Wheel Upgrade "Advice Needed :)"

MarkG

Re: Wheel Upgrade "Advice Needed :)"

Postby MarkG » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:39 pm

They look like Chinese made crap that trade off the established brand Edge / Enve.
There are a lot of spokes in that wheel to weigh only 1400g.
Last edited by MarkG on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:37 pm

_mike_ wrote:My stelvios (30mm rim / same hubs as the bracc's)have been going strong for ~2.5 yrs & ~10000km. Initially I had a lot of creaking but a very small amount of tightening of the spokes cured this. They've strayed relatively true but now developed a very small amount of play in the rear bearings which is not something to complain about giving there age. I went from R500's to the stelvios and the ride became MUCH smoother. The drop in weight of the rims (and tyres) was also very apparent accelerating. Was happy with my purchase.

Today i swapped them out for some new RS80's on a lap around the block (they weren't mine) and liked them, but remember comparing a new to used wheel. I liked the finish & will be ordering a pair of these eventually. You can buy them ~$450 delivered from the uk, from memory they were more than that ~2.5yrs ago
Its very simple to replace the bearings in the Stelvio/Bracciano hub - a fresh set should have them back to that "new" feeling.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:14 pm

trippyho wrote:Anyone know anything about EDGE roadwheels? http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/edge- ... /WWS-XR200 Came across them and they weigh in at 1380g and only for $220. Are they decent? Or too good to be true?
They build off very light rims. The rims (on average) weigh 383g, some of the lightest in the industry. They are made from standard parts from established companies.
MarkG wrote:They look like Chinese made crap that trade off the established brand Edge / Enve.
There are a lot of spokes in that wheel to weigh only 1400g.
again, the spokes they use are sapim race, which are a decent weight (these rims build to ~1200g wheels when built with CX-Ray) and the rims are very light. They are made by edge, which is a separate company to Enve. "Edge Composites" (Enve) had to change its name to Enve when it wanted to enter Europe because the company "Edge" was already taken. (or something like that, I researched this a while back so I can't remember it too clearly)

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:20 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
_mike_ wrote:My stelvios (30mm rim / same hubs as the bracc's)have been going strong for ~2.5 yrs & ~10000km. Initially I had a lot of creaking but a very small amount of tightening of the spokes cured this. They've strayed relatively true but now developed a very small amount of play in the rear bearings which is not something to complain about giving there age. I went from R500's to the stelvios and the ride became MUCH smoother. The drop in weight of the rims (and tyres) was also very apparent accelerating. Was happy with my purchase.

Today i swapped them out for some new RS80's on a lap around the block (they weren't mine) and liked them, but remember comparing a new to used wheel. I liked the finish & will be ordering a pair of these eventually. You can buy them ~$450 delivered from the uk, from memory they were more than that ~2.5yrs ago
Its very simple to replace the bearings in the Stelvio/Bracciano hub - a fresh set should have them back to that "new" feeling.
thanks deon

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:26 pm

Whats crap about those wheels?

-Very likely to be Kinlins XR200's used extensively throughout the bike industry? Must be crap?
-Sapim Race spokes, same again? Must be crap?
-Powerplay hubs, similar to novatechs, bitex you name it... again they must be crap.

:roll:

For the money they are a no brainer, but definitely for a lightweight, XR200's are flexy.
I built a 28/32 wheelset with XR200's and DT rev's = 1400g

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Crawf wrote:Whats crap about those wheels?

-Very likely to be Kinlins XR200's used extensively throughout the bike industry? Must be crap?
-Sapim Race spokes, same again? Must be crap?
-Powerplay hubs, similar to novatechs, bitex you name it... again they must be crap.

:roll:

For the money they are a no brainer, but definitely for a lightweight, XR200's are flexy.
I built a 28/32 wheelset with XR200's and DT rev's = 1400g
Finally, someone who knows a bit about the non-mainstream brands.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Go for some Fulcrum Race 3's if you got the money. Very sturdy and light wheels for the price and they roll so well ! :)

I got some for $420 from Torpedo 7 when they were on sale.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:25 pm

I got some 2013 Racing 3 from Merlin for $450 last week. Delivered in just over a week.

trippyho

Postby trippyho » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:20 pm

$420 for the fulcrum 3 is really good. Heard quiet a bit about this wheel set. Is it really that good? Say over the prolite Bracciano?

Also will I feel a big difference upgrading from the Shimano r500?

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:39 pm

Yes and yes (IMHO)

jacks1071

Re: Wheel Upgrade

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:24 am

trippyho wrote:$420 for the fulcrum 3 is really good. Heard quiet a bit about this wheel set. Is it really that good? Say over the prolite Bracciano?

Both good products, and either would be a significant step up from r500's in terms of performance.

Have a read of this review which might help your decision. Please note the Fulcrum represented in the review is the Zero which you would expect to be better than the Fulcrum 3.

http://2011.pro-lite.net/images/stories ... wheels.pdf
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

trippyho

Postby trippyho » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:27 am

Finding it hard to choose between the Prolite Braccianos and Fulcrum Racing 3.

Reviews for both wheels are good, but the Bracciano weighs a few grams less than the Racing 3 and $30 cheaper. But theFulcrum does look a lot better. So I guess it really comes down to, should I go for the heavier nicer looking wheel? or the lighter but not so good looking wheel?

Dammit! So hard to choose...

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:10 am

In the end you've got to be 100% happy mate as you're the one that will be looking at them everyday!
The 2013 Fulcrum 3 have a nice white hub!

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 am

If you're considering Fulcrum 3's the Campy Zondas are also worth considering as they are essentially the same but with a different spoke design. I scored some off Wiggle a while ago for $340 delivered. Have been fantastic so far. The G3 rear spoke design is a love hate thing though. I personally like the look.
Bikes Bikes Bikes

delazy

Postby delazy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:53 pm

my Bracciano's arrived today...if anything i think they look HEAPS better in person than in photos...absolutely stoked with them, but they arent on the bike and wont be for awhile yet (groupset/wheels/other goodies at once)

thanks to alex/deon for the quick service, they arrived in tassie from mackay in just over a week...pretty respectable :)

trippyho

Postby trippyho » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 pm

delazy wrote:my Bracciano's arrived today...if anything i think they look HEAPS better in person than in photos...absolutely stoked with them, but they arent on the bike and wont be for awhile yet (groupset/wheels/other goodies at once)

thanks to alex/deon for the quick service, they arrived in tassie from mackay in just over a week...pretty respectable :)

Good to hear that the Braccianos look better in person :) Let me know how it goes if you do try them out in the next few days...

For me it's definitely between the Braciannos and Fulcrum Racing 3. I guess I have a few days till my next pay to decide which one to go for :)

colaiacw

Postby colaiacw » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:45 am

I also bought a set of the Pro-Lite Bracciano’s. They replaced my stock alex rims with 105 hubs and I am very happy with them. They look good feel much more comfortable and also faster/lighter. I was considering many other wheel sets before deciding on the Pro-Lites, including the Fulcrum series right up to the zeros.

I own a set of Dura Ace C50 clinchers and Mavic Carbone SL’s and the hubs on the Bracciano’s feel just as good if not better. Happy Riding.
Merida Scultura Evo 909 Full Dura Ace (Weekender) & Merida HFS 904 Com Full Ultegra (Trainer)

When you feel yourself struggling up a hill, just get over it!

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:13 pm

MarkG wrote:I got some 2013 Racing 3 from Merlin for $450 last week. Delivered in just over a week.

Keen on a set of these, the red on the 2012 model is stopping me from getting those. Did they post to Oz for free?

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:02 pm

I think $20..but quick as via tnt air freight.

Chillibones

Postby Chillibones » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:37 pm

I just bought a set of Shimano WH-RS30 for $199 from Torpedo7.

Not super light but looks like a great wheel for a great price. Looking forward to getting them.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Chillibones wrote:I just bought a set of Shimano WH-RS30 for $199 from Torpedo7.

Not super light but looks like a great wheel for a great price. Looking forward to getting them.
I've got them for my weekend wheels. not much to compare then against - they are lighter than my pro-lite como's and don't really know how to compare them to the rs-10s as they had different tyres on them

toppity

Postby toppity » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:04 am

If you are going to pay over $400, then perhaps consider the Shimano RS80 low profile. I've had a set of these for 2 years now and still love them. I've tried a fair few wheels now, and of all my wheels they are by far the best value for money. I'm a big bloke and never had trouble with them (over 10k kms on them now).
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:42 am

jacks1071 wrote:
trippyho wrote:$420 for the fulcrum 3 is really good. Heard quiet a bit about this wheel set. Is it really that good? Say over the prolite Bracciano?

Both good products, and either would be a significant step up from r500's in terms of performance.

Have a read of this review which might help your decision. Please note the Fulcrum represented in the review is the Zero which you would expect to be better than the Fulcrum 3.

http://2011.pro-lite.net/images/stories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... wheels.pdf
After reading this article I thought the Braccianos were by far the best buy over the others tested.

After 2500km I certainly haven't been disappointed with them. However, I can't comment on the others as I have never ridden them. I can say that the Braccianos are streets ahead of the Mavic Equipes I had on my bike before.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

trippyho

Postby trippyho » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:45 am

For anyone interested I ended up getting the Fulcrum Racing 3 over the Pro Lites a couple of weeks back from Torpedo7.

So far after riding the bike a few times, I have noticed a big upgrade in performance coming from the Shimano R500 stock wheels that came with my bike. The upgrade was well worth it and very noticeable. The wheels roll better and feels quicker, especially off the mark and it's very responsive.

With these wheels I can also maintain a faster / harder gear for longer, and now averaging an extra 5km on my usual training average speed. So overall I am very happy with the wheel upgrade...

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:22 pm

trippyho wrote:...and now averaging an extra 5km on my usual training average speed...
Wow. That's amazing. I'd have to get a 'bent to get an extra 5Km/h. I don't think I could even get that much extra on a TT bike.