n00bie milestones

foo on patrol

Re: n00bie milestones

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:37 am

You got it out of the way now Bj. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:50 pm

I bought my first "+1" bike this afternoon ... so that's a milestone that I'm glad to have finally achieved! ;)

shann

Postby shann » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:01 pm

I got up before 5AM to ride today - first time!

Nearly had my first clip stack, in the driveway when I got home. Unclipped left, leaned right, but managed to save it and get the left foot down.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:34 pm

Did my first group ride today! Also had my first energy gel and rode twice as far as I've ever ridden. I hurt like hell now.

shann

Postby shann » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:19 pm

An evening of firsts:

First ride from the new house. Nearly had a clip stack in the driveway, as there is waaay more traffic here (and it's 'surprise' traffic that comes around a bend just as I'm about to leave).

First time I've used my Camelbak, not because I needed it, but because I wanted to have a 'practice run'.

First time I've hit a rut in the road and had my front tyre go 'thud'.

First time I've had a flat - rear tyre, boo hiss. Luckily it was close to home, but after attempting to pump it up I learned that my pump is terrible. It's hard to change it from the MTB tyre end to the RB tyre end, and once I did change it (at home, was bailed out by a fellow cyclist on the road), it still didn't work. Will be buying a new pump ASAP.

First time I've ever changed a bike tyre! Three different You Tube videos and an hour later, it's on and inflated and hopefully not pinched. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

argon_18

n00bie milestones

Postby argon_18 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Seeing heaps of improvement on my commute... Specifically the climbs.

3 hills on the homeward commute that are/have been reasonably tough for me;
- First one I've turned from almost having to get off and push to a jump out of the saddle and blast up. First few rides were around 16km/h. Now charge up at 30+ and often overtake other riders,
- Second is a medium length reasonably steep and constant 500-600m. First few around 13-15km/h. Just today went up at 26km/h,
- Third is a longer climb that still is reasonably tough. But was able to get up there tonight at +20km/h and was blowing pretty hard at the top.

At over 100kg on a big alloy bike, improving my climbing has been a real positive.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:54 pm

argon_18 wrote:Seeing heaps of improvement on my commute... Specifically the climbs.

3 hills on the homeward commute that are/have been reasonably tough for me;
- First one I've turned from almost having to get off and push to a jump out of the saddle and blast up. First few rides were around 16km/h. Now charge up at 30+ and often overtake other riders,
- Second is a medium length reasonably steep and constant 500-600m. First few around 13-15km/h. Just today went up at 26km/h,
- Third is a longer climb that still is reasonably tough. But was able to get up there tonight at +20km/h and was blowing pretty hard at the top.

At over 100kg on a big alloy bike, improving my climbing has been a real positive.
Good on ya! I've found that standing and peddling helps but there's nothing like riding hard and carrying as much momentus up the hill as you can. Gravity will eventually win and then it's good old graft to get to the top!

I've a long way to go but amazing I *want* to keep climbing the same hills that I find difficult. Is there something wrong with me?

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:05 am

stinhambo wrote:
I've a long way to go but amazing I *want* to keep climbing the same hills that I find difficult. Is there something wrong with me?
No there's nothing wrong with you....you've just been bitten by the cycling bug and it's cousin the climbing bug.....next you'll be going in search of bigger hills to conquer :wink:
Lisa

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:42 pm

marinmomma wrote:
stinhambo wrote:
No there's nothing wrong with you....you've just been bitten by the cycling bug and it's cousin the climbing bug.....next you'll be going in search of bigger hills to conquer :wink:
Yay!

I went up the same hill I struggled with on Sunday (15% gradient!) and guess what.... I struggled again BUT I didn't put my feet on the ground this time! I even resisted temptation to turn around and head back down the hill and went up another hill. Got to make this training count :)

So far I've lost 3kg and hope to lose another 4kg in the next month and a half. At least it will make those hill climbs a little easier...

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Ha, you've been bitten hard by the sounds of that comment...enjoy your climbing adventures!
Lisa

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:52 pm

I did my first 100km cycle today! 35km solo and the rest in a group.

Not sure if you like numbers but my stats were -

100.1km
4h 7m moving
526m elevation gain
24.3km average speed

Only downside is that I can't feel my legs today...

PS. Is a century ride measured in miles?

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:53 pm

stinhambo wrote:I did my first 100km cycle today! 35km solo and the rest in a group.

Not sure if you like numbers but my stats were -

100.1km
4h 7m moving
526m elevation gain
24.3km average speed

Only downside is that I can't feel my legs today...

PS. Is a century ride measured in miles?
There are metric and imperial centuries, a metric century is easier :P

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Stinhambo - great effort! Many cyclists have fond memories of their first 100km ride, and most probably hurt for a while after! I know I did :wink:

I'd agree with Andrew. Most cyclists would consider a "Century" ride to be the 100 miler (just under 161 km). Keep working, you're going great guns!

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks all! I did mine on a muesli bar and a bowl of Weetbix but I doubt I could do an Imperial ton on that..

The other positive is in one month I've lost 4.5kg! I'm was aiming for 90kg but I think 85kg is realistic now.

GolferGoneMad

Postby GolferGoneMad » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Completed my first 100km today, feeling worse for wear now, however; im stoked that I finally got that one done. Only been riding a road bike since April, so im happy with my first gloat.....
Hopefully there will be more to come. :D

Giant TCR 0 2014
Giant Defy 1

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:26 pm

GolferGoneMad wrote:Completed my first 100km today, feeling worse for wear now, however; im stoked that I finally got that one done. Only been riding a road bike since April, so im happy with my first gloat.....
Well done mate! Having done exactly the same today I can congratulate you for a job well done :)

I was sore at 70km but it was well worth it! I even managed a couple of 10-15% gradients too. I need some energy gels and a massage..

osrg

Postby osrg » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Was a couple of weeks ago now, and after nearly 12 months on the bike i guess i might not be a noobie now....... but completed my first imperial ton (160km ride). Physically it was easier than i thought, it's just keeping mentally aware whilst on the ride that is the killer.

Link: http://www.brytonsport.com/mapTrackView/2?id=713699

GolferGoneMad

Postby GolferGoneMad » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:55 pm

stinhambo wrote:
GolferGoneMad wrote:Completed my first 100km today, feeling worse for wear now, however; im stoked that I finally got that one done. Only been riding a road bike since April, so im happy with my first gloat.....
Well done mate! Having done exactly the same today I can congratulate you for a job well done :)

I was sore at 70km but it was well worth it! I even managed a couple of 10-15% gradients too. I need some energy gels and a massage..
Cheers for the well done and like wise to your self. I tried for a massage, all I got was being called an idiot for trying to push my self...... geez, wheres the love.

One thing it did teach me is that i need to carry more fluid, one bottle is not enough thats for sure.

Giant TCR 0 2014
Giant Defy 1

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:50 am

shann wrote:First time I've ever changed a bike tyre! Three different You Tube videos and an hour later, it's on and inflated and hopefully not pinched. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
G'day mate, when you put the tyre on, pull the top back a bit and work your way around the wheel, you'll be able to see whether or not the tube has been pinched. I'd suggest you get a few CO2 canisters, takes all of 5 seconds to inflate your tyre.
Happy Days

Milar

Postby Milar » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Cracked my first metric century today :D. I suffered in the last 20-30 and was really gone for the last 10, but I haven't had any rides over 30km in the past 2 months so I guess I deserve what I get! I rode it solo to so no free tows which I really wanted at times. Probably need to take more than a muesli bar and bottle of water next time :roll:. The bottle of red last night may not have assisted either :wink:

Gory Details:
100.1 km
03:38 moving time
773m elevation gain
27.5 kph average

VRE

Postby VRE » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:34 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Spork! wrote:OK, so plenty of threads about 100 - 200 - 300k rides. Certainly achievements worthy of note, and something for us mere mortals to aspire too, but I can't find any threads for all us newbies to boast our own small achievements. So I thought I'd make one. :D
All achievements are worth celebrating!
Spork! wrote:Today, only about 5 weeks after that first 4k ride, I managed 25 k's!
Awesome 8)

I used to think 100km was a long ride, then I thought 200km was a long ride. Now I can manage 200km but 300km is still a long ride. It's just a matter of building up and celebrating every milestone. Of course, I have never smoked, so it was a lot easier for me. Building up your fitness after smoking for so long is admirable and inspirational. You are the poster child for "If I can do it, anyone can!". Keep up the good riding. You will be at 30km before you know it.
^^^ What casual_cyclist said. I was in a similar position almost 4 years ago, after a few too many years of really unhealthy lifestyle. All I could ride initially was about 30-40km on a reasonably flat course, but now I've gone and signed up for the ACE250 :shock: . It may take years to build up to that, but trust me it will happen if you just keep pushing your limits a tiny bit further each month and year :) .

shann

Postby shann » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:32 pm

My longest ever ride today, just over 70km solo, and my first ever ride in proper nicks. Geez it makes a difference, I really had no idea I could love padded pants so much. <3 <3

juggs

Postby juggs » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:07 pm

I bought a giant defy 3 weeks ago and couldnt work out why i was faster on my mtb
I bought a pump today and realised i only had 40psi in the road bike tyres

thats got to be some sort of milestone ?

i did my first 40k ride this afternoon at 24k/h average and feel like my legs are dead
ive got a long way to go

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:18 am

Been riding a single speed since the start of the year (biggest ride was 40km).
Bought my first road bike 2 weeks ago (milestone 1). Did my biggest ride yet (90km), the other day.

Looking to do 100kms soon.

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:51 am

I'll be happy when I can get up Mt Panorama.

Had a crack at it a few months back, got halfway up and had to stop.

Feeling a lot fitter now, but I'm not riding a compact any more. I should be able to do it looking at Strava's profile.