Uniglide/Hyperglide free hub swap.

Wazza

Uniglide/Hyperglide free hub swap.

Postby Wazza » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:44 pm

Has anyone swapped a uniglide free hub for a hyperglide on Shimano 600 hubs? (model 6400). I have looked on the net and can't find out if it is possible.
Thanks in advance
Wazza
Wazza

mclala

Re: Uniglide/Hyperglide free hub swap.

Postby mclala » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:45 pm

It might be depends on how early a 600 hub it is. I have one that is not compatible.

Sheldon has some good info here http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giant Defy Composite 3

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks Mclala, I looked at that page but.... :oops:
Wazza

DJIntegr8

Postby DJIntegr8 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:07 pm

I've done it on a 105 (FH-1051) hub as a test, yet to put into practice on a built-up hub (to go on my commuter after winter). Used a new STX-RC 7-speed hub as I want to keep the 126mm spacing. Then swapped in the HG seals from a pitted FH-1056 hub I got cheap on eBay.

Brendan

mclala

Postby mclala » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Ahh yes I do understand the dilema not always the easiest to understand . . .

I think the key piece for me was understanding what the one that doesn't work looks like and then by elimination everything else must be OK :)

From here http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#uniglide-old" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the piece of text and if you look at the picture it kind of makes sense . . .
The earliest Shimano Freehubs, however, used a more primitive construction. There was a set of splines to keep the body from rotating on the hub shell, but instead of a hollow bolt to secure the body to the shell, there was a smooth cylindrical projection past the splines, and the corresponding Freehub body was a slip fit over this projection.
And that was exactly what I had so I can't do the swap if our hub is different I would make the assumption that the swap should be possible. Always the backup of take to the LBS and get their advice.
Giant Defy Composite 3