Newbie needing help with buying a bike

Metro

Newbie needing help with buying a bike

Postby Metro » Fri May 16, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am looking to buy a hybrid/flat bar road bike. Popped into a few shops over the weekend and found something that might do the job and fall without my budget of $1000.

I am wondering what you guys think of the Avanti Blade 4.0, its on special for $900 down from $1200.

I would only be using it for recreational riding after work and on the weekends. I have a few friends riding road bikes and am hoping to be able to keep up with them.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers,
Metro

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri May 16, 2008 4:10 pm

G'day Metro,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd say get a drop bar road bike if you're looking to ride with others on road bikes. They are more accepting of you if you're on a bike just like theirs.

If you were only planning to ride by yourself, the flat bar is okay but limiting in the number of hand positions available. The Avanti Blade is well respected - you'll be fine if that's the route you choose to take.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri May 16, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi Metro,

I started riding in October last year with a Blade 2.0. At the time I wasn't sure if I'd end up liking road riding or end up wanting to go offroad. For me, the urge for riding faster and longer distances on road made my mind up. I recently bought a racing bike but still keep the Blade as a spare :-).

I found I could generally keep up with drop bars with the Blade, but those riders might have been holding back to let me keep up ;-).

Cheers
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Metro

Postby Metro » Mon May 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, i am still looking around. Not sure if i want a flat bar or drop bar now.