The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby AndyTheMan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:39 pm

herzog wrote:Bet the same guy would be the first to complain when cars shave him on the road.


Exactly what I thought as he swished past me...
AndyTheMan
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 am

by BNA » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:05 pm

BNA
 

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby marinmomma » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:05 pm

wizardhat wrote:Something that's irritating me lately: The Goodwill foot bridge between QUT and Southbank is half closed with signs directing cyclists to dismount; perhaps 10% get off their bikes, the rest try to weave their way through. Is reading and following instructions so hard? It's not like it's very far to walk. :?


I'm trying to avoid the GB at the moment, it's bad enough when the whole bridge is open trying to ride across it in the afternoon peak.
I had hoped that they were going to separate the bridge into separate ped's and cyclists sides, but it's not to be :roll:
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 2001
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:35 pm

That bridge was and always will be a mess trying to cross it on a bike haha. I went for a quick ride today. Had a few interesting moments like the guy blocking the whole pathway while his dog sniffed the phone pole while he threw a plastic bag into the bush.
Image

Got onto the Boondall-Toombul cycleway and was up on my previous best going past the driving range so I pushed the final half only to come across a silly silly woman at the end that decided to come out from behind the bushes (its a random unofficial dirt pathway to access Nudgee Road) and merged straight across onto the shared pathway/cycleway without looking while I was doing a tad over 45kph. I didn't have to much of a problem with the incident as I had plenty of time to react, change my line and knocked off 18kph but still, to go down a hill out of sight behind bushes/overpass, dordling by not pedalling at all and merge onto a section of cyclepath that cyclists frequently push the speeds along is just plain stupid. The speed difference was enough that I still overtook her at the apex just past the signs on the left.
Image
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Reman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Toolboxes (as usual) dawdling through the red lights tonight on Union St, were upstaged by Mr AeroBars man heading through at 30+kph :shock:

When I caught up and enquired about his death wish he said it was all ok as everyone else was going through The red lights (aforementioned toolboxes at about 5kph). I farewelled him by reminding him that it's not my life and off he zoomed down Miller St on his AeroBars :roll:
Reman
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Inner West, Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Horizontal c » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 am

Nevermind
Horizontal c
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:59 am

jules21 wrote:if you were the rider who almost hit me head on this morning on the capital city trail near dight's falls, sir, please take a moment to sit back and think about your riding and more specifically, your approach to riding safely. flying around a blind bend so fast that you had to drift onto the wrong side of the path, then desperately locking your rear brakes up with arms and legs flailing about, i must say i was impressed you didn't crash (into me).

now, i dare say you learned your lesson, but the thing is - i've noticed that a lot of riders do exactly the same thing. in fact, the rider ahead of you did. your problem was that i/you arrived at the wrong moment. i knew this day was coming and ring my bell, keep a modest speed, but really - i can't do much when someone flies around at that speed. so for everyone who rides that path, please take it easy around that corner.

Image

seriously, this is starting to get me worried now. this is not a near collision, but it would have been if i was further up the path when mr.-i-need-the-whole-track rounded the corner.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8796
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby zero » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:08 pm

The lance was invented for just such scenarios :)

Not having a go at you, but that rider was avoiding the patch at the apex. He is largely upright and not travelling that fast.

On my first ride through there, I'd probably have done similar (ie until I knew what it was). He also is travelling at a speed where if he was required to hold his line he would have done so, and also the vision is not terrible, its just poor. Given the relative speeds of both riders, had you been arriving at the apex when he was, he would have seen you in sufficient time and not taken the course he did.

I can see that riders could enter that area too fast, but that rider isn't doing it.
zero
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Oxford » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:21 pm

sometimes you just misjudge the corner. happened plenty of times where I know the corner, but somehow just fudge it. he may have already looked through the corner and known there was nothing oncoming as well.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 5150
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Horizontal c » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:34 pm

zero wrote:The lance was invented for just such scenarios :)


What? Please explain


Oxford wrote:sometimes you just misjudge the corner. happened plenty of times where I know the corner, but somehow just fudge it. he may have already looked through the corner and known there was nothing oncoming as well.


So you are saying that you are not perfect and sometimes you mess up?
Horizontal c
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:57 pm

Horizontal c wrote:
zero wrote:The lance was invented for just such scenarios :)


What? Please explain


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6111
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby zero » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Horizontal c wrote:
What? Please explain



How ironic it is, that a troll is attempting to inject himself into a conversation regarding footage shot under a bridge. Also I find it rather ironic that a troll here for the purposes of self-amusement, cannot detect a tongue in cheek statement.
zero
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:08 pm

zero wrote: Not having a go at you, but that rider was avoiding the patch at the apex. He is largely upright and not travelling that fast.

that's OK - i'm not sensitive. but the video does not allow an accurate perception of his speed - i distinctly recall it being faster than it looks. he may have slowed down a bit once he straightened up. if you look at it carefully, he is cranked over as he comes through the bend - he can only pull back into his lane after he straightens up. it is sheer luck as to where he encounters the oncoming rider (me) as it is a blind corner. what he did is very dangerous.

zero wrote: Given the relative speeds of both riders, had you been arriving at the apex when he was, he would have seen you in sufficient time and not taken the course he did.

I can see that riders could enter that area too fast, but that rider isn't doing it.

i have to disagree there. he was doing at least 30 km/h - again, i was surprised at how sedate it looked after viewing the video. i also come from the other direction in the evening and know that you commit yourself to a line through the corner. he can't tighten up at that speed. it is also essentially a blind corner and you can't see what's coming around. there is genuine prospect of a head on collision there, and as per my earlier post (quoted above) another guy who executed a similar movement to this fellow got all crossed up on the brakes and so very nearly crashed - he certainly wasn't able to safely tighten his line. my concern is that it's only a matter of time before this scenario plays out with me closer to the elbow bend and with less time for the oncoming rider to react - i'm certain it will result in a crash.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8796
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby herzog » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Must say it looks pretty benign in the video.
User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby blkmcs » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:13 pm

jules21 wrote:
zero wrote: Not having a go at you, but that rider was avoiding the patch at the apex. He is largely upright and not travelling that fast.

that's OK - i'm not sensitive. but the video does not allow an accurate perception of his speed - i distinctly recall it being faster than it looks. he may have slowed down a bit once he straightened up. if you look at it carefully, he is cranked over as he comes through the bend - he can only pull back into his lane after he straightens up. it is sheer luck as to where he encounters the oncoming rider (me) as it is a blind corner. what he did is very dangerous.

zero wrote: Given the relative speeds of both riders, had you been arriving at the apex when he was, he would have seen you in sufficient time and not taken the course he did.

I can see that riders could enter that area too fast, but that rider isn't doing it.

i have to disagree there. he was doing at least 30 km/h - again, i was surprised at how sedate it looked after viewing the video. i also come from the other direction in the evening and know that you commit yourself to a line through the corner. he can't tighten up at that speed. it is also essentially a blind corner and you can't see what's coming around. there is genuine prospect of a head on collision there, and as per my earlier post (quoted above) another guy who executed a similar movement to this fellow got all crossed up on the brakes and so very nearly crashed - he certainly wasn't able to safely tighten his line. my concern is that it's only a matter of time before this scenario plays out with me closer to the elbow bend and with less time for the oncoming rider to react - i'm certain it will result in a crash.

You should know by now Jules that people who were not involved in an incident always have more knowledge of it than those who were there.
Too old to live, too slow to die.
User avatar
blkmcs
 
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:44 pm
Location: Bayswater, WA

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:15 pm

blkmcs wrote:You should know by now Jules that people who were not involved in an incident always have more knowledge of it than those who were there.

i actually agree the video looks benign, but i can assure it's not in reality. i clench my butt cheeks approaching that corner now!
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8796
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Horizontal c » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:06 pm

jasonc wrote:
Horizontal c wrote:
zero wrote:The lance was invented for just such scenarios :)


What? Please explain


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance


So you use that to hurt other road users?
Horizontal c
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby zero » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:17 pm

blkmcs wrote:
jules21 wrote:i have to disagree there. he was doing at least 30 km/h - again, i was surprised at how sedate it looked after viewing the video. i also come from the other direction in the evening and know that you commit yourself to a line through the corner. he can't tighten up at that speed. it is also essentially a blind corner and you can't see what's coming around. there is genuine prospect of a head on collision there, and as per my earlier post (quoted above) another guy who executed a similar movement to this fellow got all crossed up on the brakes and so very nearly crashed - he certainly wasn't able to safely tighten his line. my concern is that it's only a matter of time before this scenario plays out with me closer to the elbow bend and with less time for the oncoming rider to react - i'm certain it will result in a crash.

You should know by now Jules that people who were not involved in an incident always have more knowledge of it than those who were there.


Its a discussion. I'm happy to accept Jules's advice that the focal length of the lens is reducing apparent speed - have not bothered to stick vids up that seemed dangerous at the time because they looked benign when I was using a similar lens. It also true that people work harder on holding lines when they see opposing traffic.

This location https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=anzac+bridge&hl=en&ll=-33.867815,151.181429&spn=0.000791,0.001105&sll=-33.796924,150.922433&sspn=1.6205,2.263184&t=h&hq=anzac+bridge&z=20 - has a similar example of a view restricted corner, where I routinely see cycles cross center line as I climb towards it, (as my journey often takes me against prevailing peak hour traffic flow I would see it most trips as there now ~400 cycles/hr through that area). Despite the fact that I always see one off line as I approach, and there are many adhoc fast descending drafting packs of an evening, none have struck me as I go through in the opposite direction.
zero
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby London Boy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:01 pm

zero wrote:
Horizontal c wrote:
What? Please explain



How ironic it is, that a troll is attempting to inject himself into a conversation regarding footage shot under a bridge. Also I find it rather ironic that a troll here for the purposes of self-amusement, cannot detect a tongue in cheek statement.

Please don't feed the trolls, if he/she/it is a troll. If not, probably not necessary to comment. Kind of thing?
User avatar
London Boy
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Livetoride » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:04 am

London Boy wrote:
zero wrote:
Horizontal c wrote:
What? Please explain



How ironic it is, that a troll is attempting to inject himself into a conversation regarding footage shot under a bridge. Also I find it rather ironic that a troll here for the purposes of self-amusement, cannot detect a tongue in cheek statement.

Please don't feed the trolls, if he/she/it is a troll. If not, probably not necessary to comment. Kind of thing?

+1 seriously guys, don't bite.
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:44 pm

This pathway must be for pedistrian access. If it was for cyclists only I'm sure they would put signs up and painted signs on the ground displaying this fact to the public.... :roll: :roll: (IIRC all the times I've had to use that path there has always been some numpty walking along it grr).
Image

Certainly was a day for incidents outside the RBWH. I was waiting at the first inbound pedestrian crossing on Gympie Road. A woman decided to cross the road against the red man. She got about a quarter of the way across and I notice the lights change to Green and cars making the right hand turn. She almost got half way and kept walking not even looking to see if any traffic was coming through. Just as I was about to yell at her to stop she looks up and sees the oncoming traffic; stops, and steps up onto the traffic island.
Image
Image
Image

Got to the 3rd intersection outside the hospital (which is literally a couple hundred metres up the road) only to stop at the lights. As I was waiting for the lightcycle to finish I saw the lights changing so I clipped in ready to go only to hear someone reving their engine. The okay to walk buzzer goes off and just as I look to my right to see who was reving their engine a 4WD came flying through the intersection before heavily breaking to stop in the middle of the intersection where traffic that had already ran the red light had back up. There are some serious fkn idiots out there that don't deserve to have a driving lisense.
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby wizardhat » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:This pathway must be for pedistrian access. If it was for cyclists only I'm sure they would put signs up and painted signs on the ground displaying this fact to the public.... :roll: :roll: (IIRC all the times I've had to use that path there has always been some numpty walking along it grr).
That path really really frustrates me, and it sucks even more across the road after the path as they walk along the bike path instead of the foot path. So I turn right down Dock St and left onto Stanley St just to avoid it.
Image
User avatar
wizardhat
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby tubby74 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Waiting at the bike/pedestrian signals at blaxland and vimera road in Eastwood on my bike, a guy in a wheelchair cruises straight past me and across the road without a look either way. Cars just taking off as the lights went green for them checking themselves to avoid hitting him.
tubby74
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby GraemeL » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:21 am

tubby74 wrote:Waiting at the bike/pedestrian signals at blaxland and vimera road in Eastwood on my bike, a guy in a wheelchair cruises straight past me and across the road without a look either way. Cars just taking off as the lights went green for them checking themselves to avoid hitting him.


I wonder what happened to put him in a wheelchair, maybe not looking when crossing the road?

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby DavidS » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:30 am

tubby74 wrote:Waiting at the bike/pedestrian signals at blaxland and vimera road in Eastwood on my bike, a guy in a wheelchair cruises straight past me and across the road without a look either way. Cars just taking off as the lights went green for them checking themselves to avoid hitting him.


They should be forced to register those things ;)

DS
Image

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
User avatar
DavidS
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby BLABBER » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:31 am

tubby74 wrote:Waiting at the bike/pedestrian signals at blaxland and vimera road in Eastwood on my bike, a guy in a wheelchair cruises straight past me and across the road without a look either way. Cars just taking off as the lights went green for them checking themselves to avoid hitting him.

What's a bike/pedestrian signal ?
BLABBER
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dimis, Dragster1, Google [Bot], Milar, thomashouseman



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit
cron