aren't much chop for a roadie! I can feel the cleat isn't in the right spot on my right foot when the shoe is tight. But looser, it is OK. The fit that Rouse Hill Trek did for my weekender is fine, just my commuter seems to be different. Different pedal type seems to be the problem? Steve Hogg seems to be overkill right now, the money would be better spent on shoes and pedals and orthotics which would do 95% of the job... Steve doesn't get me parts and shoes :(

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Well no sooner than I had been able to commute I'm back off my bike.
But like you xplora I'm now chasing new shoes.... Well fitting bike shoes are an extremely high priority for me. I've got an angry bursa in my right foot! So I'll be looking for heat moldable shoes sooner rather than later
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:08 am

Consulte a la regla número cinco señoras!!

Upped my cadence to 105-120rpm for a big chunk of the way home last night and the way in this morning. Covered the 20.2kms with a reasonable run of lights in 43 minutes door to door. That's just outside my record 40. Faster than driving. I can't push 80-90rpm over the distance. That's including the unfortunate shoe issue :lol: