The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

ColinOldnCranky

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:02 am

bychosis wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Was it really necessary to overtake and save a few seconds when you almost collided with a ped... Got a nice facial shot afterwards as well :)
maybe unnecessary, but it didn't look to bad to me. The pedestrian didn't seem to flinch. I would hazard also a fairly common situation in my PSP experience. It is often easier to accelerate a little than to slow and wait.
It is something that I experience a couple of times every morning - cyclists from behind threading dangerously closely at speed between me and oncoming cyclists. I no longer flinch either as I have become conditioned to it. Peds are no different.

In the video I would interpret the distance between Baalzamon and the cyclist when cutting in to be significantly less than appearance due to the short-focal-length of the camera.*** By the same token, the speed of the cyclist is not as great as it appears.

That guy cut it fine. if he does it every day, then inevitably someone will be injured.

***See Baalzamon's thread "How to dismount a unicycle" where I appear to be fairly sprinting away from him from the same effect.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:05 am

Something that's irritating me lately: The Goodwill foot bridge between QUT and Southbank is half closed with signs directing cyclists to dismount; perhaps 10% get off their bikes, the rest try to weave their way through. Is reading and following instructions so hard? It's not like it's very far to walk. :?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:52 am

Oxford wrote:cue roadies complaining about footwear this, footwear that, etc.
Isn't the answer "use another bridge"

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:57 am

jasonc wrote:
Oxford wrote:cue roadies complaining about footwear this, footwear that, etc.
Isn't the answer "use another bridge"
Gotta build one first :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:23 am

MikeyD360 wrote:
blkmcs wrote:Or we could just slow down and take care when we see a dog on the shared path.
This is the problem right here.
We ride on the roads and drivers tell us we are a danger to ourselves and should ride on the footpath/PSPs.
We ride on PSPs and are a danger to dogs and pedestrians.
We are left with the only "acceptable" method of cycling being recreational pottering at a lowly 10km/h along a PSP on our mountain bikes with reflective vests, mirrors hanging off our bars and helmets, whilst watching the birds and whistling tunes from Mary Poppins.

I personally ride for fitness, and also to get from A-B in place of a car. Therefore moseying along a shared path slowing down for every Tom, Dick and "Rover" is not suitable as I need to be able to travel at 35-40km/h for it to be worthwhile/enjoyable.

Thats precisely why the whole idea of creating PSPs everywhere is not the answer to safer cycling infrastructure as this only suits one section of the cycling community.
good post, I liked the Mary Poppins analogy :lol:
PSPs are a no go zone for me for that reason. No dedicated cycleways where I live. I think I would get very annoyed with pedestrians on them if there were.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Carriage

Postby Carriage » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:27 am

How do you guys respond to the argument that the reason we don't like to ride on shared paths is because it limits our speed, is the same reason drivers don't like us on roads?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 am

Carriage wrote:How do you guys respond to the argument that the reason we don't like to ride on shared paths is because it limits our speed, is the same reason drivers don't like us on roads?
if a motorist suggests i ride on a shared bike path instead of the road, i suggest they take the bus instead of drive their car.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:33 am

Carriage wrote:How do you guys respond to the argument that the reason we don't like to ride on shared paths is because it limits our speed, is the same reason drivers don't like us on roads?
don't see it as an argument at all. Some drivers see us as having no right to be on the road which is clearly wrong.
If you want to travel at speed shared paths are best avoided, simple statement of fact.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:39 am

warthog1 wrote:
MikeyD360 wrote:
blkmcs wrote:Or we could just slow down and take care when we see a dog on the shared path.
We ride on the roads and drivers tell us we are a danger to ourselves and should ride on the footpath/PSPs.
We are left with the only "acceptable" method of cycling being recreational pottering at a lowly 10km/h along a PSP on our mountain bikes with reflective vests, mirrors hanging off our bars and helmets, whilst watching the birds and whistling tunes from Mary Poppins.

I personally ride for fitness, and also to get from A-B in place of a car. Therefore moseying along a shared path slowing down for every Tom, Dick and "Rover" is not suitable as I need to be able to travel at 35-40km/h for it to be worthwhile/enjoyable.

Thats precisely why the whole idea of creating PSPs everywhere is not the answer to safer cycling infrastructure as this only suits one section of the cycling community.
PSPs are a no go zone for me for that reason. No dedicated cycleways where I live. I think I would get very annoyed with pedestrians on them if there were.
Perhaps we should potter along at 10km/h and it might get rid of that "lycra loonie" image that the media, shock jocks and car drivers love to portray.

As for me, no thanks - I prefer to go between 30-45km/h or faster if it's safe to do so on wide pedestrian/bike shared use roads (a closed off service road). If pedestrians are about I'll go slower - but very fortunately there are relatively few of them in my area. Most people prefer to use their big SUV for a quick 500m trip to the shops or anywhere else. :wink:

The real solution is to build bicycle "highways" as they are doing in Copenhagen which are dedicated to bicycles only and aimed at the serious commuter cyclists who need to go somewhere on their bicycle quickly. They are even setting the traffic lights up so that if you keep to a certain speed, you'll get green lights everywhere. They reckon it will save $60,000,000 from the health budget because people will become much more healthy.

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:58 am

warthog1 wrote:
MikeyD360 wrote:

I'm the same.

I've had two run ins with pedestrians this weekend on a local shared cycle/footpath. The entire length of the shared path is actually signposted as part of the 'NSW Coastal Cycle Trail' and is used by cyclist nearly non-stop - it would not be uncommon to pass a dozen other cyclists every few kms.

I usually stick to the road, but my missus has recently acquired a road bike (after being injured running, its a non-impact way for her to get her exercise). She can ride the MTB fine, but is getting used to the new cleats/shoes, gears, brakes, seat etc. So we are dawdling along the cycle path at all of about 10km/h - we are in no rush...

I come up behind some pedestrians, walking in the middle of the path, I'm travelling at barely walking pace - as in, I am barely keeping enough momentum to stay upright...I politely cycle up to them and say 'excuse me there' - all I want them to to is shuffle over a bit, my main interest is so my wife can pass safely.... I am ready to follow up with a 'lovely morning'...but get stopped in my tracks by the fools complaining about how 'us cyclists' are dangerous....

Seriously, its not like I bolted past at 35km/h - like I said I'm barely moving (literally, the average speed for our ride from the Garmin was 12km/h) .... some people just astound me.....

skull

Postby skull » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:59 am

Good luck getting to speeds of 30+ on the Copenhagen bike hwy.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am

AndyTheMan wrote:Seriously, its not like I bolted past at 35km/h - like I said I'm barely moving (literally, the average speed for our ride from the Garmin was 12km/h) .... some people just astound me.....
really? you need to get out more :mrgreen:

i had a woman go postal on me after i passed her at a leisurely pace. some people are just nuts, or selfish.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am

jules21 wrote:
if a motorist suggests i ride on a shared bike path instead of the road, i suggest they take the bus instead of drive their car.
*Presses "LIKE" button* :mrgreen:

Gonna use that, thanks Jules.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:48 am

jules21 wrote:
AndyTheMan wrote:Seriously, its not like I bolted past at 35km/h - like I said I'm barely moving (literally, the average speed for our ride from the Garmin was 12km/h) .... some people just astound me.....
really? you need to get out more :mrgreen:

i had a woman go postal on me after i passed her at a leisurely pace. some people are just nuts, or selfish.
We aren't supposed to be on the "shared paths", we aren't supposed to be on the roads, where should we be? For shared use paths, some pedestrians sure don't like to share do they? I try to set the right example by being careful and keeping to my side...

Witness the one reckoning "his bike broke down" for the reason I stopped and dismounted (that was what she explained to the little kid).

Wouldn't have been anything to do with the her group straying all over the path and leaving me no option but to stop and dismount or fall over. :roll: Would have been better to take the child by the hand and pull him over out of the way.

And it was hardly like I was going too fast, I'd just gone up a climb and wasn't in any position to go fast anyhow - my legs were tired. :oops:

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:35 pm

Whilst I'm here I had better complain about the CYCLIST who did fly past 6 inches from my elbow whilst I was out running yesterday..

Again on a shared path, its about 2m or maybe 2.5m wide.

I'm 10kms into a 20km training run. I have headphones in, so don't hear bikes approaching unless they call out. As such I maintain safety (and courtesy) to everyone by sticking firmly to the very left 50cms of the track - leaving a good 2 metres for people to pass.

I'm jogging along, in my own world - and some nutter on a roadie passes me doing approx 25-30km/h (the path is long and flat and straight, would be easy to sit at above 30 odd clicks for around 10kms) - was literally within a few inches of me....WHY??? Why when you have another 2 metres of track, all bitumen sealed, smooth as a babies bum, with 100 metres of visbility would you pass someone so close at that speed - i mean, even if I had put my hand in my pocket to pull out a gel I would have perhaps collected him as he passed....

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Bet the same guy would be the first to complain when cars shave him on the road.

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:39 pm

herzog wrote:Bet the same guy would be the first to complain when cars shave him on the road.
Exactly what I thought as he swished past me...

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:05 pm

wizardhat wrote:Something that's irritating me lately: The Goodwill foot bridge between QUT and Southbank is half closed with signs directing cyclists to dismount; perhaps 10% get off their bikes, the rest try to weave their way through. Is reading and following instructions so hard? It's not like it's very far to walk. :?
I'm trying to avoid the GB at the moment, it's bad enough when the whole bridge is open trying to ride across it in the afternoon peak.
I had hoped that they were going to separate the bridge into separate ped's and cyclists sides, but it's not to be :roll:
Lisa

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:35 pm

That bridge was and always will be a mess trying to cross it on a bike haha. I went for a quick ride today. Had a few interesting moments like the guy blocking the whole pathway while his dog sniffed the phone pole while he threw a plastic bag into the bush.

Got onto the Boondall-Toombul cycleway and was up on my previous best going past the driving range so I pushed the final half only to come across a silly silly woman at the end that decided to come out from behind the bushes (its a random unofficial dirt pathway to access Nudgee Road) and merged straight across onto the shared pathway/cycleway without looking while I was doing a tad over 45kph. I didn't have to much of a problem with the incident as I had plenty of time to react, change my line and knocked off 18kph but still, to go down a hill out of sight behind bushes/overpass, dordling by not pedalling at all and merge onto a section of cyclepath that cyclists frequently push the speeds along is just plain stupid. The speed difference was enough that I still overtook her at the apex just past the signs on the left.

Reman

Postby Reman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Toolboxes (as usual) dawdling through the red lights tonight on Union St, were upstaged by Mr AeroBars man heading through at 30+kph :shock:

When I caught up and enquired about his death wish he said it was all ok as everyone else was going through The red lights (aforementioned toolboxes at about 5kph). I farewelled him by reminding him that it's not my life and off he zoomed down Miller St on his AeroBars :roll:

Horizontal c

Postby Horizontal c » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 am

Nevermind

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:59 am

jules21 wrote:if you were the rider who almost hit me head on this morning on the capital city trail near dight's falls, sir, please take a moment to sit back and think about your riding and more specifically, your approach to riding safely. flying around a blind bend so fast that you had to drift onto the wrong side of the path, then desperately locking your rear brakes up with arms and legs flailing about, i must say i was impressed you didn't crash (into me).

now, i dare say you learned your lesson, but the thing is - i've noticed that a lot of riders do exactly the same thing. in fact, the rider ahead of you did. your problem was that i/you arrived at the wrong moment. i knew this day was coming and ring my bell, keep a modest speed, but really - i can't do much when someone flies around at that speed. so for everyone who rides that path, please take it easy around that corner.

seriously, this is starting to get me worried now. this is not a near collision, but it would have been if i was further up the path when mr.-i-need-the-whole-track rounded the corner.

zero

Postby zero » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:08 pm

The lance was invented for just such scenarios :)

Not having a go at you, but that rider was avoiding the patch at the apex. He is largely upright and not travelling that fast.

On my first ride through there, I'd probably have done similar (ie until I knew what it was). He also is travelling at a speed where if he was required to hold his line he would have done so, and also the vision is not terrible, its just poor. Given the relative speeds of both riders, had you been arriving at the apex when he was, he would have seen you in sufficient time and not taken the course he did.

I can see that riders could enter that area too fast, but that rider isn't doing it.

Horizontal c

Postby Horizontal c » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:34 pm

zero wrote:The lance was invented for just such scenarios :)
What? Please explain

Oxford wrote:sometimes you just misjudge the corner. happened plenty of times where I know the corner, but somehow just fudge it. he may have already looked through the corner and known there was nothing oncoming as well.
So you are saying that you are not perfect and sometimes you mess up?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:57 pm

Horizontal c wrote:
zero wrote:The lance was invented for just such scenarios :)
What? Please explain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance