All Bicycles signage (NSW)

bychosis

All Bicycles signage (NSW)

Postby bychosis » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:46 am

Recently I have noticed some "All Bicycles" signage on local roads directing bikes to a pathway off the road. Some may have been there for a while but a couple are near new works.

As some of the signs I have seen point bikes to a footpath area, or a direction I don't want to go are they a guide, or mandatory for me to use that route? I have had a bit of a google this morning and so far only found in the RTA NSW bicycles guidelines http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=55616 notes them as a guidance sign.

If they are mandatory I will approach the local council and ask that they either remove some or do some further upgrade works so that the path/route is more appropriate.
If they are a guidance sign then surely it is indicating to motorists that bikes should not be on the roads in these areas and a more appropriate sign is required.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Re: All Bicycles signage (NSW)

Postby find_bruce » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:25 am

Goya pic bychosis ? I am not aware of any such sign in the road rules.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:47 am

A few of these signs have started to appear in Victoria, and they are basically the standard white rectangular Bicycle sign with an arrow pointing at a bike path, and the words All Bicycles.

In one area where I ride it takes you off the road onto a bicycle path covered in grass clippings and broken branches, I used it once, only to have to dismount to get back on the road to avoid a large amount of debris, and have ignored it since.

I’m not aware of what penalties, if any, are in place for ignoring such signs.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:35 am

Got a Maps reference please Tom?
Never seen one, don't want to. Even if enshrined in legislation I bet the word "practicable" still applies. Pity the word "all" sort of indicates to some road users that there shall be no alternative: "Giddorfa moi roaddd! Carncher seeda edited sign yer colloquial cigarette?"
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Pictures please
2012 Oppy A4

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:13 pm

I'm sorry the sign is not real clear, other than jumping in my car and taking an actual photo this is the best I could manage.

As you can see the path becomes rather narrow due to being overgrown with grass on one side.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Here yer are Tom. GMap link.

Three into two lanes, hmmm. What's the speed limit and is it likely to be obeyed?
Agree that the council should be doing something about regular maintenance on that path.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:39 pm

That section is 80 km per hour, and yes most drivers do tend to go a bit quicker.

This section is just a few km further on and it is 100 km per hour :shock: , and that is where a truck forced me off the road.
As you can see little or no verge, and nowhere to go other than into the scrub on the side of the road.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:37 pm

The sign pic above is the one. Tom I'm sure I'd be happy to use that path on MTB, but if its covered in debris then its not a roadie path.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl King St, approaching Walker St, Warners Bay NSW is one. This one puts cyclists up on the footpath, then doesn't really end. When you get to the road again there is an old pram ramp and some significant shoving on the shoulder creating a dip to bump transition which wasn't fun on my roadie the other day, think it caused a flat. I used it to avoid a narrow section of shoulder, I have done this plenty of times before on the MTB with no issues (can bunny hop the dip/bump)

Another I noticed was descending Hillsborough Rd approaching King St, there is a new section of asphalt linking the road to a path along King St, but it's no good if you are going straight ahaed or right as it sends you left and onto what appears to be a footpath.

Happy to use these sections on MTB, or slower days but they dont suit a commuter on a roadie.

If they are intended as a guide then the sign should not be 'all bicycles' as it leads to the 'get off my road' rage that is all to common anyway, maybe just 'bicycles' and arrow. If they are mandatory signs then the RTA/Council should only install where a roadie will comfortably ride and where there is no choice in direction such as turning you left at a roundabout where there is a clearly marked bike lane straight ahead.

There is an example on Main Rd Cardiff the deviates bikes to a path under the train bridge, narrow section of road, good on-off ramps. It s a good sensible safe deviation that you'd be mad not to take unless you are going the same speed as the traffic (50 to 60+km/h). It is also signed with an exit/end point.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:02 pm

there's one near me at a fork in the shared path. it says "all bikes" to the right, but i wanna go left! guess which way i go? :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:30 pm

I'm away from home this week, sans bike :( , but noticed along the cycle way here in Toowoomba the signs are actually 'ALT BICYCLE' to direct you to bypass the intersection on the 'footpath' if you so choose. Seems to make more sense than ALL BICYCLES. Although I'm going to have to double check my reading skills when I get home to see if they are ALL and not ALT :?

maestro

Postby maestro » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:48 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:Image
I'm sorry the sign is not real clear, other than jumping in my car and taking an actual photo this is the best I could manage.

As you can see the path becomes rather narrow due to being overgrown with grass on one side.
The signage and road markings do not comply with the road rules for defining a shared path.

The signage and road markings do not comply with the road rules for defining a bicycle path.

My strict interpretation of the road rules is that you are not permitted to ride on the path here and must ride on the road (based on NSW road rules 239(4) and 242(2) and I believe that these are consistent with the national rules)

That's my interpretation, anyway.