Thanks for advice - newbie

Bobmcar

Thanks for advice - newbie

Postby Bobmcar » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Quick post to thank fellow members of the forum for their advice. After posting a few months ago about looking at purchasing a recumbent and discussing possibilities finally took ownership of at Bacchetta CA2. Bit concerned about initial riding but is improving with each outing. Had been delayed for 6 weeks by breaking my hand riding on ice - not to be recommended. Starting is probably the most demanding skill at the moment, but after reading more on the forum - relaxing seems to be the key, things are continuing to improve although uphill is still challenging. Thanks again to all that supplied advice, and I'm not sure why I didn't do it years ago - recumbents would have to beone of the most comfortable machines I have ridden, not to mention fun. You do get some interesting looks :-)

rdp_au

Re: Thanks for advice - newbie

Postby rdp_au » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Excellent news! Welcome to the fold. You've chosen a fine machine. I ride it's somewhat more prosaic cousin, a Bacchetta Corsa and I'm really happy with it. The speed is addictive, and the comfort sublime. Certainly not a bike to choose if you don't want to attract attention though :)

In my experience, starting does get easier, but it's never really easy. My frame is a large size which puts my seat height at about the highest I can manage which doesn't help. The CA carbon seat is good as it's lower than the Euromesh seat I have on my Corsa. That said, I do commute through Sydney traffic regularly without too many problems.

Look forward to hearing more of your experiences.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Welcome to the darkside !!

I have a Catbike Musashi which I do not ride often enough....so I am anxious about riding it but when I do I love it to bits, but I do avoid busy roads as the drivers around Geelong leave a lot to be desired...........

My ICE Vortex gets all the love and gets used a lot, over 4000km this year on the Vortex !!

It is so fun and has suspensions !!

Keep us posted on your recumbent career !!

Bobmcar

Postby Bobmcar » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:58 pm

Thanks for the positive reinforcement folks Haven't been able to get out this week, but thought I would just run one impression past you more experienced riders. The one aspect I have found most unique to the recumbent is when traveling on the road I find myself stopping at a lot of corners and having a look then continuing. On my DF I would slow down and balance whilst I had a look then continue on without stopping. I realize the seating position is different but do you find in time as you gain more confidence, that your able to continue on similar to a DF bike rather than stopping. Just like to get the general feeling from other riders. Only a small thing but it was something that got my attention.
Cheers
Bob

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Congrats Bobmcar that is a really nice machine hope you get in your learning stride fast so you can really begin to enjoy the bike.

Ricky

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:08 pm

I think you’ll find you’ll get much more comfortable with low speed manoeuvring pretty quickly. I was very uncomfortable at first as my legs would get tangled with the bars on slow turns. You learn pretty quickly how to keep your knees out of the way so you can turn smoothly. Low speed stability is really very good - I can ride comfortably at less than a walking pace.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Yep just what he said......

You have all those years of keeping your inside leg up (to avoid pedal strike on a DF bike) to break.....then your legs tend to get out of the way and ironically pedalling around corners is good and fun and fast.....

I find I do sit up a bit approaching junctions just to improve my view but do struggle in traffic due to the much lower seating position.......

You'll get the hang of it !!

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:02 pm

I am guessing you are stopping at corners without stop signs to check for traffic and hazards.

In a situation where entering a corner is not perfectly clear and safe from viewing the corner on the approach, I unclip one foot, sit up or forward on the seat, slow down and change to a lower gear.
This allows me to stop or go as the situation permits.
I hope this helps you to ride safe. 8)
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

Bobmcar

Postby Bobmcar » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks again for the advice, it gives me and I'm sure other new recumbent riders lots of confidence to hear everyone has gone through similar experiences and here the strategies that you more experienced riders have employed to overcome them. Gives me great expectations for the future and the forums are just terrific places to share and learn, thanks agin.
Cheers
Bob