Europa / Abeni / Elan appreciation society

bychosis

Re: Europa / Abeni / Elan appreciation society

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks some good info there. Doesn't quite took the same at the marksbikes Raleigh, but the date fits (1973) with the derailleurs and lugwork. Will have to have another good look over for the serial number that must be hiding somewhere.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TOOMB

Postby TOOMB » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:08 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
TOOMB wrote:I've listed my Abeni SuperRecord on ebay in case anyone here is interested :)
Nah, low end clunkers from 5 posts noobs who come here to ask questions and then tout their bikes for salewithout contributing anything else are not that popular. I think you misplaced the decimal point in your price too. Should read 99c.
Sorry v2, I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. I would have liked to contribute more but I have a limited knowledge hence why I signed up on here, but according to you asking questions is bad practice so I will refrain. Apparently the decimal place was spot on, or at least that is what the buyer and 24 watchers thought, but thank you for your concern.

morini

Postby morini » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:30 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
TOOMB wrote:I've listed my Abeni SuperRecord on ebay in case anyone here is interested :)
Nah, low end clunkers from 5 posts noobs who come here to ask questions and then tout their bikes for salewithout contributing anything else are not that popular. I think you misplaced the decimal point in your price too. Should read 99c.

Thats the spirit. This site doesn't need any more 'bike noobs' so lets discourage all of them as soon as possible just in case they take an interest, learn enough to contribute and become popular.

I....I.... I just can't take it any more. If another person asks me for info about their bicycle, I.... I...... I just don't know what I'll do? I..... I...... I could really lose it and.....and aaarrrggghhhh the pain of knowing so much............and helping others.............it's................ killing................ me.

Now about that Repco Traveller........................you know, the one I got for $5. :D :D

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:34 pm

:roll: Whatever.

Catcha

adamaitken

Postby adamaitken » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 pm

adamaitken

Postby adamaitken » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:12 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86405024@N ... 0670[/img]

My restored Abeni, orginally built early 80s, restored August 2012.
Columbus SL 52 cm frame with SR stem and handlebars - new compact cranks and brakes.
Original Shimano Dura-ace wheels and 6 speed cluster, and Concor saddle.
Rides beautifully for me.

morini

Postby morini » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:21 pm

That turned out pretty nice. I'd better get mine sorted one day.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:16 pm

thats a nice resto...pity the cranks wouldn't come off!

rob2012

Postby rob2012 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:04 pm

Here is my Europa i picked up off council cleanup a few weks ago... ive since put 2 new k-mart 700cx35 tyres and some Giant egonomic grips on it, and im in the middle of sending the crankset to shimano for replacement as they are the ct-90 cranks that have been re-called.. i also picked up some drop bars (HSIN-LUNG?) i want to put on it as soon as i can find some brake levers and shifters, new derailleurs and cassette is in the plans too, nothing too flash though just a commuter (unless i can find a great deal).. judging by the flavour of Altus gearset on it now im guessing its 1996/1997, anyone know anything about this model? seems more of a cyclo-cross/MTB than a roadbike.. anything stopping me from converting it to a roadbike?

drop bars test-fitted (do i need a longer/lower headstem?):

p.s. its a 56cm frame, im 6'2".. is this a good size frame for me?
p.p.s is this headstem suitable? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KALLOY-100mm ... 2c66e72621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; its already got a kalloy seatpost

munga

Postby munga » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:26 pm

with a regular road bike, one can usually measure the seat tube from the centre of the crank bolt to the centre of the top tube to determine frame size. measure yours and you'll come up with a figure a bit less than 56cm - i'd guess more like 50cm.
this would be a great sized road bike if you're 5'2"
i'm over simplifying, but if you can stand over the top tube with about an inch or less to spare, it's a good start. if you can standover with more than 3inches, it's gunna be a compromise.
bear in mind that if you keep the flat bars and you wanna treat the bike as something more bmx than road racer, it might be fine. who's to know, but as a road bike, it's will almost certainly be too small for someone 6'2" :(

rob2012

Postby rob2012 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:42 pm

munga wrote:with a regular road bike, one can usually measure the seat tube from the centre of the crank bolt to the centre of the top tube to determine frame size. measure yours and you'll come up with a figure a bit less than 56cm - i'd guess more like 50cm.
this would be a great sized road bike if you're 5'2"
i'm over simplifying, but if you can stand over the top tube with about an inch or less to spare, it's a good start. if you can standover with more than 3inches, it's gunna be a compromise.
bear in mind that if you keep the flat bars and you wanna treat the bike as something more bmx than road racer, it might be fine. who's to know, but as a road bike, it's will almost certainly be too small for someone 6'2" :(
damnit.. i was measuring the top tube... centre of bottom bracket to centre of top tube is 46cm... cant i just raise the seat? lol...

do you reckon anybody in their right mind would swap or pay me for it to get a bigger frame?

brettels

Postby brettels » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Picked up this recently....A Technicomps (Europa) Bigfoot MTB.......

GT obsession......

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:56 am

My first new "good bike" was a Technicomps MTB with Deore LX, same as the bigfoot, but i've got straight blade forks. She's still got it hanging up in the shed. It's a fun bike cause she's really quite small and i'd ride it with a long seatpost.

Chris32R

Postby Chris32R » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 pm

99% complete on a restore of a Europa family bike. Was purchased somewhere around the late 70's and sat the last 15 years under a house until I decided to rescue it. Kept all things original except the saddle, pedals and wheels (too far gone). Has a Suntour 7 GT groupset and dia compe brakes, all work well. Frame soda blasted and painted to match my car colour (VW R Blue), most parts cleaned via a vinegar bath and steel wool. Just need to apply some decals now.

Original

Now

Enjoy.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Nice work, hope mine will look that shiny one day.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Wow. That came up nicer than expected.

8)

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:56 am

Here's my Europa commuter - currently an old light action SIS 6 speed group, but a 105 8spd awaits. May repaint - this has had a respray already - but at the moment its a really comfortable ride - whippy through the back end.

Going by Munga's lug description, this is one of the oria frames too. Chromed forks under the fluoro techno paintjob.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:19 pm

Would Technicomps come under this banner as well? picked up a frame that is quite small for me but feels alu and heard that abeni with mcpherson was doing technicomps frames in the 80s. This model was called alvion? anyone have any info on it?

Chris32R

Postby Chris32R » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Decals on thanks to cyclomondo. Hope to find another dusty old europa soon :)

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:06 am

An interesting, though quite small Europa has just appeared on the bay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Euro ... 2a24764575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:29 am

Yeah, saw that. Would fit my work colleaugue (non-urgently looking for her...), but alas, in Melb. :(
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

sunho

Postby sunho » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:30 am

Surely this is someone's on this forum...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0815275958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reminds me so much of danthediggerman's viner...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

munga

Postby munga » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:30 am

sunho wrote:Surely this is someone's on this forum...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0815275958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reminds me so much of danthediggerman's viner...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
nice details on the fork crown. and interesting 'webbed' lugs.
quite a step up from most europa's

whatsinaname

Postby whatsinaname » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:06 am

Hi all
Am new here....please be kind :D
I have recently been given a bike frame of dubious origin....i have searched other topics on this forum and cannot sem to find the answers i would like on this frame.
My intention is to build it up as a fixie but not sure if the frame is worth the effort. Will try to post some pics if i can....if not here is a brief description anyway:
Frame has ABENI stamped on it on the top of the seat post stays....also has an A stamped on top of the forks....red irradecent paint over chrome....forks are all chrome as is a section of the rear triangle....has ULTIMA stickers on it....has a number stamped on the bottom bracket 4728764 x7...bottom bracket also has two horizontal slots in it.....drop outs are colnago as are cranks, deraileurs etc...brake levers are Dura Ace of very early vintage

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Have pictures but cant post them as yet.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:35 pm

whatsinaname wrote:Hi all
Am new here....please be kind :D
I have recently been given a bike frame of dubious origin....i have searched other topics on this forum and cannot sem to find the answers i would like on this frame.
My intention is to build it up as a fixie but not sure if the frame is worth the effort. Will try to post some pics if i can....if not here is a brief description anyway:
Frame has ABENI stamped on it on the top of the seat post stays....also has an A stamped on top of the forks....red irradecent paint over chrome....forks are all chrome as is a section of the rear triangle....has ULTIMA stickers on it....has a number stamped on the bottom bracket 4728764 x7...bottom bracket also has two horizontal slots in it.....drop outs are colnago as are cranks, deraileurs etc...brake levers are Dura Ace of very early vintage

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Have pictures but cant post them as yet.
I think its entirely worthless and you should give it to me ;)
sounds nice, but I can't offer any clues, sorry.