CPF wrote:The Cycling Promotion Fund has joined with the ACT Government and Pedal Power ACT to re-create a world-renowned transport photograph that demonstrates the advantages of travel in congested cities by bus and bicycle.
The Cycling Promotion Fund has joined with the ACT Government and Pedal Power ACT to re-create a world-renowned transport photograph that demonstrates the advantages of travel in congested cities by bus and bicycle.
Canberra volunteers are being invited to be part of a photo shoot this Sunday that will see a city street shut down to capture an Australian version of the iconic photo originally shot over 20 years ago in Muenster, Germany. Demonstrating the typical space occupied in a city street by three common modes of transport; cars, bicycles and a bus; the image succinct illustrates the greater space efficiency of bus and bicycle travel.
‘After years of using the photo from Germany, the time came for Australia to have its own version in an Australian city’, said the Cycling Promotion Fund’s Stephen Hodge.
‘We decided on using 69 people in all the shots as that is the capacity of a standard Canberra bus,’ he explained.
‘We plan to use 60 cars, as this is the number occupied on average by 69 people and that is the capacity of our short closed section of Allara Street next Sunday’.
The Cycling Promotion Fund plans have created a large amount of interest from cities across Australia and it plans to release the photo freely once it is ready.
‘A photo is worth a thousand words and we think the Canberra transport photo will show just how effective public transport and cycling are to move in our congested cities’, said Hodge.
The Cycling Promotion Fund plans to launch the Canberra Transport Photo at its 2012 Active Travel for Sustainable Cities Parliamentary Dinner on the 12 September and will release the photo nationally at that time.
Volunteers are needed and can register here: http://www.volunteersignup.org/W994P.
• Canberra Transport Photo; 3 images – 69 bike riders + 69 bikes; 69 passengers + 1 bus; 69 drivers & passengers + 60 cars.
• 8am – 12pm, Sunday 9th September, 2012, Allara Street, Canberra City, ACT (between Constitution Ave and the Casino)
• In addition to capturing ‘the image’, time lapse photography and video will be used to create a short film that shows the process of getting people and vehicles in place and illustrates the time requirements to move vehicles and, more importantly, people through our cities.
• A copy of the Muenster photo & background can be found here: http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chi ... ?id=190533
More information on CPF website: http://www.cyclingpromotion.com.au/latest-news
Popular Bike Shops
Join the Cycling Forums on Strava
Australian Cycling Forums on Strava
Latest Reviews and Articles
Will your next bike be Intelligent? ABS and Smart Bike Tech
Vitus Vitesse EVO Disc Review – Speed Machine indeed!
- Site Admin
- Posts: 12588
- Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
- Location: Sydney
- General Australian Cycling Topics
- Info / announcements
- Buying a bike / parts
- General Cycling Discussion
- The Bike Shed
- Cycling Health
- Cycling Safety and Advocacy
- Women's Cycling
- Bike & Gear Reviews
- Cycling Trade
- Stolen Bikes
- Bicycle FAQs
- Serious Biking
- Audax / Randonneuring
- Retro biking
- Fixed Gear/ Single Speed
- Electric Bicycles
- Dragsters / Lowriders / Cruisers
- Children's Bikes
- Road Racing
- Road Biking
- Time Trial
- International and National Tours and Events
- Cycle Touring
- Touring Australia
- Touring Overseas
- Touring Bikes and Equipment
- Western Australia
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
- Country & Regional
- The Market Place
- Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales
- Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap
- My Bikes or Gear Elsewhere
- Cycling Brands
- Malvern Star
- Custom Builders
- Generic Carbon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users