The Red Centre

il padrone

The Red Centre

Postby il padrone » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Made it to Kings Canyon, through the rigors of the Mereenie Loop Road. Weather is fantastic and the riding has been great with several days of tailwinds.

Photos will be forthcoming.

Cheers
Pete
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Tim

Re: The Red Centre

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm green with envy.
Talking of wind, we've had heaps here in good 'ol Victoria
At least 5 days of gale to storm force southwesterleys. Spring has arrived with a bang.
Good luck with the tour.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Great to hear. Looking forward to more updates.

Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:38 pm

I didn't make it over there. I had to cancel my plans to attend to something here mid month. Alas.

Glad to hear things have gone well on your trip. Are you going to write a up a blog report somewhere. Please link us to it cause i still want to do this trip sometime.

Please note what night time temperatures were like and what sort of sleeping bag you took.

How was the water situation.

How was alice. Where did you stay?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:26 pm

Yes, I shall write up a report, probably on CGOAB.

Temperatures were rather on the warmer side of comfortable. Lowest overnight was 5 degs, most nights were 10-15 degs and one or two a troubling 20+. I hardly ever zipped up the sleeping bag (a four season down bag, the only one I have) and most nights slept in just the silk sheet. Daytime temps ranged from 25 right up to 40 degs on one or two intolerable days. Several hours were spent trying to stay comfortable in the scant shade of small trees on a couple of such days. One stretch of six days in a row over 30 (with four over 36) we began riding at 6.30 - 7 am and reached our destination at lunchtime after 70-80 Kim's.

I would recommend coming here in about July-August. Colder nights and shorter daylight hours but much more enjoyable daytime temperatures.

Water was scarce (its a desert of course) and we at times carried 23 liters each in two 10L bags, two bidons and a 1.5L bottle each. This gave us enough for 2-3 nights camping, so long as it was not 36+ in the daytime. In many places we found the bore water to be quite drinkable, despite warnings not to drink it. A winter tour would mean a little less burdensome load from the weight of water :roll:

In Alice we have stayed at the YHA, where I am now. Quite comfortable, close to the town centre and tonight a $5 BBQ including beer :D
Mandatory helmet law?

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Yes it does sound like September might be a bit too hot. though it could have been a hotter than normal year. Our september over here seems to have been hotter than usual. 23 litres is a lot of water to carry.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:42 pm

I believe Alice broke records with in excess of 147 days without rain, and on one dy an equal Sept record of 38.8 degrees top temperature.
Mandatory helmet law?