The MTB virgin experience !

Le Velo

The MTB virgin experience !

Postby Le Velo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Long time roadie decided to jump over to MTB for a taste of cross training and slower paced ride as I often find myself pushing hard even on a "recovery" day
Picked up a jamis dragon 29 HT 29er Friday and went for a spin around the suburb to get the hang of it .... Saturday afternoon went over to the reserve backing on the estate and had a good time but the tracks are pretty trashed by 4wd and motorbikes and very sandy and muddy but had some fun.
Sunday a mate took me out to Gap creek and had an absolute blast ! Loved every minute of it but what a work out ! Never thought I would get so tired for riding an hour and doing an average of only 14kph .... Just made me realized that I used to often get fixated on the numbers on the road.
Not sure how I made it in one piece as the bars rubbed a couple of trees a few times and had the odd too wide switchback where I was glad I am riding flat pedals so I could get my balance back .... Lol
Looking forward to another outing on the week end and get dirty again ! ..... Just wished I was younger and fearless ... He he he

bychosis

Re: The MTB virgin experience !

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:01 pm

I guess there's the thing: MTB can be fun fast and slow, it's all about the trails (and you dont have to wear lycra). Roadies are good for their purpose, but I reckon its the 'business' side of cycling. A good MTB ride will also give your upper body a decent workout too, not just your legs n lungs.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Le Velo wrote:Picked up a jamis dragon 29 HT 29er Friday
hey velo ... how is that j.dragon ? 520 or 853 ? did you pick up from north queensland ? either way, its a popular move to the bush - one i hope to do very soon
chop wood

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:51 pm

I sure felt the workout in the upper body, particularly in the forearms
The Jamis is a 520 Reynolds tubbing. Picked it up from a local shop in Brisbane .... I did shop around for a while and narrowed it down to the giant xtc and the jamis which won over for the frame as I like the Reynolds tubbing despite being a bit on the heavier side (14,7kg complete bike with pedals) .... I thought I got a bit more bike for my bucks :lol:

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:27 pm

Le Velo wrote: Never thought I would get so tired for riding an hour and doing an average of only 14kph ....
Huge fun, though, right? My ribs and core seem to get a workout doing it, and mentally, you're always busy. :smile:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:03 am

Le Velo wrote:Looking forward to another outing on the week end and get dirty again ! ..... Just wished I was younger and fearless ... He he he
Sweet, that's another convert :twisted:

So... be honest with us LV... How good does it feel to be mentally 14yo again? :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:26 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Le Velo wrote:Looking forward to another outing on the week end and get dirty again ! ..... Just wished I was younger and fearless ... He he he

So... be honest with us LV... How good does it feel to be mentally 14yo again? :D

Shaun
Lol ..... it felt AWESOME !!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:57 am

Not sure that more converts to MTB is better, theres less room on the trails for me!

OP: so what if your MTB is 14kg. As long as you are enjoying riding it. If you aren't out for a race then it is more important to be tough/reliable. Heavier just = more workout.

I had to drop off and pick up my car for servicing yesterday. No brainer to take the MTB. Fun 5min ride.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:04 am

bychosis wrote:Not sure that more converts to MTB is better, theres less room on the trails for me!

OP: so what if your MTB is 14kg. As long as you are enjoying riding it. If you aren't out for a race then it is more important to be tough/reliable. Heavier just = more workout.

I had to drop off and pick up my car for servicing yesterday. No brainer to take the MTB. Fun 5min ride.
Weight wasn't a factor when I chose the Jamis. My pick was the fact that it is steel and made to last. Not intending to race ..... (Yet anyway :) )

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:49 pm

bychosis wrote:Not sure that more converts to MTB is better, theres less room on the trails for me!
There does seem to be that phenomenon of MTBers not sharing favourite rides with casual acquaintances the way road bikers do.

It's just an observation .... great singletrack can obviously be ruined by the presence of others, and might be on private property or subject to the scrutiny of rangers, so I can see why some 'holding onto cards' happens in conversation or on forums like this.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Yeah! Get off my trail. :P

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Le Velo wrote:Weight wasn't a factor when I chose the Jamis. My pick was the fact that it is steel and made to last. Not intending to race ..... (Yet anyway :) )
Good move to get steel for a HT. When I changed frames on my rigid from steel to a longer Al frame (with same fork) I had to lower the tyre pressures a couple of psi to get the same feel I had before. So why didn't I get another steel frame? Because the Al frame was $30 secondhand.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:27 pm

Nobody wrote:
Yeah! Get off my trail. :P
Lol ... Better not upload my rides to strava then so no one will go on the tracks I found in the reserve being my estate :D

2bob32

Postby 2bob32 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Mulger bill wrote:

Shaun

Whole heartedly agree. I'm a 60/14 yr old & can't get enough.