Hot foot

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
JessicaAlba

Hot foot

Postby JessicaAlba » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:54 pm

Did a quick search, but didn't find much on this topic.

Bought a pair of Specialized BG Elite shoes t'other day. Got a size larger than what fitted, based on research here and also advice at LBS, and walked away happy. All went well for Monday and Tuesday rides to and from work, then on the ride to footy training on Wednesday (about 30 mins), the ball of my left foot went to sleep, which I assumed to be this "hot foot" I had heard about. On the ride home after training, the two smallest toes on both feet went numb. I also noticed a slight numbing the next day during the work commute.

Am I correct with this self-diagnosis? And if so, what causes hot foot and how can it be cured? I chose this particular type of shoe over similarly priced Shimano's because research suggested Sp have integrated something into these shoes to prevent hot foot (as well as knee/ankle injury).

Can anyone advise or offer help with this problem? Is it something that improves as I wear the shoes in?

Cheers.
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

bosvit

Re: Hot foot

Postby bosvit » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:54 pm

Did they come with the BG (body geometry) footbeds?

I have suffered from hotfoot for a number of years and since I have changed to Specialized shoes with Specialized footbed inserts I have been able to increase my comfortable riding distance significantly.

Def worth checking out

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:46 pm

Yep, can confirm BG footbeds. These are them...received some pretty decnt reviews, which is why I asked for them specifically...

Just went for a short ride to the shops and back (25 mins) and whilst there was no strong feeling of numbness, I was certainly aware of being very close to that sensation.

Does seat height have anything to do with this problem? I just wonder, since I bought the new shoes (and incidentally didn't receive an updated fit up to the bike), if my foot and leg extension has been altered in any way... When the guy fitted my cleats (Shimano SPD-SL "yellow"), he set them so the screws are right at the front of the slots, explaining that this is the most effective positioning that he has found for those cleats. But again, he didn't set me up on the trainer to ensure everything was in place correctly, so I really have nfi.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Reviewed are meaningless when it comes to fit and comfort for the individual. We are all different. For a start, loosen the buckles.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:56 pm

Another for loosening buckles. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:26 pm

Numbness of itself is not hotfoot, excruciating pain is hot foot, or more commonly metatarsalgia, or if you're really lucky Morton's neuroma.

Hot foot is neurological and occurs when you compress your foot across the ball (too tight shoes, high heels etc) and impinge the nerve.

Numbness after a relatively short duration might indicate that your shoes are too tight, so loosen them as already mentioned, but may also that you are clenching your foot, so try to consciously wiggle your toes as you ride to keep circulation up, ankling also helps.

I suffer with Morton's neuroma, (at least I will for the next 4 weeks until they cut the nerve out) but can manage a few hours on the bike before experiencing pain if I can keep my toes wiggling and the straps loose.

Cheers

Grant

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:12 pm

hot foot sucks, I usually only get it after around 200km. But I just loosen the shoes a lot so my feet can get some air
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:20 am

Thanks for that advice all...I think I do tighten the shoes a fair bit, but only because I thought it was the done thing. I'll begin backing the straps right off and see where I get.

Cheers for the clarification too, Grant.

mrs slocombe's pussy

Postby mrs slocombe's pussy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:43 pm

hi there,

the usual practice is to position the cleat just behind the ball of your foot.....having them placed as forward as possible as your LBS has done sounds very strange. actually the most common solution to foot discomfort is to move the cleats back as far as they will go. perhaps have a look where your old cleats are positioned and try to replicate that.

other than that, try thinner socks or loosen the straps a bit just in case they are a bit too tight.

good luck!

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:09 pm

I have trouble with numb toes feet sometimes, the way i get around this is when i do up my shoes, i have the forward 2 velcro straps done up so there is absolutely no tension on them, then do up the back one so its snug.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:19 pm

I used to get a sore and numb-like right foot (just the outer of my foot, closer to my toes than my heel) and I ended up moving the cleat back so the ball of my foot was ever so slightly in frontof the spindle of the pedal....and it's been fine ever since.

When I go on longer rides I find after a while my toes get a little numb so I generally loosen the straps a little and try to wiggle my toes every now and again - which seems to work OK.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:10 pm

mrs slocombe's pussy wrote:hi there,

the usual practice is to position the cleat just behind the ball of your foot.....having them placed as forward as possible as your LBS has done sounds very strange. actually the most common solution to foot discomfort is to move the cleats back as far as they will go. perhaps have a look where your old cleats are positioned and try to replicate that.

other than that, try thinner socks or loosen the straps a bit just in case they are a bit too tight.

good luck!
Yeah sorry, a mix up in translation. I mentioned that the LBS guy had positioned the cleats so the screws are right at the front of the slots...meaning the cleats are set as far back as they will go, which I think is pretty much as you sugested, just behind the ball of my foot...

Have been riding with the straps less tight and can report a massive improvement in comfort. Went for a good long ride this morning and had no issues at all. Happy with that ! :)

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:42 am

Moving cleats back about 5mm and also moving the laces up a spot (leaving more room about the toes) reduced my hot foot issues which were occurring after only 10km of riding. Now I can ride ~40km before I have to stop and have a 30 minute break and take my shoes off.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:27 am

All of above works, loosen, wiggle, try & take the pressure off the ball by peddling in circles (pull up).
Another interesting point, my shoes came with a nice silicon pair of inners & a cheap loooking thin fabric spare pair.
The fancy inners give me hot foot after 50km, while the material ones are fine all day, another help is to buy specific thin socks, good luck.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:58 am

bg foot beds means nothing if they don't suit you as. What colour are they ? Do you have a high arch or a low arched foot ? I have high arches and tried their green ones and got numb feet they were too low for me. + 3 on the straps.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2