UNICYCLISTS - get together Sun 2 or 9 Sept

ColinOldnCranky

UNICYCLISTS - get together Sun 2 or 9 Sept

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:29 am

If anyone here who has mastered just the basics - riding and steering basically - and is interested in a ride or some showing off or swapping tips and stuff, I am suggesting heading to Mandurah as a group on the train. Sunday 2nd or Sunday 9th September.

You only need to have mastered just the basics - riding and steering. If interested in a ride or some showing off or swapping tips and stuff this is for you.

From the station we can take a bus - they run every quarter hour to Mandurah Terrace (by the water). Transperth is fine with chainless unicycles although it is always wise to take a copy of the web page on bikes on Transperth. Others up for it can ride instead and meet up at the Terrace. (It's about 3km or twenty minutes for OK street/path riders).

What we do will be determined a lot by the lowest common denominator in the way of skill and confidence. I suggest that we just find a spot and practice and show of skills to each other. Then if there are one or two who want to go for some exploring they can split off for a while. Mandurah around the centre and the quay would have to be about the best for ambling.

I am nominating wither Sunday 2nd or Sunday 9th which gives some time to check our schedules and fit it in. I have a regular rider who is interested in going with a preference for 9th but if you prefer otherwise, post here.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Re: UNICYCLISTS - get together Sun 2 or 9 Sept

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Bump.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Trike? :twisted:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

gazman

Postby gazman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Trike?

Yep, but there has to be three on it!!! :wink:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Yeah - I never even thought about it but I think a trike would not be out of place. Just because it is different.And there is certainly an element of "look at me" in unicycling.

Be prepared however for letting some of the rest of us wanting to try the seat. :lol:

In a practical sense we would expect that you would head off for a fast ride without the rest of us.

But yes - if you wanna join in that would be awesome. Say so and PM me your mobile.

As I have said, a trike would not be out of place. But even better I am a little excited at the prospect if you guys are serious. 8)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:55 am

Speedster

Postby Speedster » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Not sure if you'd considered it, but this Sunday (2nd) is Fathers Day...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:43 pm

Speedster wrote:Not sure if you'd considered it, but this Sunday (2nd) is Fathers Day...
Yeah - It's been set now to Sunday 9th. People just staring to commit. Got six, possibly seven so far. Still room for more.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:55 pm

It seems that the weather gods are unicyclists. They are predicted to be putting on a sunny day with a maximum of 27C just for me. 8)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Mandurah Sunday 13 min to 28 max, sunny.

We have six definites and an almost definite.

If there is anyone else out there who want's to join in we will all be converging on the Mandurah Train Station at the arrival of the 10:06 train (Leaves Perth at 9:16). Then, at each riders option, ride into Mandurah waterfront - 2.7km/20m or 20 minutes on the bus.

If you are interested in joining us PM me your phone number so that we can ensure that we all meet up.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Hmm
You may be swamped :)
I'm running an Audax Peel around Peel ride on the 9th and YES Mandurah is a pit stop and major refuel point for us.
Leaving DWP at 7am and should be down to Mandurah 9:30ish to 10am I believe
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Hmm
You may be swamped :)
I'm running an Audax Peel around Peel ride on the 9th and YES Mandurah is a pit stop and major refuel point for us.
Leaving DWP at 7am and should be down to Mandurah 9:30ish to 10am I believe
Not a chance of intersecting. By my reckoning we will get to your 64km point about 10:25 earliest - you would need some serious problems to be that late.

Good luck - have a beer for me when you finish.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Yay - we all met on the train or at the station. We saw lots of cyclists in group rides or just taking up space together around the water and the coffee shops and bumped into another who I met the other day at Sassys - small world. It was certainly a great day to be doing things, fishing, gardening, coffee shops, golf, riding, whatever.

One of the blokes also took his giraffe (tall uni). I got tow newbs riding it (NEVER had a failure - tall unicycles really are not difficult, they just look that way. They are now gonna buy their own as well so that'll make four in my little clique.

And for me? For me it was a red letter day. Subsequent to tearing tendons off the shoulder in October 2010 it's been 23 month since I got onto my giraffe (tall unicycle). Well, I took the opportunity.

Remarkably, the very first freemount attempt and I nailed it. And the second. (We wont mention t4, 5, 6 and 7 though :oops: ). I really thought that I'd have to work the skills back in but it is easy. I may have to change my name here - sixty doesn't feel so old atm.

Pretty much I am now committed to riding the giraffe in the Christmas pageant - it is actually easier as I can ride it slower for longer distances anyway.

And everyone is keen to meet up again.

All in all a very satisfying outcome.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:54 pm

So which unicyclust didn't head to mandurah today? I saw one on the south Perth foreshore around 11-12 this morning. I was Hard to spot as I was in a bunch of Great Dane owners and their dogs!! I'd taken Daphne and there were probably about 50 dogs there today. It's a regular club walk but the location changes each month.

The uni didn't appear to want to stop though. Sad - thought he'd look good with daph on the lead trotting next to him!!