Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

ACT SC600

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby ACT SC600 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:14 pm

The Concorde showed up yesterday... Started putting it together (this will be the cheese and kisses bike)... When the 10sp 105 shows up the Tiagra will go on the Concorde..

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 am

pic didnt work...sooo here she is

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Need some advice from those in the know. I've got a fantasy about restoring an old roadie and this one has just come up:

Can anyone identify this and offer advice on whether it's worth giving a crack? No particular info given on mechs, brakes etc.

Cheers
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:21 pm

What year is the Concorde from the pic 2up ?
Also the red apollo looks like an apollo 2 with different brake levers, what year does the date stamp say ? If you like it, go for it. :o :o
Hmmmm could be a 3...... :roll:
When in doubt......mumble.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Kermit TF wrote:Also the red apollo looks like an apollo 2 with different brake levers
I reckon you might be right. I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's this one that was sold a couple of years ago.

It's running ukai 27inch rims, dia-compe brakes and shimano gears.

LG

Postby LG » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:45 pm

Hey - that's my driveway :lol: . If it is my old bike it should be a 58cm. I rode that to and from work for about 2 years, and vaguely remember selling it to a bloke from Lonnie.

Edit: sorry I should have given some details earlier. This bike is an apollo II. It is plain guage hi tensile steel, so not a lightweight, but strong as and should last pertty much forever. From memory this is acutally a kuwahara built bike labelled as apollo. If you are looking for a round town bike, this would certainly be a nice option, but not something I'd build up for longer distance riding.
LG = Low Gear

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:25 pm

LG wrote:Hey - that's my driveway :lol: . If it is my old bike it should be a 58cm. I rode that to and from work for about 2 years, and vaguely remember selling it to a bloke from Lonnie.
I reckon it's the one, apparently it's a 58cm so sounds likely. Typical Tassie, takes all of a day to find out the source!

Thanks for the info, I think I'll give it a miss as I'm after something I can put a few miles on, rather than just a pub bike.

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:33 pm

Here's mine. Apollo IV (don't know the year) by Kuwahara. When I bought this last year it was fully equipped with 600 Arabesque, but I moved that stuff and set it up as a SS townie. Now I have the Arabesque in a box again and I'm thinking of putting it back on.
I originally picked it up off ebay just for the group, before then I really knew nothing about higher end Apollo's. I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived to see it was made with nice steel (my guess is Tange ~2) and quality components including cast Shimano drop outs. I love this bike.

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Kermit TF wrote:What year is the Concorde from the pic 2up ?
how do I find that out???? do they have a serial on the BB

cheers Chris

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Dow Jones Index wrote:Here's mine. Apollo IV (don't know the year) by Kuwahara. When I bought this last year it was fully equipped with 600 Arabesque, but I moved that stuff and set it up as a SS townie. Now I have the Arabesque in a box again and I'm thinking of putting it back on.
I originally picked it up off ebay just for the group, before then I really knew nothing about higher end Apollo's. I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived to see it was made with nice steel (my guess is Tange ~2) and quality components including cast Shimano drop outs. I love this bike.

Yes, please put the 600 gear back on, pleeeease ! The "IV" is to precious not to be brought back to some sorta former glory. :P

Act600....its stamped on the seat tube frame , at roughly the height of he chainwheel....left side.
Chris....
When in doubt......mumble.

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Only serial I can find is on the bb j96071239

Carriage

Postby Carriage » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:38 pm

So I picked this up from a mate's shed. It's got a decent amount of rust and I think it's too big for me. That seat height to the pedal is the same as my other bike. However, the top tube height at the head tube seems the same as my other bike which seems ok. I can't actually stand over the top tube. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it as I think it's going to take more money than I want to to get it going again. Probably not much compared to most riders, but my other bike is a $250 Reid. Also, I believe that jaguars aren't that good a frame. It feels heavier than my Reid in any case

Carriage

Postby Carriage » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:47 pm

So I decided that it being too large for me and not being anything worth salvaging, I didn't want to spend the money on getting it rolling again. It's currently available for the lowest bidder on my nature strip

munga

Postby munga » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:15 pm

fair call, mate. good bike if you have a need for it, but perhaps not worth the time and effort at the end of the day.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:57 pm

For longer limbed Apollophiles in Melb - There's a nice looking Apollo '3.5' (specced between III and IV) with a full Shimano Golden Arrow groupset on eBay at the moment, looks to be completely original and kitted out for light touring or commuting. Not associated with the seller, I was considering a bid but I've enough projects going as it is...
eBay Apollo 3.5

sonic

Postby sonic » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:30 am

Have an Apollo Toledo free to good home (*bottle of charddy perhaps) needing some love - if anyones interested. Located in Southbank (Vic) Can't post a photo yet.

BurtO

Postby BurtO » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Hey guys, I finished a rebuild on my Apollo IV . Its a beautiful thing and rides like a dream, triple butted Kuwahara CroMo tubes and I've stuck a chrome Tange front fork on for a bit of bling (I like shiny things!).
I took it to Adelaide and did Amys ride, 65kms leg, and apart from being one of only a handful of steel bikes on the ride she preformed brilliantly.
Even though I had just bought a new Fondriest TF3 a couple of weeks prior I was so happy I chose to take the Apollo, with 25c tyres and that comfy frame it made the ride (my first group ride and my longest to date!) an absolute pleasure.
Even going up those things we don't have around here, what are they called again..oh that's it, HILL'S!, she made them seem flatter.
It makes the choice hard between the two bikes when I go for rides now as I have such a soft spot for the Apollo, dont get me wrong as the Fondriest is an absolute weapon and I am looking forward to joining the local club, but the Apollo is like a Bentley Continental to the Fondriest's Ferrari F40 persona.
In my opinion Apollo's are are a very underrated bike, I love mine!
ImageImage

redrover3

Postby redrover3 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Is the Apollo iv really triple butted? I couldn't find that on the decal but would be keen to confirm.
Tony

BurtO

Postby BurtO » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Yes , Ive just rechecked and it does say triple butted on the sticker.
Cheers

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Very nice BurtO,

after spending my teenage years rolling around on an Apollo II, I've always wanted a IV

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi Burt O
Re Your post by BurtO » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:29 am
"I finished a rebuild on my Apollo IV"
=>> It looks very neat in the photo. What year is your Apollo IV?

I was expecting to see the "Riveted on metal Apollo Badge" on the head tube, the Drilled Sugino GT Chain Rings and the down tube shifters siting on top of the down tube rather than mounted with a thru frame bolt?
Kinda like....
Recently sold
1984 Apollo IV

Rob
Last edited by Rob74 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BurtO

Postby BurtO » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Havent thought to look for a year, but you got me thinking and after an exhaustive search I found the serial No , what I could see was 09 86 435 , so an 86 model maybe? Anyway its got Sugino GLP cranks and Suntour Cyclone derailleurs so dont know where they fit in the scheme of things.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:49 pm

The cranks and derailleurs could certainly be original equipment, i'd check the date codes and see if they confirm your suspicion of 86.

In case you don't already know it, this website is great for dating components.
http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

redrover3

Postby redrover3 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Yes , Ive just rechecked and it does say triple butted on the sticker.
Cheers
Thanks for checking that. Nice bike btw.
Tony

jools

Postby jools » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:09 pm

I picked up an Apollo IV about 2 years ago, it's got the full Shimano 600 Arabesque groupset and is superb to ride! The paintwork is pretty dodgy - rattle can job, no shine and I can see the original black paint underneath. Somewhere down the track I'll give it the full resto but for the moment I'm just enjoying it as is.

I can't find a serial number on it though - maybe the dodgy paint job has covered it up - so I can't tell how old it is..