Tool List and Spares

wqlava1

Re: Tool List and Spares

Postby wqlava1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Not sure about your reference to a chain whip. I haven't mentioned taking one and I don't believe anyone else has either or I missed the reference. Are you referring to the J.A. Stein Mini Cassette Lock? It weighs in at a 31 grams. If you have a smarter solution for removing broken drive side spokes then I am all ears or should that be eyes?
I have a Unior 1659 which is indeed smaller and lighter. it's about 3/4 the way down this page:

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-029/index.html

I bought a few from somewhere in the US about 3 years back. I sold one to a mate at work and haven't seen the others since we shifted house recently. By the way, Unior make great quality bike tools in general, in amongst a much wider range. A bit more solidly built than Park if you ever have the option.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:08 am

How about taking a spare quick release for your Extrawheel ... for riding fast in pea gravel? I've learnt to take a spare EVS QR for when I can't slow down.

The Extrawheel nuts are vulnerable in a stack. I bent one back, once. It didn't bend much or damage the dropout but it did bend. Of course it didn't bend on the quick release side but the side that had to be pulled through. If it had bent 1° more, I would have had to cut the spindle, to remove it. When the quick release bent the thread was damaged so I couldn't tighten the quick release adequately and a few days later I was crossing the Naas River, the river was up, the rear wheel fell off halfway across ... I hope you wanted to know that?

I bought two extra quick releases for the Extrawheel trailer a couple of weeks ago. They arrived within two days of placing the order with Buff. Buff are first class to deal with, no doubt you've already found.

If you still have topo maps to order from Sydney? Do allow plenty of time, I'm finding. Ordering maps from Sydney is the bane of my life. Waiting, waiting, I'm always waiting or delaying trips while topo maps aren't arriving. The first map I ordered took 16 weeks to come, the last map that I ordered is now 3 weeks overdue.

I ordered some lighting stuff from the UK which took 6 days, extra batteries for my camera from Hong Kong took 4 days, the 2 QRs from Buff in SQld only 2 days, a Sierra saw from Blue Moon Cairns in FNQ took only 3 days ... but the 2 f'n topo maps ordered from Sydney have now taken 19 weeks in total with one of the maps still to come. It is all go-go-go in the Big Smoke nowadays, obviously. They're far too busy in Sydney to post maps. I'm hoping that the Great Divide will have lost some serious height by the time the second map arrives, if it arrives. Maybe I should drive to Sydney to see if the missing map is stuck in the M5 tunnel ... everything and everyone gets stuck in there, at some stage.

It is the first day of Spring today, nice. It is warming up already, here in the SE ... it was a balmy 2.5°C max (with chill factor) yesterday and -7°C last night. My digital thermometer only goes to -7°C thank goodness otherwise it cold have been colder. Snow fell on the Brindies all day yesterday and looked très cool. Very good weather for waiting for maps.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Hey thats crazy.
I ordered a 35mm 1.8 Nikkor lens from DWI on 29th Aug from DWI in Hong Kong.
Arrived safely today.
Shame they dont offer your maps.......
WarrenH wrote:Snow fell on the Brindies all day yesterday and looked très cool. Very good weather for waiting for maps.
Warren.
Pics or it didnt happen.... :D
(only because I enjoy your pics so much :mrgreen: )
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:09 am

rifraf wrote:Pics or it didnt happen.... :D
G'day Rif. Enjoy your new lens. Prime lenses have very good quality.

I see why people buy stuff from overseas, basically everything that's ordered is on the first shipment possible, where as here in OZ we get, "We only do our orders on Mondays." and "We'll be putting a big order in at the end of the month."

One of the reasons why I bought the Extrawheel was because I was sick of waiting for BOB Trailer parts. When the order finally arrived half of the order was missing and the promised phone call from Sydney to say the BOB parts had arrived, didn't happen.

Where as Buff Australia, the distributor of the Extrawheel Voyager Solo, I can't recommend them, too highly. Buff are a great company to deal with. Unlike how I've found a Bob distributor.

"Pictures or it did happen", you reckon? I used to get that request on MTBR, that is why I take my camera everywhere riding nowadays. Well yesterday, September 1, the first day of Spring, was the coldest Spring day on record here in the ACT, from about 1902, when records were first kept.

Yesterday I used full-fingered gloves, that I've had for years and go on every tour into the mountains and I'd not used them ever, until yesterday. I went through Woodstock Nature Reserve in the NW of the ACT down to the Murrumbidgee River to see the ice trees burning. Native Black Pines sheathed in ice.

This was the view that greeted me as I turned into Woodstock to head down to the river ... there is a sizable river under that fluffy stuff.

The next too shots were shot last Autumn. Normally the track down the hill looks like this. The track is closed to public vehicles. The track can be seen in places on the ridge of the main spur in the foreground. It is cool going down to the river but a gut buster coming back up.

I hope this helps.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.