Tubular sealent issues (can't inflate)

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Tubular sealent issues (can't inflate)

Postby grnis200 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:12 pm

Been riding my tubulars as everyday wheels and love them. No punctures in over 15,000kms.

But just recently I've had trouble inflating the tyres. I start pumping and the floor pump will spike up really high (160psi+) and slowly equalise. I tried removing the valve core and poking a paper clip to clear the blockage. This helped and I could pump them up. But months later and now I cant pump up my front tyre.

Does anyone else have or have had a similar issue?

Help is needed urgently a I'm riding clinchers currently!! :-)

NB: Not sure what brand sealant as my mechanic put it in. (Shifter Dan, Sth Yarra if it helps)
Tyres are Schwalbe Ultremo 25mm with latex tubes
Weekends: Giant TCR Advanced SL1 - Full carbon, Dura-ace, Custom 50mm tubulars
Commute: Giant TCR Alliance 1 - Carbon / Alloy Frame, full Ultegra G/set, Dura-ace 24mm CL rims, AYUP lights
grnis200

by BNA » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:38 am

BNA

Re: Tubular sealent issues (can't inflate)

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:38 am

The symptom you describe sounds like no air is getting into the tyre at all, all you are seeing is pressure in the pump hose which slowly leaks out.

I can only suggest removing the valve core again (which has the actual valve in it), and as well as clearing any blockage in the pipe that connects to the tube make sure that the valve itself is working properly. I wonder if the little cone shaped rubber washer that seals the valve has become stuck to the valve core because of the sealant.

Have a read of the tubeless tyre thread, since those folk are having to deal with sealant all the time and are probably familiar with these issues and how to deal with them.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby petal665 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:32 am

Sealant is designed to block small holes. If you cleared it with a paper clip I'm surprised it took 'months' to reblock. One of mine blocks in a matter of days after poking it out with an old spoke.
petal665

Postby grnis200 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:04 pm

For a month or more the paperclip was enough to pump it up (slowly) but then it eventually sealed.

I bought a $2 sowing kit from Coles that included a long, wide, sharp needle and this was enough to properly clear the blockage.
Weekends: Giant TCR Advanced SL1 - Full carbon, Dura-ace, Custom 50mm tubulars
Commute: Giant TCR Alliance 1 - Carbon / Alloy Frame, full Ultegra G/set, Dura-ace 24mm CL rims, AYUP lights
grnis200

Postby orbeas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:17 pm

if the tubes have sealant glue in them and are left with little air in them, when pumped up the thin latex tube tears as because of the sealant going off... :x
happend to me
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid
orbeas

Return to The Shed