Popular Bike Shops
Join the Cycling Forums on Strava
Australian Cycling Forums on Strava
Latest Reviews and Articles
Will your next bike be Intelligent? ABS and Smart Bike Tech
Vitus Vitesse EVO Disc Review – Speed Machine indeed!
- Posts: 50
- Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:21 pm
I was doing a bit of trial fit yesterday & noticed that the steerer tube is quite short & has only 30mm of clamp area when it comes thru the top of the headtube.
my stem is 40mm stack height so this leaves the steerer tube sitting 10mm below the top of the stem.
The stem is a 2 bolt stem & the top bolt isn't able to clamp onto the steerer tube at all because its so short.
To me this is far from ideal & i cannot see how even a shorter stack stem will work.
The frame uses a integrated headset.
besides getting a new fork, is there anything i can do?
Im thinking of returning the frame, but would like to keep it if I can.
- Mulger bill
- Super Mod
- Posts: 28904
- Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
- Location: Sunbury Vic
London Boy 29/12/2011
- Posts: 3489
- Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:39 pm
the question, as you've correctly surmised, is more about the depth of the stem clamp area, and short of finding another stem with less height I would not build or ride that bike.
A stem should be about 3mm proud of the steerer, or as some manufacturers claim in their warranty docs, you should be able to use a 5mm spacer above the stem to ensure against crushing. With the second bolt of a two bolt stem being above the steerer you face unacceptable risk IMO.
- Posts: 8483
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
- Location: Sydney
- Posts: 10331
- Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 pm
- Location: deep in the pain cave
- Posts: 997
- Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:03 pm
- Location: Gold Coast (nth)
This could be an option to gain some height: http://metallicpoutine.com/headset-bearing-covers/v-1-1/
- General Australian Cycling Topics
- Info / announcements
- Buying a bike / parts
- General Cycling Discussion
- The Bike Shed
- Cycling Health
- Cycling Safety and Advocacy
- Women's Cycling
- Bike & Gear Reviews
- Cycling Trade
- Stolen Bikes
- Bicycle FAQs
- Serious Biking
- Audax / Randonneuring
- Retro biking
- Fixed Gear/ Single Speed
- Electric Bicycles
- Dragsters / Lowriders / Cruisers
- Children's Bikes
- Road Racing
- Road Biking
- Time Trial
- International and National Tours and Events
- Cycle Touring
- Touring Australia
- Touring Overseas
- Touring Bikes and Equipment
- Western Australia
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
- Country & Regional
- The Market Place
- Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales
- Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap
- My Bikes or Gear Elsewhere
- Cycling Brands
- Malvern Star
- Custom Builders
- Generic Carbon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users