Fatality - outer East Melb today

malnar

Fatality - outer East Melb today

Postby malnar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Haven't seen a thread for this. Struck by car traveling in the same direction at 09:40am. Cloud-free day today. No idea if sun glare could be a factor. http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/highw ... 259g8.html

RIP

hannos

Re: Fatality - outer East Melb today

Postby hannos » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:51 pm

23 y.o female driver as far as the vicpol site is concerned.
At 9:40am I doubt sun glare would be a factor. Most likely texting...
2010 BMC SLC01

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Damn that's not good..............in my neck of the woods and often ride there.

My condolences to his family and friends. :cry:

Mongrel drivers..........whats wrong with people..........how hard is it just to take a little care. :x :x

Big Lance

Postby Big Lance » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:43 pm

And she will probably be lucky to get a slap on the wrist. Accidents happen sure, but the government needs to be held responsible for not providing safe cycling paths that are separated from the rode by more than a line. Everytime a new road is made in Switzerland( not sure of the country) they must also make a bike road separate. Simply having a designated bike lane defined by a white line is not good enough or safe enough, its disgusting how little care is given to life.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:35 am

Mate cars hit people in houses. Just how much protection do you want? Its not about the infrastructure particularly, although some would be nice. Its mostly about people looking. If just saying SMIDSY lost you your licence for a year that would make a hell of a difference.

k-duck

Postby k-duck » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:44 am

Not sure if I can agree with big Lance completely. True accidents rarely happen although incidents caused by lack of care, lack of skill, lack of concentration, lack of focus are very common and happen all the time usually resulting in a bent fender, broken tail light, dented tail gate etc. except where a pedestrian, cyclist or motorcyclist is involved then the result is much worse as in this tragic incident. I wonder if she'll escape any penalty because 'he swerved unexpectantly in front of me'. A defence that is all too common and hard to refute when the victim can't testify. I'll be looking out for the result of her court appearance, if she actually gets charged.

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:47 am

Percrime wrote:Mate cars hit people in houses. Just how much protection do you want? Its not about the infrastructure particularly, although some would be nice. Its mostly about people looking. If just saying SMIDSY lost you your licence for a year that would make a hell of a difference.
Make it five years and having to go back to Ls, then Ps etc.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:08 pm

Sorry, I posted here yesterday rather than starting a new thread which it rightly deserves:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 9&start=75 :(
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:33 pm

For me cycling is a hugely relaxing moment in the day and the last thing I could deal with is the stress of riding on the road. I wonder how much TAC will be fined which will be awarded to the family of the deceased in compensation. I wonder why there aren't more better quality bike paths through Melbourne. I went on the Eastlink trail to Carrum and I had to scratch my head whether I was on a bicycle path of an offroad mountain bike path.

The section just before Patterson lakes is terrible, a 4wd utility truck has been through there when it was wet and it has left huge imprints across the whole track (so they have driven the other way but instead of taking the same path they made new imprints).

That track is unbearable at the moment, i'm not sure why we are still riding around on gravel. My rant is over haha
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)