3 Peaks 2013

OldnSlow

3 Peaks 2013

Postby OldnSlow » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Hello all,

I'm after some advice to completing the "3Peaks Challenge" I'm assuming to be sometime in March 2013, I have completed 7 "Around the bays" and though I know the 3PC is way harder I am trying to gauge what time slot I would nominate on the entry form (when it comes out), I was wondering if people have completed both events and what times they did for both events.
I have various times for my ATB, really dependent on how hard I trained, from approx 6.5hrs to 8hrs riding time. My fastest time was from 1997 so that is never going to happen again. I am also starting my hill training having already visited the Dandenongs 1 in 20, once I feel comfortable with that I will work on some rides I have googled around Lake Mountain and Donna Buang etc etc, there is plenty of time between now and March but I cant not predict the 3PC time frame so any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

KenGS

Re: 3 Peaks 2013

Postby KenGS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:40 pm

If it's any help have a look at the rider times from the Audax ACE250 at http://www.alpineclassic.com.au/index.p ... Itemid=106
This is much the same route except for an extra 20km between Bright and the turnoff to the Gap (and back) which is basically flat.
Note that these are total time including any breaks and all riders have to pre-qualify to participate
So if you can work out roughly where you would fit in you've got a good idea

Donna Buang is good training but try Hotham at least once - it's in a different class altogether.
Maybe do the Alpine Raid in January. Its the ACE250 course over 2 days so you'd get a good look at the two "real" climbs: Hotham and Back of Falls.
Tawonga Gap doesn't count :P
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

OldnSlow

Postby OldnSlow » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Thanks Ken,
Sort of the info I'm after - I can take it I'm an average rider and go from there. I would assume most riders attempting this area would be of the more confident in their ability (I'm sure some get caught out as well) so I might use the average and then then add an hour and try for 11. For some reason 2-3 hours in the saddle more than I've done before doesn't worry me, but another 5 does.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:14 pm

you need to have done preparation rides of the same sort of calibre. not necessarily the same difficulty, but something approaching it - e.g. 150 km+ in big hills. if you felt like death warmed up finishing the latter ride, then you're not ready for 3 Peaks. you can't guess with "i've done ATB, how much harder is 3P?" you need to find out for yourself and prove to yourself you can do it, otherwise you risk being underdone, in which case you won't enjoy the day, if you even finish it.

OldnSlow

Postby OldnSlow » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks Jules

I am under no illusions that I will do the ride in 11hrs, it may well be the whole 13 (fingers crossed for NOT) or that I will not finish at all (fingers and toes crossed for NOT), training will certainly give me a better guide but nothing will be like the real thing unless it is the real thing. I will be undertaking longer rides with as many hills in it as possible, this will ultimately determine if I try for 3peaks but at this stage it is my main focus for my cycling and I sort of posed the question knowing that most resposes would not really help with an answer as everyone is different and some people excel at flats and others at hills, distances or sprints but I am interested in how other people fared even knowing that I may not fit their criteria.

cheers.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:56 pm

OldnSlow wrote:everyone is different and some people excel at flats and others at hills, distances or sprints
it's not so much that everyone is different, as that the same person will perform differently, depending on their preparation. this makes "how hard is ride X?" questions redundant.

i've done the audax rides 200-250km a few times and their difficulty varied wildly with the quality of my preparation. so the answer is - start preparing and see how you're travelling as you progress.

BTW good on you for considering it, my advice would be to make it a goal and start working towards it. if you don't prepare sufficiently, there's no major penalty (other than maybe the entry fee).

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:22 pm

im in the same boat, havent done any ATB's and just a general road cyclist. but i am aiming to just finish this event next year, theres no shame in walking some hills isnt there? ;-)

OldnSlow

Postby OldnSlow » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:55 am

Good question Zakka101

For me I aim to just get around the course, survive to live and ride another day so If I have to take more breaks, walk a bit, maybe even sit and cry then I will do it, as long as I mount up and go again and try and finish.

I have already started incorporating rides with hills (Lucky I live near the Dandenong's), loving the fact I see heaps of riders out on the weekends, I do most of my normal riding to work and back so that is quite refreshing. Training Training Training, I'm putting my name down for any of the longer organised rides, ATB, Kinglake etc etc hoping this will make 3peaks bearable and most importantly DOABLE

I love the climbing cyclist http://www.theclimbingcyclist.com web site and Ridewiser have a pdf that is good reading as well if you have not seen them before http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/media/ ... 202011.pdf

Cheers

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:33 pm

rode kinglake today. was unreal. had picked up a 2011 oppy team for 1700 which rode like a dream, my first ride on it and tackled kinglake.
after today i cannot wait to get back up there and do repeats.
bring on 3 peaks!

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:01 pm

so how has everyone been travelling? riding hard through the winter months?
over june-present ive covered 1132.3ks and climbed over 7500m. pretty happy with where i am at considering my hours of work + travel. loving it!
have noticed big gains in fitness. even knocked off a minute off my kinglake climb time yesterday. stoked as!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:23 pm

great work zakka. you will be well prepared if you keep that up!

Brettlikes2ride

Postby Brettlikes2ride » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Good Job Zakka,
I've been struggling to just keep on the bike over winter, few weeks on then a week or 2 off so finding it hard to get any consistency with my fitness, i'd love to tackle the 3 peaks someday but think its a ways off, you would want to be zooming up and down kinglake with ease from what i have read before you even consider the 3 peaks, everything i've read is it's brutal.
Great goal to train for though, enjoy
2011 Pinarello FPquattro
2009 Giant Defy1 (spare bike now)

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:41 pm

im riding kinglake again this weekend, will have to see how i fair. have been doing a fair bit of trail running/MTB lately so hopefully will be feeling good. see if i can get some more time off kinglake climb!
all i need now is a riding buddy!

SteveF

Postby SteveF » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Interesting question and yes it is hard to answer because of your preparartion.

I did 3Peaks this year and ATB last year. ATB 210 klm was 7 hours riding time and 9hrs total time, the ferry crossing took about 1 hour but had to wait 45mins for the ferry to arrive and is too long a rest for me. 3Peaks was 10 hours riding time and 11 hourstotal time. I had significant hill training and other rides between ATB and 3Peaks so I was much fitter for 3Peaks.

If 3peaks was rated as a 10 then ATB would be a 4. Only rollers in ATB and easy to find cover in the large groups. 3peaks has the distance and the significant climb of Hotham and then after 200klms you hit the back of Falls which has avery tough 10klms until you reach trapyard gap.

To do 3peaks you need to incorporate endurance and hill climbing together and make sure you practice your hydration and energy intake because if you get them wrong the back of Falls will kill you.

Great challenge and a great achievement to finish but also a fantastic bike ride. Do the work and you'll be fine.

kosh

Postby kosh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Recommend you do Noojee - Mt Baw Baw - Noojee at least once as part of your training. Not only is it a great ride, it's the only one that'll prepare you for the Back o'Falls climb.

mthomas2012

Postby mthomas2012 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:22 am

Can someone tell me how strictly enforced are the cut off times. I'm considering the 3P in 2014 but don't fancy my chances of completing it in 13 hours. Do they really force you off the ride if you don't make the intermediate times? Can they actually do that, on what is essentially a public road?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:20 am

they can't force you off public roads. i haven't done 3P, but i believe some of the roads are closed to traffic for the event. if they are trying to open them up to traffic again, then they can't stop you being part of the traffic.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:20 am

Why not try the alpine classic first? maybe the 200. I think one of the main issues with the TP can be the weather at that time of year. Even if it's fine the descents and tops can be brutal.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:09 pm

mthomas2012 wrote:Can someone tell me how strictly enforced are the cut off times. I'm considering the 3P in 2014 but don't fancy my chances of completing it in 13 hours. Do they really force you off the ride if you don't make the intermediate times? Can they actually do that, on what is essentially a public road?
There is the practical issue of climbing Back of Falls in the dark. Sunset is at 1938 (Daylight saving time) and the ride starts at 0645. So after 13 hours the sun will be setting and it will be getting dark. If you take substantially longer it will be completely dark and there are no street lights so it will be pitch black. And I'm guessing you won't be carrying your Ayups.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

grnis200

Postby grnis200 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:28 pm

KenGS wrote:
mthomas2012 wrote:Can someone tell me how strictly enforced are the cut off times. I'm considering the 3P in 2014 but don't fancy my chances of completing it in 13 hours. Do they really force you off the ride if you don't make the intermediate times? Can they actually do that, on what is essentially a public road?
There is the practical issue of climbing Back of Falls in the dark. Sunset is at 1938 (Daylight saving time) and the ride starts at 0645. So after 13 hours the sun will be setting and it will be getting dark. If you take substantially longer it will be completely dark and there are no street lights so it will be pitch black. And I'm guessing you won't be carrying your Ayups.
I did 2011 with my Ayups...
Weekends: Giant TCR Advanced SL1 - Full carbon, Dura-ace, Custom 50mm tubulars
Commute: Giant TCR Alliance 1 - Carbon / Alloy Frame, full Ultegra G/set, Dura-ace 24mm CL rims, AYUP lights

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:04 am

grnis200 wrote:
KenGS wrote:
I did 2011 with my Ayups...
Someone please clarify this for me: is there some reason why it's bad to be using AyUps during this ride?

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:19 am

VRE wrote: Someone please clarify this for me: is there some reason why it's bad to be using AyUps during this ride?
If you're doing the 250 you have to have lights. There is no guidelines as to what type. Although a miners oil lamp might not pass muster but i'm sure any working bike light will be fine.

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:47 pm

jimsheedy wrote:
VRE wrote: Someone please clarify this for me: is there some reason why it's bad to be using AyUps during this ride?
If you're doing the 250 you have to have lights. There is no guidelines as to what type. Although a miners oil lamp might not pass muster but i'm sure any working bike light will be fine.
I should have been clearer in my post. My comment related to the last sentence of KenGS' comment:
KenGS wrote:There is the practical issue of climbing Back of Falls in the dark. Sunset is at 1938 (Daylight saving time) and the ride starts at 0645. So after 13 hours the sun will be setting and it will be getting dark. If you take substantially longer it will be completely dark and there are no street lights so it will be pitch black. And I'm guessing you won't be carrying your Ayups.
He seemed to be implying that using AyUps on this ride is not ideal? Or perhaps I misunderstood? For what it's worth, I just bought an AyUps light set specifically to use in next January's ACE250, and I'm very happy with their battery life and brightness :) .

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:33 pm

VRE wrote:
jimsheedy wrote:
I should have been clearer in my post. My comment related to the last sentence of KenGS' comment:
KenGS wrote:There is the practical issue of climbing Back of Falls in the dark. Sunset is at 1938 (Daylight saving time) and the ride starts at 0645. So after 13 hours the sun will be setting and it will be getting dark. If you take substantially longer it will be completely dark and there are no street lights so it will be pitch black. And I'm guessing you won't be carrying your Ayups.
He seemed to be implying that using AyUps on this ride is not ideal? Or perhaps I misunderstood? For what it's worth, I just bought an AyUps light set specifically to use in next January's ACE250, and I'm very happy with their battery life and brightness :) .
You definitely need light but many people would be trying to keep the weight down due to the climbing required up Hotham and Back of Falls. If you have good lights and are willing to accept the weight penalty that's good.
I was hoping to avoid the more heavy handed advice about continuing on after the cutoff but here goes:
The Back of Falls road is closed to the public for the event until 8pm so they can stop you going up there during that time.
If you are taking part in the event you've signed up to the terms and conditions that specifies the cutoffs
Riding on is potentially a serious issue for BNV as it may jeopardise their receiving permission to run the event in future and could also hamper Audax in their running of the ACE250.
If you are outside the cutoff I would strongly recommend taking the sagwagon
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:45 pm

KenGS wrote:Riding on is potentially a serious issue for BNV as it may jeopardise their receiving permission to run the event in future and could also hamper Audax in their running of the ACE250.
i don't mean to be argumentative Ken (i'm not racist, but..), but i find it hard to understand how riding on a road after the nominal cut-off time, an activity which is entirely legal, can be a 'serious issue'. having said that, if you can't finish within the cut-off times you're probably not in good enough shape to enjoy the event, so i wouldn't encourage it.