knocking sound from rear brakes

stated

knocking sound from rear brakes

Postby stated » Sun May 18, 2008 11:51 pm

So one of my rear pads were massively out of tow (thanks to a fu#(AT)%^up service by the bike shop), took the adjustable shifter and bended the caliper until the pad seemed good, but now there is some knocking sound and they don't seem to stop too good (probably because they are Fibrax instead of the original 105s), should I not have bend the 105 caliper or is that fine?

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Mon May 19, 2008 12:19 am

Dont think its a good idea to bend the caliper, toe adjustment is done by loosening the nut holding the brake pad to the caliper, placing a piece of card at the back end of th pad, squeezing the brakes and tightening the nut.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Mon May 19, 2008 8:11 am

Knocking sound could be from a fault, buckle or dent in the rim

stated

Postby stated » Mon May 19, 2008 8:28 pm

I am now thinking its the rear wheel hub it kind of makes the noise but its amplified when using the brake, the rear wheel isn't spinning freely. The rear gears stuffed up today and when I came home and tried to adjust...the cable snapped at the sti lever. Not good as I run out of warranty for the bike.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 20, 2008 1:24 am

Does the sound get quicker as your ride faster. My guess is that your rim / wheel needs to be trued / straightened.

I think it is important that if you just got your bike serviced and don't think it was up to scratch, chat with the mechanics. I do it and find that if you are fair and calm then you usually get a good result, infact most of the jobs are so quick and simple that I am welcomed into the workshop and can learn a thing or two.

If you are still not happy with your bike shop it is probably a good time to look for a new one. Get a quote for a general service incl. truing wheels and setting up your gears and brakes properly. One the one hand you will have a service fee, on the other hand peace of mind knowing that everything is set up correctly.
Cycling is in my BNA

stated

Postby stated » Tue May 20, 2008 9:38 am

I told the shop to true the wheels (they were a bit out of true)so I assume they did, and neither wheel is out of true at the moment. When I went and picked up the bike I spun the wheels to see if they were true and the bike wheel only rotated less than one revolution I looked at it closely and saw one of the new pads they put in was massively out of toe and rubbing the wheel, I told the person that gave me the bike and he goes brings a multi tool and unscrews the pad and screws it back on and says here you go. Was somewhat happy assumed he fixed it, got back home and its not fixed at all. funny I've spent like 1.5k there and thats how they treat me. I was thinking of going back to them but thought its 2+ hours my time and $10 in transport so.. btw I don't even think they lubed the chain, the gears were not shifting properly a few days after the service. Never mind as I expected this sort of poor service and bike quality for the price I paid, I will need a new lbs now, a good one. :lol:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 20, 2008 7:32 pm

I personally would go back, make it clear that you had and paid for a service to address these issues and the bike is not yet in proper working order. As I said, if you are friendly and calm you should achieve a much better result that it is becomes tense.

Are you on a racer? If so, I had a recent issue where the dropots are a little bent and it means that sliding the back wheel in needs a bit of fine tuning in order to get it positioned straight (both front to back as with top to bottom ie. X and Y axis of the wheel). This means that a wheel may be trued though because it isn't sitting properly in the dropouts it doesn't spin properly. At least that might explain why the wheel didn't spin freely originally.

On the otherhand, there are bad apples out there who often fail to realise that good service is an important part of business. If all else fails then you have the chance to find a good bike shop which you feel comfortable with.
Cycling is in my BNA

stated

Postby stated » Tue May 20, 2008 8:03 pm

Went to a bike shop in Parramatta (Blackman Bicycles) and they fixed the snapped cable(apparently if it was jammed in it would have been expensive repair) so the gears are working good again, I told him about the rear wheel, he took it out told me it is loose then adjusted it with a couple of cone spanners and its now spinning forever :)
As for the knocking sound, it is still there, I suspect the pad needs more adjustment or I did some damage to the caliper when I bended it with the shifter
Apparently the mechanic said the outer gear cable used originally is a brake cable and so its not as stiff.
And while I was there I got them t install a new cluster and chain and clean the front rings and jocky wheels
I don't know, if the idiots don't think a properly adjusted brake is important to their customers then what does that say about them?

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue May 20, 2008 8:15 pm

Stated, poor service really sucks sorry to hear that. I would definitely go with what AUbicycles has suggested. They really have an obligation to return the bike in good working order otherwise what are they doing in the business.

Maybe a future alternative could be-

The head mechanic at ABC Liverpool is (from my limited knowledge) very personable and IMHO very good. I used to get my mtb serviced there and was always happy with the guys work and attitude towards me. He never treated me like I was "the guy with the crappy $300 dollar mtb" even though I was.
I think his name is Shane.
I don't get my bikes serviced there anymore only because I bought a bike from the Push Bike Factory at Campbelltown and I like the owner out there. Matt (the PBF owner) has looked after me so far and it's not far from work so is convenient to drop bikes off and pick them up after work.
Hope it all works out for the best.

Steve

stated

Postby stated » Tue May 20, 2008 8:58 pm

Ooops, just to clear thing up(I think my last sentence maybe unclear to the readers) I was not referring to Blackman Bicycles not adjusting the brakes but was referring to the bike shop that serviced my bike originally and left one of the rear pads out of toe.Will keep their name unmentioned for now but a few here might guess who I am talking about.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 20, 2008 10:31 pm

stated wrote:Will keep their name unmentioned for now but a few here might guess who I am talking about.
Yes, its better that way. To avoid angry shops picking a bone with me the best strategy is that the good shops get good mentions and are recommended frequently while the bad ones are forgotten and ever so slowly slide of the edge of the planet.