The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Chuck

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby Chuck » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:49 pm

toolonglegs wrote: Hopefully I can find a skin suit this week from one of my clubmates...
There's another cyclist in France as big as you :o and he rides for the same club :shock:
FPR Ragamuffin

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Chuck wrote:
toolonglegs wrote: Hopefully I can find a skin suit this week from one of my clubmates...
There's another cyclist in France as big as you :o and he rides for the same club :shock:
I wish!.
I am going to try and fit an XL skin suit from another guy in the club. I have to race in club kit so it's either that or normal gear but I keep hearing how much difference a skin suit makes!.
I have actually meet one other guy racing at Cat1/2 level who is my size :-) ...but he may be bigger than me now ;-) .

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:49 pm

School hols suck for training... Snuck out last night but only had an hour before dark and big thunder storms arrived.
So a quick 27km loop at near full gas in a heat wave :-) . Had to pace the first couple of k's to warm up so pretty happy with a 38.3kmph av with traffic lights and pesky cars!.
Heat isn't my thing though as I don't recover we'll and muscle pain stays around a lot longer. Here's hoping the heat wave breaks before the weekend!.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:40 am

Skinsuit fits :D ... looks good too :lol: .
Still wondering if I should hunt down a disc rear.
Anyway legs are still a bit tired but when I finished my 50kms yesterday on the TT bike I actually wanted to carry on hammering it.
Bit of recovery rolling needed to day and a leg freshener tomorrow and I should be right!... whether the weather will play fair remains to be seen but we will all be under the same sky.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:19 pm

While I wasn't able to get a long ride today, I was still able to battle through a rather windy day and was able to keep to 20km an hour average on the 20km trip. I did manage to fall off my bike hahaha. I tried to turn a sharp corner with 1 foot out of the cleat (but the other foot was still in and I ended up tripping).

Down I went, very embarassing hahaha. As I was turning right and my right foot was still in the cleat (silly mistake). Lesson learn't.

Luckily no one was watching. I did manage to fall on grass so it wasn't that bad.
I cracked 46.3km an hour so the top speed is slowly going up. I would love to hit 50km one day.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Careful out there Adrian!.
40km " tune up " ride today. Ended up having a day off yesterday and legs didn't feel good because of it. They don't exactly feel fresh today either... so that may or may not be a good thing come tomorrow.
I did pedal hard on a short Strava segment that I haven't done since April... took 20 secs of 1.4km climb that I know I gave everything in April. Hardly got out of the saddle today and certainly wasn't giving it everything... looking good for next year :D . Although all my local climbs are done by a young kiwi who is over here racing for one of the big amateur teams and he is REALLY good ( some of his KOM's are better than the pro's ) ... so no matter how good I go I can always see that I am in the "punter " catergory :lol: .

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:20 pm

Not racing today, so yesterday went out on race bike to check the detours for the commute to work and do some sweetspot intervals ie ride at 90% of my race FTP, 1st twenty minutes difficult to hold, next 20 minutes easier, did put an effort in the little 400m (AT) 4% at the end, before switching off and cruising through the detour maze. What was 4km and less than 8 minutes is now 5km, 20 minutes and lots of stops. After 40 minutes of "recovery ride", turned round and headed home, only got one 20 minute sweetspot, before a little over 20 minutes at recovery, before a couple of failed hill sprints and home.

I have ridden that route over 100 times and do not expect to challenge my strava PBs unless feeling good and with 20kmh+ tailwind. Little wind, but surprised myself with top 10 times all the way up. Average 5% more power and aero wheels help, did a PB on the little climb. Return trip a little more sedate, but by then the wind had picked up and was a head/crosswind which mean new aero wheels made for interesting ride.

Today, just one lap of the race circuit (28km) on a singlespeed before attending to marshalling duties

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:06 am

121km on the TT bike yesterday, todays "commute" (42km) was torture...

PS, TLL... 95.0Kg after my ride yesterday... but I was probably still dehydrated.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:28 pm

70km hill loop today, finally recovering from lurgi. HAve a fortnight at home so planning on smashing as many hills as I can to get fit again. Need to lose 6-8kg. Really blew out over the last 3 mths. Recovery from Cairns 70.3 took way too long.
You have officially become your parents.

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:57 pm

15 km spin, back into my old route, which I just love riding. Moving Av 25.0 kph, elevation gain 156 m.

Finished feeling fresh and ready for coaching and squash training later in the day.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Had a change of heart over weekend, decided to bin the 50/60/70klm rides and concentrate on hill climbs.
I have sunset drive, little mountain and bald knob/maleny all locally and going to start on the local ones and work into the harder Lindsay road type.
I get bored doing the bigger rides.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Finally Twiz... You won't know yourself. I am still hovering around 91-92 ( fully hydrated :-) )... Still a long way to go though... 85 is the aim.
Yesterday after my tt I had a fair bit of time to kill so I had planned ahead with the road bike also in the car :-) ... Headed up into the hills for 50ks ( after i had recovered sufficiently ) for a look around a new area... Beautiful!... The choice of riding I have at hand is really amazing.
Plus I needed to burn off some excitement from my first tt ... Worked a little bit but I was still buzzing at 10 pm last night ( after a 9:19 start time )... Need to get out today as total days off after a hard day have me seizing up!

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Same route today as yesterday, but crikey felt like a block head wind for the first 7 km. Then the nice long gentle downhill section, had a nasty head/cross wind, yuck. 22.7 kph av today.
Felt exhausted after 90 minutes of squash training last night, just about fell asleep doing my (2nd set) stretches at 10.30 pm, but pushed through them and unfortunately woke myself up too much to go to sleep, ended up still awake at 2.30 am.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Yesterday I snuck out to check out next Sundays TT course, only on the road bike. Parked further away than I thought and only took one bottle and one gel. Rode the course and caught up with two old boys who were checking it out as well. We hammered a few parts of it but there are some really problem sections where traffic control will be needed, also some really rough sections where CX bike will be needed. Anyway will be hard work for me Sunday as the course has a lot of climbing and isn't as technical as I hoped.After that headed back to car trying to find food and water but not having any luck. Ended up with 90 something k's on the clock (about 30 more than I was aiming for)... with most done at 35 plus avs. No surprise mu legs are sore today, good sore of course after 2 really hard days. Also demolished all the food in the house when I got home!... also not what I was planning.
Quiet day today :D . Then planning hard day tomorrow before another mini taper.Not going to back off too much for this TT as it really doesn't suit me and I have bigger goals :D .

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:19 pm

I had a good training session today. I tried out my Fixie bike for a 20km ride and found it really awesome. I was amazed at how well it keeps speed and how quickly it brought up speed. Maybe its that the bike was a better fit than my gitane (57cm bike and i'm 172cm). I had an awesome time setting my targets with slightly slower riders on the track. I would try and catch up and then hold back just before overtaking haha. It was fun.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:39 pm

I keep all of my ride data on a USB flash drive, I change them every year or so to be sure that it doesn't "wear out" (memory cells or connector).

But the drive controller just failed and wiped out the whole drive. :(

I've lost about 6 weeks of ride data (from the last local backup), and (more importantly), all my budget docs. Not happy, Jan.

Edit: managed to recover the latest budget doc! Now only partly unhappy.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Lazyweek

Postby Lazyweek » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:04 pm

In the gym tonight, had a cold this week so skipped Wednesday's training. Anyway-

Back squats 4 X 3 80 kg, then singles at 85, 90 and 95 kg
Push press 5 X 5 40 kg
Pullups 5 + 2 X 3, 2 with extra 5 kg

Pretty sure I could have squatted 105 kg for a single tonight. 95 kg felt suprisingly light. Don't want to over do, I'll just keep adding 5 kg to my working sets each week.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Big week.
Hill rides x 3, ocean swims x 2, personal trainer session by 1, Mt Warning climb x 1, random weights and cruiser rides etc.
Bit sore and flogged out this arvo, but looking forward to a club bunch ride tomorrow.
I put the race wheels on today, I think I've earned a ride on them.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:25 pm

Had an awesome run today. I was only planning to do 20km or so and ended up going for 02:53 hours and was able to get 56.11km done. I was running out of time since I left at around 2:20pm and got back just after 5pm.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Finally think I have recovered form teh flu. It's been a few days now since any coughing, and feeling much stronger on the bike. Had a good ride today, and actually had some power on the hills for the first time in ages. Warmer weather is definitely making a huge difference. Yay !!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:47 am

Day off Monday.
Tuesday hammered out a 100k with big hill in the middle, aim was to keep a 30km average for entire ride ( 1500m climbing ) and get up the climb in 50 minutes... basically make it hurt :D .
Was maybe a bit keen after the crap tt on Sunday, had a great ride though. Kept a 35 av for the first hour then hit the climb at tempo. 53 minutes later came out of the clouds at the top. Bit slower than hoped but felt good all the way. Kept the pace up for the final 90 minutes but only scraped in a 29.3 av.
Had a leave pass to go for the club run tonight but pulled the pin at the last minute... would of been too much.
Rest of the week gotta go away for work... so hopefully can squeeze some riding in!.
100 km race on Sunday with 1750m climb... so going to get spat out the back :lol:
Anyway training is a bit up in the air at the moment as I don't know if I am training for National TT's in 4 weeks or not... major insurance problems stuffing everyone up. If not it will be time to drag out the mtb and start getting ready for CX season :D :D :D .

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:52 am

toolonglegs wrote:Day off Monday.
Tuesday hammered out a 100k with big hill in the middle, aim was to keep a 30km average for entire ride ( 1500m climbing ) and get up the climb in 50 minutes... basically make it hurt :D .
Was maybe a bit keen after the crap tt on Sunday, had a great ride though. Kept a 35 av for the first hour then hit the climb at tempo. 53 minutes later came out of the clouds at the top. Bit slower than hoped but felt good all the way. Kept the pace up for the final 90 minutes but only scraped in a 29.3 av.
Had a leave pass to go for the club run tonight but pulled the pin at the last minute... would of been too much.
Rest of the week gotta go away for work... so hopefully can squeeze some riding in!.
100 km race on Sunday with 1750m climb... so going to get spat out the back :lol:
Anyway training is a bit up in the air at the moment as I don't know if I am training for National TT's in 4 weeks or not... major insurance problems stuffing everyone up. If not it will be time to drag out the mtb and start getting ready for CX season :D :D :D .
Are you sure it wasn't a mountain? Only 1500m.......

I thought my 450m was a hill, probably just a bump in the road in your area.

Cheers

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:58 pm

It's just my local 8) .
Strava gives it a Cat 1 rating ...14.7km, Avg Grade 5.4% and 800 meters from top to bottom ( top is 1000m ) ... all the figures are skewed though as it starts with 4 km's at 7%, drops down for 1.5kms then another 6.5km's at 7.5%... another km or so flat, finishing with 2kms at 8.5% ( including some rather steep bits up in the 20's ).
So getting close to a mountain I suppose... it was the biggest mountain in the world on February the 9th when it took me 90 minutes to get up, last 4 kms on hard pack snow at -15C at the bottom... coldest I have ever been, I had to stop twice to warm up on the way up :shock: ... an adventure looking back ( nearly 6 hours on the coldest day of the year )... but a bit foolish as well!.
The really big climbs are another 30km's further east like the Grand Colombier (16km's at 8.1%) and Mont du Chat ( with a section of 9kms (AT) 10% ) ... now they really hurt!.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:11 pm

toolonglegs wrote:It's just my local 8) .
Strava gives it a Cat 1 rating ...14.7km, Avg Grade 5.4% and 800 meters from top to bottom ( top is 1000m ) ... all the figures are skewed though as it starts with 4 km's at 7%, drops down for 1.5kms then another 6.5km's at 7.5%... another km or so flat, finishing with 2kms at 8.5% ( including some rather steep bits up in the 20's ).
So getting close to a mountain I suppose... it was the biggest mountain in the world on February the 9th when it took me 90 minutes to get up, last 4 kms on hard pack snow at -15C at the bottom... coldest I have ever been, I had to stop twice to warm up on the way up :shock: ... an adventure looking back ( nearly 6 hours on the coldest day of the year )... but a bit foolish as well!.
The really big climbs are another 30km's further east like the Grand Colombier (16km's at 8.1%) and Mont du Chat ( with a section of 9kms (AT) 10% ) ... now they really hurt!.
Wow that hill sounds awesome and scary at the same time. Would there be any risk if it was to rain while you were riding in the snow? Would your hands stick to the bars? I would hate to imagine having the cleats frozen to the pedals doh.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:49 pm

You have to look at the weather forecasts pretty well when riding over an hour in those temps. I don't think it could rain at minus 15 ?... The main problem is the frozen fogs that in turn lay down black ice. sometimes you fall off and you realize you are on a huge patch of black ice and you can't even walk on it. Riding on snow once compacted is much safer as long as it stays frozen.
I actually quite enjoy riding in winter... Just takes so long to get ready!.
Ps... The main issue is a mechanical... Changing a puncture when you can't feel your hands at all ( and haven't been able to for a while ) is rather hard work.