Paralympics

familyguy

Paralympics

Postby familyguy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Track events on ABC2 just now. Great watching.

WR on the track for Sue Powell in the 4000m IP: http://www.london2012.com/paralympics/c ... index.html

Jim

scotto

Re: Paralympics

Postby scotto » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:11 am

I pissed myself watching the pommy favourite in the TT lunge early and slip when released from the start gate. He then went on a temper tantrum/ rage for 15 minutes that ended up with him being (literally) carried away fighting and screaming, because he wouldnt stop.....
typical whinging pom !!

ps- he came last

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:18 am

scotto wrote:I pissed myself watching the pommy favourite in the TT lunge early and slip when released from the start gate. He then went on a temper tantrum/ rage for 15 minutes that ended up with him being (literally) carried away fighting and screaming, because he wouldnt stop.....
typical whinging pom !!

ps- he came last
That Pom is Jody Cundy, he's a good guy and a tremendous athlete and would have been extremely pissed at himself for the error, at something he's been working towards for the past 8 years since moving across from swimming. He is the world record holder with a 1:05 kilo TT.

Hands up everyone here who can do a 65-second kilo?

I thought so.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:09 am

Watching the tandems do 10.1 flying 200's last night was awesome. You gotta have a lot of faith in your pilot sitting that close with no vision (sometimes literally) at that sort of speeds!

Jim

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:26 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
scotto wrote:I pissed myself watching the pommy favourite in the TT lunge early and slip when released from the start gate. He then went on a temper tantrum/ rage for 15 minutes that ended up with him being (literally) carried away fighting and screaming, because he wouldnt stop.....
typical whinging pom !!

ps- he came last
That Pom is Jody Cundy, he's a good guy and a tremendous athlete and would have been extremely pissed at himself for the error, at something he's been working towards for the past 8 years since moving across from swimming. He is the world record holder with a 1:05 kilo TT.

I thought so.
That is no excuse for his behavior, and what any of us can do is irrelevant.

I watched Shane Kelly pull his cleat from his pedal at the Olympics - he wasn't allowed a restart but he didn't carry on like child having a tantrum.

And neither did Cundy's tandem teammates when they had chain problems twice and were denied a second restart. They are also the world record holders.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:19 pm

scotto wrote:I pissed myself watching the pommy favourite in the TT lunge early and slip when released from the start gate. He then went on a temper tantrum/ rage for 15 minutes that ended up with him being (literally) carried away fighting and screaming, because he wouldnt stop....
Who exactly was he angry at?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm still looking for the offending malfunction, but he's not a happy chappy. Language warnings:

Jim

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:39 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
typical whinging pom !!

ps- he came last

I thought so.
Not the point. I've seen Scotto lose races due to other riders being tools and he just takes it on the chin and keeps going. True, we aren't racing in the olympics/paralympics/world championships etc., but sportsmanship is sportsmanship. Be devastated, but don't throw a hissy.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:12 am

RonK wrote:That is no excuse for his behavior, and what any of us can do is irrelevant.
I'm not condoning the behaviour, but I find poking fun at someone for being so clearly disappointed a bit rich.

I'm sure Jody's pretty embarrassed about it.

Everyone reacts differently to the massive expectations and pressure at that level. Jody would have been red hot favourite. Until you've been in the pressure cooker yourself, I wouldn't be throwing too many stones.

I recall in Beijing an Aussie track runner having a bad run and throwing a huge tanti, tossing his shoes etc. It wasn't funny. It wasn't great behaviour or good to watch, but one thing it isn't is funny.

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:31 am

It is if it's a Pom :)

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:57 pm

After taking the munchkins to the Para's in Sydney I've become a big fan and find it better watching than the actual Olympics with the odd exception. Some of the athletes really are extraordinary.

My favourite story thus far is the one about the tandem girls who when asked for an interview had to put it off because one of them was puking her guts out from the effort!

Channel 9 could also learn alot from the ABC in terms of televising the events!

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:25 pm

I agree. Love the paralympics...
goneriding wrote:
Channel 9 could also learn alot from the ABC in terms of televising the events!
+ lots

vander

Postby vander » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:31 pm

Only problem with ABC is the presenters often think they are funny when they just arent. I agree it is amazing what these people are doing, I am struggling having just one hand due to a fracture, I cant imagine having one hand my whole life and then still being able to do what these guys are doing, it makes everything harder (even brushing teeth is a challenge)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:44 pm

herzog wrote:It is if it's a Pom :)
lol
maybe I'm just being a bit sensitive.

I know a bit about what they go through to perform at that level with such a disability.

Anyway, I've only raced Jody twice. It's one-all. :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:47 pm

I have been really pleased that this thread has treated the athletes as, well athletes, who are competing on a reasonably level playing field with other athletes.

The emphasis on the coverage has been on their abilities & performance & none of the syrupy garbage about how they are brave or inspirational etc.
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:I know a bit about what they go through to perform at that level with such a disability.

Anyway, I've only raced Jody twice. It's one-all. :)
Alex I know you mean well & would fervently agree with you if you stopped after "perform at that level".

Jody put in a world class performance in the tantrum stakes & I would suggest that was related to the years of hard work he has put into the sport & not much at all to do with his missing limb.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:16 pm

find_bruce wrote:I have been really pleased that this thread has treated the athletes as, well athletes, who are competing on a reasonably level playing field with other athletes.

The emphasis on the coverage has been on their abilities & performance & none of the syrupy garbage about how they are brave or inspirational etc.
The lines have been blurring since around 2000, I think, when we had wheelchair races in the Olympics. It's been a subtle shift, but we're getting to the point where wheelchair basketball is just another category of basketball, in the same way that wrestling has weight divisions. We're all fine with separate events for men and women, so why not for the blind or those missing limbs? We're already at the point where someone who can compete in a sport is allowed to, regardless of their differing physiology (I'm talking Oscar P-whatever here). I'll be a lot happier when John Smith is introduced as the Australian rower, rather than the blind member of the coxless fours.

Small steps, but we're getting there.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:52 am

I love the fact that prosthetics are being made to restore the function of missing limbs rather than trying to look "real", that and the high tech chairs, designed for each discipline & sport.

As I go to work at my difficult to access in a chair building, stuff like this gives me hope for the future

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:48 am

find_bruce wrote:I love the fact that prosthetics are being made to restore the function of missing limbs rather than trying to look "real", that and the high tech chairs, designed for each discipline & sport.

As I go to work at my difficult to access in a chair building, stuff like this gives me hope for the future
Prosthetics + smart phones = Skynet cyborg future. We've got to find Sarah Connor and kill her, NOW!

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:32 am

find_bruce wrote:Jody put in a world class performance in the tantrum stakes & I would suggest that was related to the years of hard work he has put into the sport & not much at all to do with his missing limb.
Agree.

Nevertheless, there are extra issues that go with being an amputee at that level, that go beyond the years of hard work. I don't expect people to understand.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Jody put in a world class performance in the tantrum stakes & I would suggest that was related to the years of hard work he has put into the sport & not much at all to do with his missing limb.
Agree.

Nevertheless, there are extra issues that go with being an amputee at that level, that go beyond the years of hard work. I don't expect people to understand.
Yes, but everyone he was competing against in the C4-C5 has a similar disability. Leaving that aside, if you have some insight into the issues faced by a cyclist such as Jody, I for one would love to hear it.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:15 pm

find_bruce wrote:Yes, but everyone he was competing against in the C4-C5 has a similar disability.
That's not actually the case. Not all in that category have amputations, and not all amputations are legs.

The categories rank people based on the level of activity limitation, not by the nature of their disability (being it locomotor, amputation, neural etc).

For example, here are the definitions for the C4 and C5 categories:
Division Cycling, Sport Class C4
Neurological
• Hemiplegic with spasticity grade 1, lower limb more involved
• Diplegic, lower spasticity grade 1 in both legs
• Mild to moderate athetosis or ataxia/dystonia.
Limited ROM of the hip or knee such that a normal functional full revolution of the crank is not possible. In this case, it is the cyclist’s option to shorten the crank to the optimal size.
Amputation:
• Single amputation BK with the use of prosthesis + Single BE amputation with or without
the use of prosthesis
• Single amputation BK, with the use of prosthesis
• Double amputation BE with or without the use of a prosthesis that allows as much functional contact as possible to the handlebar.
Comparable multiple impairments with a tested point score between 60 and 109 points.

16.5.012 Division Cycling, Sport Class C5
This is the sport class for athletes with minimum impairments.
Neurological
• Monoplegia spasticity grade 1 or more in the affected arm
Plus clear neurological signs to include
• Positive uni or bilateral Hoffman
• Noticeably brisk reflexes or clear differences in reflexes left versus right
Amputation:
• Single amputation AE, with or without prosthesis, no functional grip
• Single amputation BE with the use of a prosthesis.

Minimal disability: Amputation of all fingers and thumb (through MCP) or amputation of more than
half foot (forefoot). In the case of a single AE-, BE- amputation or a single upper limb dysmelia, the
minimal impairment is met if all fingers and the thumb of one hand is missing through the MCP joint
or other impairments who are equivalents, without a functional grip. As a proof of the loss of functional grip, the affected athlete will not be able to operate handle-bar mounted gear and brake levers
with the affected or impaired limb.
Comparable multiple impairments with a tested point score between 20 and 59 points.
So you can see that C4/5 athletes face a range of challenges.
find_bruce wrote:Leaving that aside, if you have some insight into the issues faced by a cyclist such as Jody, I for one would love to hear it.
Another day perhaps.

Although I will say that there is also difference in the challenge faced by amputees that are congenital (e.g. Cundy/Pistorius) and acquired (e.g. me).

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Yes you are right Alex, I had tried to use a shorthand description & in doing so, got it wrong. Thank you for gently correcting me. I look forward to reading what you have to say, if you feel like writing it.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:19 pm

find_bruce wrote:Yes you are right Alex, I had tried to use a shorthand description & in doing so, got it wrong. Thank you for gently correcting me. I look forward to reading what you have to say, if you feel like writing it.
I have done so over the years via my blog, although not everything I share publicly. I tend to write about the positive stuff.

As an example, this year has been a write-off bike wise because of problems with prosthetic fit causing injury.

In the two years leading up to the UCI World Cup last season, I put up with a gaping hole in the side of my leg caused by the interaction of the various components involved. Not nice being able to look at your tendon. Things just don't heal very well down there inside that no air, moist, warm, salty environment known as the prosthetic liner, and the risk of infection is high.

After that I got a new leg that helped fix the problem (but doing so earlier would have jeopardised my ability to ride at all as in my experience transitioning to new legs is a very dicey period), and meant I probably would not have been able to compete.

Sometimes I would experience pain when riding for no apparent reason (that's bad enough and you can ride through that), but sometimes I don't know the damage I'm doing as I have no nerves in part of my stump. It's only after you stop, take it off and pour the blood out of the leg liner, or spot the deep purple mess of flesh that you realise things aren't all hunky dorey. Then you deal with the frustration of knowing it might be weeks of not using the leg at all to help heal. No walking, no standing, no riding. Crutches again.

Minor changes in weight or body fluids cause large problems with fit when putting your leg into a hard carbon shell and then putting it under a fair workload x 250-300,000 revolutions per month. Lose/gain a few kg and your leg is not so good any more for competition. But at many thousands of dollars a pop, you don't change them like socks. You risk the injury that goes with a just adequately fitting leg. Cundy's leg costs ~ $25k.

But really, they are just (some of) the physical issues. The metal ones are far deeper and more complex.

It's just reality you deal with like any athlete, and I so admire when these guys can actually make to the race, in great nick, on the day, because that doesn't always happen for an amputee (no matter how well you plan), and when that chance slips through your fingers, at the most important event of your sporting life, well I do feel for them. I learned that I needed to make the most of the good periods of form, as the desired peak periods may not even happen due to some random leg problem.

But still, crummy behaviour isn't to be condoned.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks Alex, it's easy to forget that the lack of pain can cause more problems than its presence.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:48 am

Congratualtions to Carol Cooke, picked up a gold in the Mixed T1-2 class, "Athletes on tricycles, who have severe locomotive dysfunctions and limited ability to pedal" - yep she beat the blokes into 2nd & 3rd