SRAM gruppo's and compatability

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

SRAM gruppo's and compatability

Postby gretaboy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:40 am

I currently have SRAM Force gruppo on my bike and am looking at getting replacement parts.

My big question is...with a front Force Derailleur can I change to an "SRAM Red Black BB30 Compact 10sp Chainset" crankset without any major issues?

No great reason for the change except price, current online discounts, and availability. Rest of gruppo is staying with Force.

And then, whats the difference between "SRAM Red Black BB30 Double 10sp Chainset" and "SRAM Red Black BB30 Compact 10sp Chainset"

Any help, advice or suggestions most appreciated.
gretaboy

by BNA » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:51 am

BNA

Re: SRAM gruppo's and compatability

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:51 am

The difference between cranksets is easy - the word "compact" means a smaller bolt circle and smaller chain rings. Standard these days is 52/39 and compact is generally 50/34.
I ride compact Record and love it!
Andrew
gabrielle260

Postby __PG__ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 am

gretaboy wrote:My big question is...with a front Force Derailleur can I change to an "SRAM Red Black BB30 Compact 10sp Chainset" crankset without any major issues?

Yes.

For the record the new 2013 Sram Force crankset is SRAM Red 'Black'..see here
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__

Postby gretaboy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:32 am

__PG__ wrote:
gretaboy wrote:My big question is...with a front Force Derailleur can I change to an "SRAM Red Black BB30 Compact 10sp Chainset" crankset without any major issues?

Yes.

For the record the new 2013 Sram Force crankset is SRAM Red 'Black'..see here

_PG_...thanks for that, gave me exactly what I wanted and also now understand why I couldnt find a "Force BB30 crankset"
gretaboy

Postby simonn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:36 am

Why the change to compact? Aren't you pretty much a flatlander?

I was thinking about this on the way to work - BB failed on my Kinesis so I rode my Van Nic in on Friday (waiting for spokes for the boardman). My Kinesis has 52/42/30 12-25 (9spd) and my Van Nic has 50/34 13-29 (10spd). On my commute I actually find the 42 far more useful than the 34 which is too low for "normal" stuff on a roadie. On my much heavier boardman the 34 is more useful on hills. I spend most of the time in the 50 on the Van Nic. If I did not live somewhere where I had the odd 7%+ climb I'd probably just stick with a 52-3/39. Before I went compact on the Van Nic I made it up Bumble Hill on 39/29 (would not have liked to have done so after 200km+ though, this was after ~100km, which is why I swapped).

Saying that though, compact is probably more versatile. However, the 16t jump is much more noticeable than the 14-15t jump.

You will have to move your front derailleur ~1cm towards the bottom of the seat tube. I could only just about do that on my Van Nic. I could probably not use a 48 or 46 chainring without dremel modding the derailleur clamp as there is a hole for a bottle cage in the way, so this may be worth checking on your frame.

Compact cranksets are 110 BCD and "normal" (i.e. Shimano compat which is everything apart from Campy and possible old/weird stuff) cranksets are 130 BCD and 135 BCD for Campy/Fulcrum (Fulcrum is essentially Campy rebranded to sell into Shimano market). Note that Campy/Fulcrum compact chainrings have one bolt hole slightly out of position so you have to get campy compatible rings.
simonn

Postby __PG__ » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:15 am

simonn wrote:Kinesis has 52/42/30 12-25 (9spd) and my Van Nic has 50/34 13-29 (10spd). On my commute I actually find the 42 far more useful than the 34 which is too low for "normal" stuff on a roadie. On my much heavier boardman the 34 is more useful on hills. I spend most of the time in the 50 on the Van Nic. If I did not live somewhere where I had the odd 7%+ climb I'd probably just stick with a 52-3/39. Before I went compact on the Van Nic I made it up Bumble Hill on 39/29 (would not have liked to have done so after 200km+ though, this was after ~100km, which is why I swapped).

I agree. However you can fit a 38 inner tooth chainring on a 110 BCD crankset. My current bike is a 53/39 on a 130 BCD with 12-25 at the back. It gets me up any hill below 600 metres. However my next bike has a compact crank and I plan to ride the big mountains with it.

So I'll probably by a 38 inner ring as well and use that for most of my riding, but swap the 34 inner ring when I'm heading into the mountains.
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__

Return to The Shed