From one who lives here

Tassiecelt

From one who lives here

Postby Tassiecelt » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:12 am

I live here, I ride and I don't think Tasmanians are small minded, they are most often warm and friendly, always willing to help. Sure there are idiots (Especially on he roads) but no more than anywhere else.

Admittedly, Tasmania is behind the other states in creating cyclepaths, but we have quiet roads and some of the most stunning scenery in Australia.

I live on the NW coast, there are miles of coastal roads hugging the ocean with view unobstructed by high rise buildings. The Table Cape circuit is breathtaking.
Burnie, Ulverstone and Devonport have all had new sections of bike paths constructed in recent years.
The east coast provides fantastic touring, and Hobart has miles of cycle paths both sides of the Derwent River.

As one said, the economy is suffering, but when we get a change of government I am confident that will improve.
However, no government can change the beauty of this place, the clean air and water, the unhurried lifestyle.

I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thecaptn

Re: From one who lives here

Postby thecaptn » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Alot of us mainlanders are envious of you folk down there. Our economies may have been more boyant than yours for years but that's been at the expense of development. Governments boost ecconomies by stimulating consumption and consumption means more people buying more stuff. More houses, housing estates, roads, freeways, power lines, cars, plastic toys, macdonalds, disposable nappies, fridges, plasma tv's etc. This results in people putting more things on credit, longer working hours, time spent in traffic, poorer health and stress. I'm sure there's a happy medium but I'm equally sure that no government would ever seek it. Of those of us who love Tassie I bet the vast majority of us hope that you can have your healthy economy without destroying those thing's that make you great.

When you say that "no government could ever change the beauty of the place" I'd say that's exactly all they can do.

Gordo

Postby Gordo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:21 pm

the table cape circuit is good. but sure stunk of onions last time i rode it.

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:35 pm

thecaptn wrote:Alot of us mainlanders are envious of you folk down there.
and a bigger lot of mainlanders have only a vague idea of where this place is. Until just a few years ago, I was in this huge group of Australians. My thoughts on Tasmania were " Melbourne weather is lousy, Tasmania is closer to the Antarctic, so it must be worse than Melbourne." Avoid it ,I told myself.

I now live here in spring, summer, and autumn, returning to Qld each winter. I find mainlanders usually know little about Tasmania, have never been here, and some vaguely think that they might visit "one day".

The fact that Tasmanian weather reports frequently report the low temperature at Liawenee, and its affect on the two people who live there, gives a warped impression.

If you like cold, go to the Highlands, If you want wet, go west. If you like mild, try the east.

I will let you in on a good secret:-

Tasmania :D

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:58 pm

In addition to all of the natural advantages that Tassie has, one of the major selling points for me when I moved down was the affordability of the place. I finished Uni in 2002, buggered off overseas for the next eight years and then decided it was time to come home. I'm originally from Melbourne but when I was looking to come back, as I'm not a mining engineer or a doctor of finance, the only way I was going to be able to afford to live in virtually all of the mainland capitals was to either pay through the teeth for a rental in a location with reasonable transport connections, or to live in some car dependent satellite suburb. As I'd visited Tassie several times and loved the place, the quality of living I could get for a very reasonable amount of money made the choice easy.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

skull

Postby skull » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Unfortunately the tassie economy has tanked and there is Bugger all employment. Or the pay rates are low.

The reason I left was lack of work as an IT consultant with a big 4 firm. Moved to the mainland and close to tripled my salary.

Miss the place and the people, but I now live in the ACT so no lack of riding here.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:28 pm

skull wrote:Unfortunately the tassie economy has tanked and there is Bugger all employment. Or the pay rates are low.

The reason I left was lack of work as an IT consultant with a big 4 firm. Moved to the mainland and close to tripled my salary.

Miss the place and the people, but I now live in the ACT so no lack of riding here.
I definitely agree about the pay rates! When friends visit from the mainland, we often discuss pay, realestate, employment opportunities etc. Its the old debate $$ vs lifestyle factor. In brisbane I earned ALOT more, however I paid more too, not just in $$ in time as well. My wife and I made the decision that time is more important that $$ and made the move.

I think anyone moving here needs to be VERY aware where their $$ is coming from. In my expertise, I see 1 job every 6 months advertised here, in brisbane there was 20 last month. But if you can make it here, its definitely worth it!

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:30 pm

I tried Tassie for the first 22 years of my life. Personal thoughts were that it sucked big time so got out and didn't regret it. Go back? Never gunna happen. But that's just me.

Someone said most mainlanders don't know where Tassie is? here's the rub: most Tasmanians seem unable to get to an airport to see what the rest of the world looks like!

A trip back to see my family a little while back only consolidated my opinions. But like I said, that's just me. Hope the weather is nice in Hobart when I'm there next week.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:22 pm

I summer holidayed there a couple of years ago and loved the place - so beautiful, I must go back with a bike. But obviously this is not the perspective of someone who lives there, state of economy, etc.

Overcast days didn't worry me but I am a Melbourner!

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:01 pm

So I can't stand the place where I grew up either (Darwin) and I'll never live there again. Couldn't stand the oppressive climate just to start.

But some of us grow weary of life in the big smoke and yearn for something with all the amenity but at a gentler pace. Hobart fits the hill perfectly for me.

And the landscapes are very soothing and restful, even in the city.

I've been a regular visitor to Tassie for almost 10 years, and will move there when the numbers line up for me.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:36 pm

Yeh the numbers lined up for us a bit over 3 years ago and we haven't regretted it for a second. After 50+ years living in sub/ tropics the climate is fantastic, and after 25 years on the Gold Coast the lack of ratrace is even better. Then there's the scenery...

If anyone thinks that a change of government is going to make any difference to the economy though they haven't seen the opposition, neither side of politics has a clue. You make your own way in the conditions with which you're presented.

Hang on, I didn't mean any of that, it's horrible down here, and we're full, too.

Cheers
JM