Video Camera who uses one?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:13 am

On the GoPro Wifi backpack, thanks RonK.

I have just gone through the process with my GoPro HD Original and trying to connect the remote. I found the following video helpful, it concentrates on the HD2 though watch it as it referes to the original as well.

Here are my tips for Setup/Connecting the Wifi Backpack
- Run a firmware update - on the GoPro Original it is done manually by downloading an update and putting it on the SD card. Instructions are on the download page

- I started (after a firmware update) by following the handbook instructions which did not work - I couldn't get the WFI menu, so instead of continuing, spotted the helpful video (posted below).

- The (free) Cineform studio software was required. I don't actually need it for editing though to connect up the wifibackpack and sync thr remote control it was required. Follow the instructions in the video.

- It took a number of times until the wifi backpack successfully updated. I was getting error messages and on the third time it worked.

I have just done simple testing only but the remote is exactly what will make my life easier. On the remote you can see an icon with the mode (film, photo, tripleshot photo, timer) which is incredibly handy AND when filming a red LED flashes on the remote.

Sweet As
The remote will turn the camera on and off. Saving battery time is a bit concern when on long trips so in this respect it is a complete solution.

Missing In Action
- My budget doesn't stretch as far for a new GoPro Hero 2 and it is a shame to miss out on the smart phone capabilities which for me is to line up the shot (checking the framing)

Cycling is in my BNA

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:27 am

AUbicycles wrote:Near Misses in traffic or Crashes on Video?

I would love to hear from you if you are interested in sharing your story/footage. I am in touch with a PR company who have found this angle interesting, sports cameras used for safety/evidence by cyclists as opposed to just sports. Just send me a PM or email: info@bicycles.net.au and one or two sentences on your experience.
Christopher, are you able to give an indication of what the PR company wants it for?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:00 pm

jules21 wrote:Christopher, are you able to give an indication of what the PR company wants it for?
I will PM you.
Cycling is in my BNA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:07 pm

AUbicycles wrote:On the GoPro Wifi backpack, thanks RonK.

I have just gone through the process with my GoPro HD Original and trying to connect the remote. I found the following video helpful, it concentrates on the HD2 though watch it as it referes to the original as well.

Here are my tips for Setup/Connecting the Wifi Backpack
- Run a firmware update - on the GoPro Original it is done manually by downloading an update and putting it on the SD card. Instructions are on the download page

- I started (after a firmware update) by following the handbook instructions which did not work - I couldn't get the WFI menu, so instead of continuing, spotted the helpful video (posted below).

- The (free) Cineform studio software was required. I don't actually need it for editing though to connect up the wifibackpack and sync thr remote control it was required. Follow the instructions in the video.

- It took a number of times until the wifi backpack successfully updated. I was getting error messages and on the third time it worked.

I have just done simple testing only but the remote is exactly what will make my life easier. On the remote you can see an icon with the mode (film, photo, tripleshot photo, timer) which is incredibly handy AND when filming a red LED flashes on the remote.

Sweet As
The remote will turn the camera on and off. Saving battery time is a bit concern when on long trips so in this respect it is a complete solution.

Missing In Action
- My budget doesn't stretch as far for a new GoPro Hero 2 and it is a shame to miss out on the smart phone capabilities which for me is to line up the shot (checking the framing)

Ok this is what I did
Already had Cineform Studio installed and had my GoPro firmware upgraded.
When I got my wifi backpack tested it and got it connect. Went to ride with it, do you think it would connect.... NOPE
So got home and read the manual... YES read the manual!!!
:oops:
OK so need to connect to the computer OK... Do that OH cineform has an update. Update it, OK unplugged wifi backpack and plug it back in, YES picked up. OK Oh it has a default password. Change it!!!
Plugged the remote in and it connected it for me. Tested it works, go riding and works and very very handy.
Next gotta get my phone hooked up to it.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:18 pm

jules21 wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:Near Misses in traffic or Crashes on Video?

I would love to hear from you if you are interested in sharing your story/footage. I am in touch with a PR company who have found this angle interesting, sports cameras used for safety/evidence by cyclists as opposed to just sports. Just send me a PM or email: info@bicycles.net.au and one or two sentences on your experience.
Christopher, are you able to give an indication of what the PR company wants it for?

Please tell us it's not someone like ACA doing a cyclist beat up like last week's crap....

For near misses in traffic - just direct them to the moron mororists thread here. I'm sure there are zillions reported...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:41 pm

Just locked the moron motorist thread, it wasn't very nice in there.

Early days yet and for anyone involved I will make sure they are in the know and I have their OK's but the starting point is the review of a sports action camera and on discussion the PR company was interested in the angle of camera's for evidence/security/documentation as opposed to just cool action footage, a new angle and so now is the ground work to get some stories together and see what can be done.
Cycling is in my BNA

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:55 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
chucknitro wrote:Please tell me you knocked it on something solid...:)
I couldn't get back sooner. It hasn't failed of its own accord however I didn't feel for that the force of the impact into soft dirt should be enough to fracture a $60 mount. As an aluminium mount it isn't as malleable as steel so will fracture rather than deform, though exactly at the point where it failed is a screw that goes through the middle, so a weak point.

On the roadbike I specifically mounted it under than handlebars once I found a way to get through the cable spagetti and have a clear view.

In short I felt that the knock it did receive was quite light to have this result considering it is a $60 mount however will have to await the verdict and see if the retailer agrees, I did provide a photo and they did ask me to send it in.
I'm not sure how heavy those cameras are so not sure how tight you need to do up the clamp. Ideally you want it only just tight enough so it wont move on its own. But also loose enough so that it can move if its hit. Having the brake levers set like that saved me plenty of broken levers on dirt bikes and a few times on MTBs.

bella26

Postby bella26 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:20 am

I bought myself a GoPro HD hero 2 a couple of months ago and then promptly purchased two K-Edge mounts soon after. I have one for the handlebars and one for under the saddle which provides me with a couple of different options during rides to shoot from. So far so good although I do get a bit of vibration and slight shudder on rougher road surfaces - not sure how I'd avoid this.

Still have a bit to learn but hoping to be able to showcase riding up here on some lovely quiet roads in the Snowies

2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:57 pm

bella26 wrote:So far so good although I do get a bit of vibration and slight shudder on rougher road surfaces - not sure how I'd avoid this.
I was just dancing away to the music there, you should have seen me.

On the vibration, when the road is bumpy there isn't much you can do with a bar or saddle mounted camera. What the K-Edge do well is eliminate flex which is a problem in standard go-pro mounts and so the best case is that the camera moves with the bike rather than having a flexible mount that ads movement and vibration. What I do notice is though there is shudder, there is not the classic rolling shutter jello effect as much.

Once I get a new K-Edge GoBig I will continue trialling mounts, ie. directly mounted on the bars and also with dampening material.
I will also try out some vibration/shake elimination software but for now can saw that the youtube option doesn't work - it tends to blur the footage.

--

The way to avoid the bumps is the chest harness which is smoother though also has its deficits, short of going for expensive, cumbersome, professional steady cam solutions.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Baldy wrote:I'm not sure how heavy those cameras are so not sure how tight you need to do up the clamp. Ideally you want it only just tight enough so it wont move on its own. But also loose enough so that it can move if its hit. Having the brake levers set like that saved me plenty of broken levers on dirt bikes and a few times on MTBs.
I hear what you are saying, and yes it was tight though to avoid movement it also needs to be tight. As least with a contour and a standard contour handlebar mount I trialled, the movement really affected the quality of the footage.
My learning experience is to take the trouble to mount it underneath the handlebars (which I do on my roadbike), this keeps it out of the way and is also more subtle so you arn't riding around as the 'dude with the camera'.
Cycling is in my BNA

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:57 am

It is always a good idea to have a thin strip of rubber under the mount, this will go a long way to reduce vibration.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:13 am

Those of you that have a GoPro 1 or 2 might find this site interesting http://cam-do.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They sell add ons for the GoPro cameras..

GoPro Time Programmable Scheduler

The Programmable Scheduler combines the features of the Time Lapse Intervalometer with a programmable timer capable of turning the camera on and off according to 18 separate programs which can repeat daily or weekly. Events can be scheduled up to one week in advance.

The Programmable Scheduler plugs into the back of the GoPro HD Hero and Hero 2 cameras and requires no additional power.

GoPro Time Lapse Intervalometer

The Cam-Do Timer Control is designed to turn the camera on and off to maximize the battery usage. In most cases, the camera will take about 2,000 images on a single battery charge. These images can be spread over hours, days or even weeks.

The Timer control fits in the GoPro extended waterproof back and requires no external connections or battery.

GoPro Motion Detector

The Cam-Do Motion Detectors trigger the GoPro HD Hero or HD Hero 2 camera when movement is sensed in front of the camera.

The motion detector uses the same board as the time lapse controller and includes all the features of the timer control as well as the motion detector unit.

There are 2 models available. The PIR unit detects the infra-red (heat) generated by moving people and large animals. The X-Band microwave unit detects movement using doppler radar and works through glass and detects objects/reptiles, which are not hot.

GoPro Remote Controls

Cam-Do offers both wired and wireless remote controls for the GoPro HD Hero and GoPro HD HERO2 cameras.

The wired remote comes with a 1 meter cable and plugs into a stereo jack with a short cable which plugs into the back of the camera. The cable can be extended to any length using standard off-the-shelf stereo audio extension cables available anywhere.

The new wireless remote control attaches to the back of the camera and fits inside the GoPro extended back doors and features one click programmable length video clip capture.

USB Back Door Cable

Using the USB Back Door power cable liberates you from the battery limitations of the camera. The GoPro camera can be used for time lapse photography lasting for hours or days without the need for an additional Time Lapse Controller.

The USB cable connects to any suitable USB charger (1000 mA or more recommended) or you can use a portable power source, such as the 5000 mAH Battery Packs available from Amazon. In tests the 5000 mAH battery pack ran the GoPro HD Hero camera for more than 12 hours of continuous shooting.

A Solar Battery Charger can be used for extended power in situations where mains power is not available.

Graeme

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:30 am

Wow - I think that you have added a gopro to my wish list
2012 Oppy A4

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:16 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Wow - I think that you have added a gopro to my wish list
They are great cameras and well worth the money. There is a lot you can do with them besides using them on your bike :)

Graeme

VRE

Postby VRE » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:18 pm

GraemeL wrote:
They are great cameras and well worth the money. There is a lot you can do with them besides using them on your bike :)

Graeme
Agreed. I used one January before last, during the 200km Alpine Classic, and the video quality is superb. Here's the 2 vids I uploaded to YouTube from the day:
Falls Creek / Mt Buffalo montage
Descending Tawonga Gap South

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:14 am

GraemeL wrote:

Graeme
+1

This is why I bought one in the end over other options. I have been using my GoPro as my default camera as I travel around Europe both on and off the bike. Although it isn't perfect in all scenarios and lighting conditions, it is more than enough for pictures during the day and the photos are very high quality. I am also a keen waterman (bodyboarding, surfing, bodysurfing etc) so the GoPro will be put to work in this situation as well. I'm looking forward to ghetto mounting the camera and filming some tube time once I get back to Oz.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

bella26

Postby bella26 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:16 am

Starting to play around with some different angles for the k-edge handlebar mount. Here's the latest vid I've put together which shows this off - and some of our awesome quiet riding roads here in the Snowies :-)

2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:40 am

Here's a vid I cut together of a bunch ride that I do in Northern Sydney (NSCC Le Rêve)

As it's a 2 hour ride, I've sped it up a bit (12x), which is a bit nuts, but at normal speed I'd rather watch paint dry. It's uploaded in 1080p. Oh, and I stuffed up adding the titles at the beginning, but after rendering the video for several hours I didn't feel like going back again. Uploading the stupid thing took yonks too :roll:

I used the GoPro Hero 2 with the K-edge mount. I have the normal speed video which I should upload (if only the Bobbin Head descent as it's the most interesting bit).

Enjoy
Dave

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Looks good Dave, nice work. :)
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:13 am

Finally bit the bullet and got a Go Pro to replace the Contour. The Hero2 just has better video quality and the mounting options are better, along with the mounting system itself. Not sure if I'll sell the Contour or hang onto it.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:27 am

Sven Nijs wrote:Looks good Dave, nice work. :)
Thanks Sven :mrgreen:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:12 am

This is just up - the way I did the fast-forward action.

The bigger (wide) video is better viewing, it is part of this article on BNA 160km Contact Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge Profile

I slowed the video around the corners and also chose a speed which is fast enough to avoid too much boredom (120 minutes into 20 minutes), but still slow enough to see the profile. It should be said it is certainly not general viewing, rather relevant for people interested in previewing the profile for the New Zealand cycling event.

GoPro Hero Original, mounted on a car (front grill) with two cable ties.
Cycling is in my BNA

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi Guys,
With 70 pages of great info, I don't really have the time to trawl through all of them unfortunately.
My situation is this, I lost 100kg in body weight 3 years ago, kept it off (mostly) and next month will be taking part in the 1200 KMS for Kids ride from Sydney to Brisbane.
I'd like to mount a HD Video Camera either helmet or on the bike to record the ride, I have plentiful access to SD cards so that's not an issue, what about battery capacity/length, weight/aerodynamics? What do you recommend?

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:44 pm

meridaman wrote:Hi Guys,
With 70 pages of great info, I don't really have the time to trawl through all of them unfortunately.
My situation is this, I lost 100kg in body weight 3 years ago, kept it off (mostly) and next month will be taking part in the 1200 KMS for Kids ride from Sydney to Brisbane.
I'd like to mount a HD Video Camera either helmet or on the bike to record the ride, I have plentiful access to SD cards so that's not an issue, what about battery capacity/length, weight/aerodynamics? What do you recommend?
I dunno who's gonna watch that much footage back :shock: But anyways, each to their own 8) 8)

I don't recommend helmet mount for a drop bar roadie. Every time you stand up to pedal or hit the drops the camera is looking at the road, and then back up again. Makes you sea sick watching it!

For the GoPro (the one I bought), I've found the best bet is to mount it on the bars as near to the stem as possible - I've tried mounting at the end of the drops but the vibration is awful. There's a GoPro mount or the K-Edge one which is pricey, but pretty darn good. I've found the camera doesn't move at all over bumps where it will slightly on the plastic gopro mount.

A battery backpac will cost less than $50 delivered from Daves Discount Motors (google it, and google for discount codes :mrgreen: ) It will give you about 3.5 hours or so recording time total. You can also buy spare batteries for less than $20 (each good for up to 2 hours or so full HD recording)

cheers,
Dave

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks for the tips Dave, do you guys find the weight of the Go Pro an issue? I won't be watching it back in full lol... Media request and what we'll do is play the whole ride back in about 6-10 minutes with some motivational tunes and interviews with people about me doing the ride who knew what I was like before and mix some before photo's in there...