Garmin premium Heart Rate transmitter

Marty Moose

Garmin premium Heart Rate transmitter

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:28 pm

Mines died anyone have a great place to buy a new transmitter ??

MM

clackers

Re: Garmin premium Heart Rate transmitter

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Should be able to use any ANT+ belt, Marty ...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:43 pm

IMO the premium heart rate belts from garmin deserve the bin...
I ended up going back and getting the old style as my last one survived 3 years before I screwed up the battery change. Get anything but the Garmin premium strap!
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Costanza

Postby Costanza » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:10 pm

I agree with Baalzamon - I am on my third and last Garmin premium heart rate strap (all replaced under warranty) but they have been disappointing.

2012 Giant TCR Advaned SL0
2011 Pinarello FP3

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:26 pm

I'll add my voice to the chorus. My premium heart rate strap worked great for awhile. Now it still works, but the output is garbage. I'll be going hard, like 90% max, and it'll be reading 45bpm.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:33 pm

I've been using a polar wear link strap with the garmin transmitter it works great but the transmitter has died.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Google Garmin Flapping Jersey Syndrome.

Basically I use mine daily and I am lucky to get more than four months out of a Garmin Premium Strap. Been using the Polar ones - there was a nice little lurk where you could buy the Polar strap only from Ribble for $15 odd - I got three, and they are starting to get unreliable after eighteen months.

Going to go to the Old School Non Premium Garmin strap like Baalz next.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:24 pm

I must be one of the lucky ones...I've done just over 3000km with mine and all is good....Touch Wood!!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:22 am

Mines a few months old and working fine. Better than the old polar did and that was the only reliable part of the polar.
Maybe it's due to die. I'll try batteries before binning it though.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:49 am

One of the things about HRM transmitters that I have just found out is you have to wash the pick up pads regularly.

I used to have a Polar and never had any problems but with my Brynton 30 I was getting spurious readings, up to 245 bpm. The Polar had a different type of sensor pad.

My LBS contacted Brynaton and they took it back, checked it out and the transmitter was Ok,just a build up of salts in the web of the sensors on the belt causing the readings to go haywire.

Brynton sent back the transmitter, my old belt plus a new one at no charge. They only arrived yesterday but everything worked fine on this mornings ride using the old belt. I haven't used the new one yet and I will be washing the old one more regularly and see how it goes.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:49 pm

I've never even washed mine...just take it off and hang it up:)

squizz_08

Postby squizz_08 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:43 pm

How long is the warranty on the Premium straps?

Mine is going dodgy too...

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:02 pm

squizz_08 wrote:How long is the warranty on the Premium straps?
My Garmin strap lasted less than 12 months. I rang Highly Tuned Athletes and was told they are a consumable product and not covered by warranty and that I'd had a good lifespan at just under 12 months. Sounds like BS to me. Expensive, poor quality product. Not happy.
The Premium strap has been plagued with problems since the day of it's release. There are a multitude of dissatisfied customers out there.
We don't hear from Rob at Highly Tuned Athletes around here much any more. Perhaps he's tired of defending an accessory with known faults. Been quite a few problems with the Edge800 too from what I've read.
The arrogance of these big corporates bugs me. Garmin continue selling expensive fault ridden products at massive profits and basically turn their backs on their customers when things go wrong. Try ringing support, pftt.., waited 40 minutes and gave up. Email, no reply after several, polite efforts. I'll look elsewhere next time.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Tim wrote:
squizz_08 wrote:How long is the warranty on the Premium straps?
My Garmin strap lasted less than 12 months. I rang Highly Tuned Athletes and was told they are a consumable product and not covered by warranty and that I'd had a good lifespan at just under 12 months. Sounds like BS to me. Expensive, poor quality product. Not happy.
The Premium strap has been plagued with problems since the day of it's release. There are a multitude of dissatisfied customers out there.
We don't hear from Rob at Highly Tuned Athletes around here much any more. Perhaps he's tired of defending an accessory with known faults. Been quite a few problems with the Edge800 too from what I've read.
The arrogance of these big corporates bugs me. Garmin continue selling expensive fault ridden products at massive profits and basically turn their backs on their customers when things go wrong. Try ringing support, pftt.., waited 40 minutes and gave up. Email, no reply after several, polite efforts. I'll look elsewhere next time.
There's a one year warranty on Garmin products so you should make a claim. The procedure is on the Garmin Australia website.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:11 pm

I gave up on my Garmin premium straps some time ago and that was after Rob at Highly Tuned Athletes replaced them a couple of times. I now use an Adidas HRM strap with the Garmin sensor. Works a treat.

Andrew

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:02 pm

I did similar to you Aus used a pillar wear link strap, it worked fine two battery changes later the transmitter died :( Now use the garmin std strap it seems good do far.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

squizz_08

Postby squizz_08 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:36 pm

I cannot kill the old strap. The new one I've had less than 12 months of use, but just over 12 months of ownership (left it at home whilst I was overseas for 4 months).

Add me to the list of those not getting a 'premium' strap again...