Replacing Shifters on OCR3

TethAdam5

Replacing Shifters on OCR3

Postby TethAdam5 » Fri May 16, 2008 1:36 pm

Considering my LBS is gonna take over a week to fix my bike, I would rather have a crack at fixing it myself and learn something in the process.

I have a 2008 OCR 3 with 2200-series drivetrain (triple front chain ring) and 8 speed shifters (that are busted up).

What options do I have in terms of replacing the shifters - do I have to get the exact matching shifters, or can I get Sora shifters as long as they are 8-speed?

Thanks

/noob!

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri May 16, 2008 2:11 pm

You can use nearly any 8 speed Shimano shifter.

e.g, I think these would work

TethAdam5

Postby TethAdam5 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:19 pm

cool - thanks bnej!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 16, 2008 9:31 pm

You could probably also use any 9 or 10 speed shifter, if you changed your cluster and chain at the same time.

I'm interested to see what shifters you end up with and how much $$$
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

TethAdam5

Postby TethAdam5 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:20 pm

OK this is looking complicated. Just had a look at the shifters - they are definitely damaged - one doesn't change the gears at all, the other changes, but is extremely bent.

It looks very complicated to get them apart/remove the cables - can anyone give me a crash course or link to a post/sute that gives a quick overview of what I should be doing to remove them safely (ie without copping a spring in the eye).

Any help is appreciated!

wayno

Re: Replacing Shifters on OCR3

Postby wayno » Mon May 19, 2008 8:57 am

TethAdam5 wrote:I have a 2008 OCR 3 with 2200-series drivetrain (triple front chain ring) and 8 speed shifters (that are busted up).
What happened to the shifters on a 08 bike! Being on is bent, was it an accident?

Shimano shifters are not meant to be repaired (although another forum member is having a fair crack at putting one back toogether). They are a bolt on item. Have a look at shimano's instructions on their site.

wayne

TethAdam5

Re: Replacing Shifters on OCR3

Postby TethAdam5 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:55 pm

wayno wrote: What happened to the shifters on a 08 bike! Being on is bent, was it an accident?

Shimano shifters are not meant to be repaired (although another forum member is having a fair crack at putting one back toogether). They are a bolt on item. Have a look at shimano's instructions on their site.

wayne
They were damaged in a recent crash I had - one of them lost the thumb clicker on top and wouldn't change with the brake shifter, and the other was bent outwards from the handlebars, but seem to be OK.

In any case, I've decided to replace them for safety's sake - the left one was kaput.

TethAdam5

Postby TethAdam5 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:04 pm

I'll try to detail the best I can the progress of the replacement - I've chosen the shifters and they've been sent from c r c yesterday, so I'm hoping to get them early next week.

They are Shimano R500 STi 8 speed shifters - LINK

They are as close to the Tiagra/Ultegra/105 style of shifter as I could get in an 8 speed/Triple combination - when compared to the 2200 or Sora models which keep the thumb clicker in combination with brake lever shifting - this style of shifting is very annoying, as you can't change gears up and down without taking your hands out of the drops.

The price is very severe - $200, but it should improve my controls significantly.

I will post pics of progress once I get the new shifters - for any other noobs interested!

[/url]