Ultegra versus 105

Jeremy

Ultegra versus 105

Postby Jeremy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:28 pm

Ok, it looks like I may be forced into an early upgrade shortly, and i'm tossing up whether to go for the Ultegra equipped bike for $400 extra, or just be happy with the 105.

Frames are identical, and I currently only have Sora 8sp on my bike.

I'm only a casual rider at this stage, but thinking about racing crits, as well as doing the usual bike SA rides throughout the year.

Theres only about 60grams weight difference between the two as I see it.....am I missing something?

Opinions greatly appreciated,
Jeremy :)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:56 pm

Go the ultegra...it is as good as Dura Ace but stiffer (AND OF COURSE HEAVIER! :D)...new 105 looks pretty good but ultegra is always a safe bet.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:41 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Go the ultegra...it is as good as Dura Ace but stiffer (AND OF COURSE HEAVIER! :D)...new 105 looks pretty good but ultegra is always a safe bet.
If you read the Shimano specs info, the 105 is designed to be more durable and reliable than the Ultegra - and more aimed at a consumer level rather than a racer level - that said, the boys at the cafe will be impressed by your Ultegra more than they will 105.

http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/vichpv/we ... parts.html

At the end of the day - can you lose a couple of grams of your waist? Then you'll probably end up with the same result weight wise on the bike, with $400 in your pocket for jerseys, knicks, and other bits.....

If it were me, I'd be going for 105 - it works nice and smooth, and I do like the polished finish.....
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:43 pm

wise advice.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:39 pm

uncle arthur wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Go the ultegra...it is as good as Dura Ace but stiffer (AND OF COURSE HEAVIER! :D)...new 105 looks pretty good but ultegra is always a safe bet.
If you read the Shimano specs info, the 105 is designed to be more durable and reliable than the Ultegra - and more aimed at a consumer level rather than a racer level - that said, the boys at the cafe will be impressed by your Ultegra more than they will 105.

http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/vichpv/we ... parts.html

At the end of the day - can you lose a couple of grams of your waist? Then you'll probably end up with the same result weight wise on the bike, with $400 in your pocket for jerseys, knicks, and other bits.....

If it were me, I'd be going for 105 - it works nice and smooth, and I do like the polished finish.....
That reads like a pile of old hogwash to me :lol:
Ultegra is on an exact par to XT....and no one will dispute that XT is the strongest most reliable group set in the the shimano range to put on a mtb.I would still get the ultegra...I guarantee there is a better feel with the Ultegra,better shifting for sure...do a 105 vs Ultegra search if you dont believe me.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:42 pm

Just done a quick search of a few bike sites (australian) and the difference in price of buying just the groupsets is about $180, that I'm sure though is not how they work there rrp's though. Obviously if you bought the bits individually it would cost a lot more. Is that the only difference in the bikes?

I mulled over a similar decision recently when buying my MTB. I went with the better groupset bits and glad I did. If cash is ok I'd go ultegra.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:16 pm

You buy the best frame you can afford and then mate it with the best running gear you can afford. End of story. 'Saving' money rarely works out to cost you less.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:37 pm

Well i'll be looking to do some sort of deal, as they will be using some parts from my bike in the construction of this new one (my frame appears to be stuffed) but the two models I am using for reference are these:

http://www.orbea.com.au/bikes/road_bicycles/dauphine
http://www.orbea.com.au/bikes/road_bicycles/vuelta

there is a link to the specs under each image......

Which model I go for depends on what I decide is best value for money.....that's what i'm hoping you guys can help me with :)

I'm not sure that it will actually be $400 difference, as i'm not sure what wheels i want to use either (I could use my current wheels).

I could find the extra money if needed, but there are certainly other things I could use that money on.

From what i've read, the new 10sp 105 is a good piece of kit, and 100% compatible with ultegra/dura ace....so if i pick up a few bits and pieces along the way (when on special from PBK or whatever) then i can upgrade bit by bit as i feel necessary.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:15 pm

I've got 105 all round (except brakes) on a roadie and am happy with it but the missus has 105 flat bar shifters and an ultegra RD. After riding both it seems that the ultegra RD shift has more snap to it changing to smaller cogs so probably faster but not as smooth as 105. Changing to larger cogs I wouldn't know which was which in a blind test. Keep in mind it could be the shifters giving this feel.
The older I get, the better I was...

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:02 pm

If you can afford it go the Ultegra, if not don't fret.

I'm running 105, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, it does it's job, and serves me well. However, when any of the bits need replacing, I'll be replacing them with Ultegra (budget permitting).
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:11 pm

From what I've read and drooled over, seems to me that the two groups are both excellent gear with Ultegra being a bit lighter here and there, and with added "snap" Either would do the job under an amateurs bum with aplomb.

Point is Jeremy, is there other ways you could be spending those $400 that will provide better value for money than the higher gruppo?, you know, lighter wheels and tyres, a tubeless conversion, B17 saddle :P , even down to a few sessions with a trainer to identify any problems with your form or training approach, the list is as long as you can think :wink:

I'm another one of the school who thinks the frame of the bike should outlast at least three drivetrains, upgrading as you go. Given a chance, I'd be happy to buy a "solid gold" frame with EPNS components, knowing that the bits'd be swapped out a piece at a time pretty quickly with the funds controller none the wiser :twisted: Small purchases are so much easier to conceal :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Addict

Postby Addict » Wed May 14, 2008 9:30 pm

digging up an old thread but i find myself in the same situation.. ie frames are same and option of going ultegra or 105 groupset.

speaking with the salesman - the 08 105 group set was last years 'ultegra'. Quality,build etc has improved so much infact ultegra rebadging (ultegra sl?).

What does everyone else think? go the ultegra?

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Wed May 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Whats the price difference?

munga

Postby munga » Wed May 14, 2008 9:34 pm

if you burn off some weight youre going to be fitter into the bargain, thusly capable of applying more power into that heavier groupset. win/win.

Addict

Postby Addict » Wed May 14, 2008 9:50 pm

is that the only difference between ultegra and 105 ?? weight?

that being the case id go for the 105 for sure !! but want to check on reliability.

price difference is a good couple hundred of dollars.

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Wed May 14, 2008 9:50 pm

I ended up sticking with my sora 8sp groupset and putting it on the new frame.....
It's more than capable of running smoothly enough for normal riding....when i get up to the pointier end of the field i may revisit the idea of upgrading.....but for now i figure more benefits can be made from saving the dollars and working on the engine ;)

crhoo1

Postby crhoo1 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:50 am

105 will do the job. I've doen 12,000km on my 105. I've been told the new 10 speed 105 is equivalent to ultegra gear of about 2 years ago.

sandman

Postby sandman » Fri May 16, 2008 1:03 pm

My Scott came with a cheap SRAM crankset, unknown brand of cassette and a Shimano chain. I put Ultegra Cranks on the front, Ultegra Cassette, Dura Ace chain and the shifters are all 105. The thing just purrs like a kitten.

Personally if you had the money, go full Ultegra

Pete

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Fri May 16, 2008 3:13 pm

Shouldn't be as much difference in the price as there sometimes is http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/Groupsets.asp. :x

nzdans

Postby nzdans » Sat May 17, 2008 12:21 am

After spending over 10 years as a full time bike mechanic in some of the largest shops in NZ and Aus I would like to put in my $0.02..

Ultegra is by far the best value grouppo. I have owned a number of 105 and Ultegra bikes and would not recommend 105 unless you are doing minimal Kms; it will not last anywhere near as long. There is a noticeable performance difference all around as well.

I have just bought my 1st full Dura-Ace bike (retail-waaagh!) so am looking forward to this experience and seeing just how well this grouppo lasts with my fat arse atop.

Happy shopping!

wallaby77

Postby wallaby77 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:48 am

I'm no expert but having just bought a bike, I've recently enjoyed test riding quite a few 105 and Ultegra and Ultegra SL equipped bikes. It was simply a matter of finance that I ended up with a 105 equipped bike. But I absolutley loved the ultegra sl (and I think it looks pretty darn cool in its ice-grey colour)and did notice a difference in 'smoothness' and responsiveness between 105 and ultegra.

Don't get me wrong 105 works just fine but if you can find those few extra $$$ I'd go for the Ultegra. :)

CB

Postby CB » Sat May 17, 2008 10:51 am

just with regard to the two bikes you put up, hope you didn't go the 'dauphine' - its french for 'princess'

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Sat May 17, 2008 5:36 pm

CB wrote:just with regard to the two bikes you put up, hope you didn't go the 'dauphine' - its french for 'princess'
haha, thanks for that......no I didn't......I ended up with last years model of the 'Aqua'

bigbuzz73

Re: Ultegra versus 105

Postby bigbuzz73 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:38 pm

Jeremy wrote:Ok, it looks like I may be forced into an early upgrade shortly, and i'm tossing up whether to go for the Ultegra equipped bike for $400 extra, or just be happy with the 105.

I'm only a casual rider at this stage, but thinking about racing crits, as well as doing the usual bike SA rides throughout the year.

Theres only about 60grams weight difference between the two as I see it.....am I missing something?

Jeremy :)
Hi Jeremy,
Ever heard the old saying "Shimano wears out: Campag wears in"? It is as true now as it has ever been. Besides, Campag is heaps cooler!

swishy

Re: Ultegra versus 105

Postby swishy » Sun May 25, 2008 7:47 pm

[quote="bigbuzz73"][quote="Jeremy"]Ok, it looks like I may be forced into an early upgrade shortly, and i'm tossing up whether to go for the Ultegra equipped bike for $400 extra, or just be happy with the 105.

Jeremy :)[/quote]

Hi Jeremy,
Ever heard the old saying "Shimano wears out: Campag wears in"? It is as true now as it has ever been. Besides, Campag is heaps cooler![/quote]

Personally I'd go for whatever isn't cool.