tape on moulded carbon bars

steellife

tape on moulded carbon bars

Postby steellife » Wed May 14, 2008 12:55 am

Hi all, has anyone experience in putting tape on carbon road bars?

I bought a mate some beautiful carbon road bars for his 40th. They have moulded finger grooves on the flats for grip and his question is, how should these bars be taped / what kind of tape, so as not to lose the contouring of the bars, especially features such as the finger grooves?

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Wed May 14, 2008 7:09 am

I got FSA K wing bars, and I leave the flat parts untaped.

I currently got them on my BMC SLT01, check out my thread there.

mountainman403

Postby mountainman403 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:21 am

x2 I also have left the flat section nude.
Wilier
Dura Ace
Topolino
7.2kg
Walk a mile in my shoes and you will probably get blisters with these DAMB cleats.

steellife

Postby steellife » Wed May 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks guys - makes a lot of sense.
Will pass on the advice.

Cheers
Julien

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu May 15, 2008 9:38 pm

Dont they get slippery without any taping, or are you not spending that long on the tops? I just put a set of ITM wing bars on my roadie, and taped them all the way along to the centre. Will get a chance to test them this weekend.

Jim

KnightRider

Postby KnightRider » Fri May 16, 2008 7:30 am

I taped my carbon bars all the way up too. I think it looks good, although you can't see the carbon any more. I can't post any pictures yet (under 10 posts), but I'm sure other members here could, to show you what theirs look like.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri May 16, 2008 9:30 pm

I haven't got the tops tapes. I don't find them slippery at all - but always wear gloves, never ride in the rain, and am not a sweaty girl. Perhaps some would be affected by the slip factor.

I prefer the non-taped look now that I am used to it.

mountainman403

Postby mountainman403 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:11 pm

I dont hold the bars at the top ever and yes I like the carbon look.
I also wear gloves and the funny thing is Im not a sweaty girl either :lol:
MM
Wilier
Dura Ace
Topolino
7.2kg
Walk a mile in my shoes and you will probably get blisters with these DAMB cleats.

531db

Postby 531db » Fri May 16, 2008 10:25 pm

moosterbounce wrote:....not a sweaty girl. Perhaps some would be affected by the slip factor.
Ah yes, Gentlemen Perspire and Ladies Glow :D

steellife

Postby steellife » Sat May 17, 2008 1:29 pm

Okay, thanks for all the experiences and ideas, now for the next related question...
...mounting the lights and computer.
I have seen bolt on / screw on mounts that look like a short section of bar tube that sits ahead of your bars to mount "extras" onto.
Has anyone any recommendations for a particular type or source for light and computer mounting points for bars which are not round?

Ta
Julien

brakepad

Postby brakepad » Sat May 17, 2008 4:47 pm

My bike came with carbon aero bars, and the centres of the bar have not been taped up. The taping would be about the same as others have described it.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what does everybody do about a bell and reflectors......do they make the mounts in an oversize to go on the aero bars.

I was stopped once by the police and they walked around my flat bar bike checking to see if I had all the bits installed. I know if you have a light on the front a reflector is not needed.....but I am sure you need a bell.

KnightRider

Postby KnightRider » Sat May 17, 2008 4:49 pm

Has anyone any recommendations for a particular type or source for light and computer mounting points for bars which are not round?
Ayup lights fit, but they are expensive. I'm still unable to post links or pics, but if you go to the ayup website and click on mounting, you might get some ideas.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Julien, I think Cateye and TranzX do what you're after, IIRC Kalgrm and Hotdog both use similar devices on their 'bents.

Brakepad, the law requires an "audible warning device", not necessarily the insipid tinklers that peds are programmed to ignore. I'm a fan of a big "OY!" or "Excuse me" depending on the situation, tho' the Airzounds does look cool...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011