2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby coffeeandwine » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:50 pm

kimmie wrote:Otherwise if I am on my own, I will ride the 210KM (Melb - Sorento - ferry - Queenscliff - Melbourne) - just like you, apparently... or yours is the anti-clockwise one? It's a pity that the M-Q-f-S-M one has been sold-out. I agree that riding on West Gate at the end of a long ride might not be fun. :-)


Hi Kimmie, glad you found my comments useful although I am by no means an expert. Have only ever gone anti-clockwise so can't comment on other direction- with the exception that wind direction can make a difference, last year was very strong SW which made it a piece of cake for anyone riding into Melbourne from Geelong (but difficult to pick wind direction a few months out from ride :))

kimmie wrote:Having said that, I read quite a lot of gripes re: the ferry ride, and a mate from work suggested me to simply take the Melbourne - Sorento - Melbourne one, if I reall want to do the 210KM. Would you mind commenting on that, Peter? Most appreciated.


The ferry can be a pain to wait for, last year a lot of people got turned around as they missed the last ferry at 1300-bet they weren't happy!!!!! It is a good chance to have a break and refuel and a bit of a chat; it can get a bit cold.

kimmie wrote:Now, regardless of which one I will sign myself to, what sort of things I need to bring? Normally I would prefer a light ride - i.e. bring nothing but stuff that can fit into my jersey's pocket: some energy bars, mobile phone, wallet, house key, a spare tube, an all-in-one tool - or, should I bring more on a back pack (i.e. more tubes, more food, etc)? For my weekly train, I normally survive with just a big brekky and two energy bars. I believe they provide lunch on the day,aren't they? Ben


Personally i would steer clear of a back pack -sore shoulders and neck for sure. Lunch IS provided but carry a bit more snack food than you expect. May need some gels as you do the last kms, or an extra coffee stop. One of our group insisted on afternoon tea in Frankston last year as they had "missed morning tea" (and the consequences weren't going to be pleasant :) :D ) . Hitting the wall is no fun, so need to work on managing energy levels and food intake.

Def take a tube or two/ability to fix punctures and hope you don't need them but there is a bit of glass on roads.

Good Luck with the prep.

cheers
Image
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine
User avatar
coffeeandwine
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm
Location: Buninyong, Vic

by BNA » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:02 pm

BNA
 

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:02 pm

I am doing the 250km and plan to take the following*

2 x tubes, 4 x Co2, patch kit, tyre levers and a multi-tool all of which will be in my saddlebag (This is my std kit for any ride) a pump, rain jacket, sunscreen, sunnies and depending on the weather forecast I may have overshoes and long finger gloves.

Food wise I plan to take 12 x gels (1 per hour), 6 x winners bars, 4 x vegemite sandwiches, 4 x choc protein bars, some electrolyte tabs and 2 x 750ml biddons for water etc. I know they give you lunch and the rest stops will have some food also but I plan to be self sufficient and if what they offer me is good, well I have even more to eat.

It might seem a lot but I am a Clydesdale at 110kg and my training and previous 100km+ rides tell me I need a gel each hour, something more substantial like a museli bar or sandwich every 2 hours as well as a rest to stretch the back etc. I figure I should be able to maintain at least a 25km/h average so I figure 10 hours in the saddle, an hour or so for the ferry and rest breaks will see me on the go for 12 to 13 hours. If I am faster than that then I need less but after bonking in the past I would rather have too much than the opposite and I hope my plan leaves me feeling ok at the end.

Obviously I will also take some cash, a phone, a credit / eftpos card & my myki card for the train home after I get back into Melbourne, I aint riding back to Lilydale after doing 250km :shock:

* please note I am a planner and ex-boy scout so I do believe in the be preparred motto :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:14 pm

Managed a 130km ride this morning from home into the CBD and then out along Beach Rd to Mordialloc and back again.
What a killer westerly (40+ km/h) and got drenched a couple of times, but it was a great training session.

I also got held up at Middle Beach by the seal they had to capture and remove from the foreshore.
I didn't know what it was until I got home and saw the news this arvo...LOL

Ended up doing the ride in a smidge over 5 hours with an average speed of 26 km/h.
My legs certainly felt it the last 30km's which for the most part was directly into the headwind (and pouring rain on two occassions).

I think I might have earned a rest day tomorrow (or at least a short recovery ride to loosen the legs)....though I will need to clean the bike first (it's filthy!) :oops:

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Great stuff Dave, your racking up the K's now. Maybe a quick easy 20km to 30km ride tomorrow and dont commute on Monday? How did your nutrition plan go?

I did my usual 62km today, this time a bit slower than last week but still 10 minutes quicker than my best time with the old wheels (I LOVE my new wheels :P ). I was planning on the 1:20 & the wall but the rain & wind scared me off. Providing its not to bad in the morning I will do a dash up the 1:20 to sky high and the home as I have to be back by 9:30 as the wife is heading out :cry:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks YVP.
Yeah I might do a slow ride tomorrow to loosen up a bit and I plan to ride to work on Tuesday so I should be right to go by then.

I wasn't expecting to ride quite that far today so I had to make the most of a few muesli bars, two bananas and I went through three water bottles.
I didn't bonk (even though it was hard work pushing through that headwind on the way home), but I didn't have anything left in the reserves when I got home.

Had a chockie milk as soon as I got home, then I've been re-fuelling all afternoon and have had heaps of water and I'm not feeling too bad now - just a little tired in the legs.
Looking forward to a bit of a sleep-in tomorrow morning.
Had I planned on riding that far I would have taken a couple of sandwiches as well for that little extra.

I can imagine now the bike has a new lease of life with the new wheels it's almost like having a new bike all over again?!?

Hopefully the weather holds out for you in the morning so you can smash the 1:20.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:19 pm

Do you use gels Dave? and with the museli bars I am a fan of the winners bars or cadel bars as some know them. They have more carbs in them than a carmens bar.

The wheels have lifted the bike like you wouldnt believe. The handling is superb. I used to get vibration going down a hill at about 60km that I had to put my knee on the top tube. Now there is no vibration in the frame at all. I feel glued to the road, so much so I didnt like going above 65km, well I hit 70 today and feel I want to go faster.

Upgrading the wheels just brings out the characteristics of the frame, its nimble, quick off the mark and a joy to ride

the BOM says I should get away with a run up the 1:20, I am looking for a pb, I will let you know tomorrow :wink:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:34 pm

No I haven't tried the gels as yet....but I should give them a go.
Which one's do you use and where do you get them from?

I'd love to upgrade my wheels but it may be some time before I get the chance to do so.
Until then I'll just have to be happy with my CXP22's....

Good luck with the 1:20 tomorrow!

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:06 am

Hi Dave,
I am using Hi 5 Iso Gels at the moment, mainly because wiggle had a buy 1 box get 1 free. I have used endura and Gu and my fav is Rasberry Endura, tastes like a redskin lolly :D The Hi 5 Iso gels you dont need to wash down with water. The endura is a lot thicker but the Gu's you almost have to chew them. I find the gels really help and they are easy to slam down.

If your in the city evelyn faye nutrition near the corner of Bourke & Elisabeth streets. They have a good selection at reasonable prices so you can try a few out

as for the 1:20, well I took a massive 3 minutes off my pb. According to strava on the std i in 20 segment I have gone from 29:07 to 26:06 in a month. So fitness will play a part but the weather today was crap and I felt flat as I have just completed my 6th day in a row of exercise so I put the massive drop on the wheels. My decent today was a 2nd best and considering the wet I was only 25 seconds of a pb there.

I started a gold coin jar to save for my wheels, maybe you could do the same, decent wheels are worth it :D Also depending how much you weigh you might get away with a set of bracciano's or similar which are a bit cheaper than what I spent on the TWE's

Good luck with the training this week :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Leknicks stock the Isogels as well.. I had chat to thye owner a few weeks ago to see if he could order them in.. and he did :)
a pack of 20 is $38 I believe
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:38 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote:Hi Dave,
I am using Hi 5 Iso Gels at the moment, mainly because wiggle had a buy 1 box get 1 free. I have used endura and Gu and my fav is Rasberry Endura, tastes like a redskin lolly :D The Hi 5 Iso gels you dont need to wash down with water. The endura is a lot thicker but the Gu's you almost have to chew them. I find the gels really help and they are easy to slam down.

If your in the city evelyn faye nutrition near the corner of Bourke & Elisabeth streets. They have a good selection at reasonable prices so you can try a few out


Evelyn Faye is only two blocks from work so I'll have to pay them a visit and grab a couple to see how they go.

as for the 1:20, well I took a massive 3 minutes off my pb. According to strava on the std i in 20 segment I have gone from 29:07 to 26:06 in a month. So fitness will play a part but the weather today was crap and I felt flat as I have just completed my 6th day in a row of exercise so I put the massive drop on the wheels. My decent today was a 2nd best and considering the wet I was only 25 seconds of a pb there.


Great stuff! That's a big chunk of time to take off a PB. Those wheels are really making a difference....

I started a gold coin jar to save for my wheels, maybe you could do the same, decent wheels are worth it :D Also depending how much you weigh you might get away with a set of bracciano's or similar which are a bit cheaper than what I spent on the TWE's

Good luck with the training this week :D


A gold coin jar sounds like a good idea - hopefully the wife and kids don't go dipping into it...LOL
The Bracciano's do look like nice wheels but I guess once I get close to having the money to go shopping I can really start looking at what's out there.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby kimmie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi all,

Thanks Peter and YVP.... really helpful... tis the second time you helped me, YVP (last time with the route from Ringwood to Camberwell).. really wish we could meet and train together one day - although, having read about your training, I am no match to your fitness level.

Given tomorrow is my day off - I am planning to try one leg of my ATB route... I decided to take M-S-M (210km) for my first ATB ride, unless I can convince some mate to join, then I will take the 100km M-F-M. I understand that the start point is from Alexandra Gardens - anyone know which route from there to Sorento? And because my wife needs work at 4.00pm tomorrow, I will need to catch a train home from Frankston... any idea how long (distance or time for a newbie) for one to ride from Sorento to Frankston?

I ride today from Ringwood to Mulgrave via Eastlink - total of 50km return... it took me 2hours 30mins for that distance... :-( I really need to sharpen my skill and train harder if I don't want to finish my ATB after dark.

I am getting very excited about this...
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"
kimmie
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:05 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:38 pm

kimmie wrote:Hi all,

Thanks Peter and YVP.... really helpful... tis the second time you helped me, YVP (last time with the route from Ringwood to Camberwell).. really wish we could meet and train together one day - although, having read about your training, I am no match to your fitness level.

Given tomorrow is my day off - I am planning to try one leg of my ATB route... I decided to take M-S-M (210km) for my first ATB ride, unless I can convince some mate to join, then I will take the 100km M-F-M. I understand that the start point is from Alexandra Gardens - anyone know which route from there to Sorento? And because my wife needs work at 4.00pm tomorrow, I will need to catch a train home from Frankston... any idea how long (distance or time for a newbie) for one to ride from Sorento to Frankston?

I ride today from Ringwood to Mulgrave via Eastlink - total of 50km return... it took me 2hours 30mins for that distance... :-( I really need to sharpen my skill and train harder if I don't want to finish my ATB after dark.

I am getting very excited about this...


Hi Kimmie,

THIS may be of some help.

Frankston is the half way point between Melb CBD and Sorrento, so it's around 50km's from Sorrento to Frankston - which from your previous 50km ride may take you around the 2hr 30min mark.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Does anyone know if there's any water refill points around frankston and further south?
I've only come across the one along South Melbourne Beach
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby coffeeandwine » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi James,
every 25km they have well organised water stops and loos. Detailed info (and maps) in the info pack that arrives about three weeks out from the ride.

Shall catch up on thursday.

cheers

peter
Image
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine
User avatar
coffeeandwine
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm
Location: Buninyong, Vic

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby drnick79 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:28 am

Did 101kms yesterday ( http://app.strava.com/rides/21325741 ) in readyness for my 100km ATB ride.

And yes I had earphones in!!!

Cheers for the advice in this thread too, very handy for a first timer.

S
Rides
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2013 Giant Trance X00
2012 Masi Soulville SS
drnick79
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:55 pm
Location: Latrobe Valley, Victoria

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:36 pm

Hi Kimmie,

No worries, I usually fly solo but I am sure we can meet up and ride together.

I am planning a big one this sunday if you want to ride some of it with me. Your welcome on the whole ride but at this stage I am looking at something like 170km.

I will be riding from my place to ringwood (havent decided yet if I go via the basin and olinda) down to edithvale via the eastlink trail. Into the city via beach road and then back home via the eastern fwy trail and ringwood again.

This will be my big test prior to the ATB, I figure if I have to do 250 on that day I should be able to do 180 :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:41 pm

DoogleDave wrote:Evelyn Faye is only two blocks from work so I'll have to pay them a visit and grab a couple to see how they go.

I have found their selection of goodies pretty extensive and by grabbing 1 or 2 of a few different brands and flavours you can work out what you like before going the bulk order

DoogleDave wrote:A gold coin jar sounds like a good idea - hopefully the wife and kids don't go dipping into it...LOL
The Bracciano's do look like nice wheels but I guess once I get close to having the money to go shopping I can really start looking at what's out there.

Dave

There is nothing wrong with the bike now but if and when the upgrade bug bites and the wallet allows you I would look at wheels because I reckon we have a good frame and good wheels just allows the bike to sing.

........... oh I had to hide my jar, not that it stopped the wife, but it slowed her down :wink:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:51 am

coffeeandwine wrote:Hi James,
every 25km they have well organised water stops and loos. Detailed info (and maps) in the info pack that arrives about three weeks out from the ride.

Shall catch up on thursday.

cheers

peter


Actually meant for when I'm doing my training rides :)
looking for one down near frankston
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby wizdofaus » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:26 am

YVP, that route doesn't seem like it would be 170km, unless you're taking a big detour somewhere?
Anyway, I'm thinking of trying this on Sunday: http://goo.gl/maps/lFK4g. I'm expecting the route up to Sugarloaf will be reasonably hard work, but hopefully worth it. Again, anyone interested is free to join, just message me.
BTW I can strongly recommend most of last week's ride (link above) - it's good riding road all the way from the city out to Mickleham (Flemington Rd/Mount Alexander Rd/Keilor Rd/Mickleham Rd), then across to Craigieburn and back down the Galada Tamboore track. I did a bit over 80km averaging 24km/h - no stops. Felt like I could do another 80 the same day if I had to, but yeah...210...will definitely need the motivation of knowing the thousands of others doing the same thing.
wizdofaus
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:39 am
Location: Kensington, Melbourne, VIC

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby kimmie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:56 am

YVP... Thanks for the offer... Tempting... But unsure at this point.. Given Sunday is my 'promise to stay at home' day... :-). What time you plan to arrive at Ringwood?

I have question re my bike setup... I dropped the handlebar on my Defy Advanced 0 by removing one spacer up (before all the spacers were under the headstem). In my last two rides (total of 100km) I felt my back sore after 25ish KM... Is it because of that new setup? Will one spacer make that much different? It doesn't look much by the look of it. Anyone can share something?

The other thing, I normally ride on my 2nd or 3rd small gear (rear) and small chain ring (front) - apologise if incorrect terms were used. I noticed that my chain is rubbing on my FD. I guess it's always like that.. But it grews more concern now because I am getting more extensive in my ride. The sound of them rubbing each other was really annoying. I tried to adjust my FD based on youtube instruction. After following carefully and -according to youtube- it has setup properly, my chain still rubbing my FD. Just slightly, but it still makes that annoying sound.

Any idea? Maybe I need to have it adjusted by a professional... Can anyone suggest a good (and friendly) mechanic around Melbourne eastern suburbs? The one I visited last time in Ringwood wasn't friendly at all and he was the one adjusted my drivetrain, which ended up making the chain rubbing my FD.

Anyway - sorry if I post this here. Will move it to another section of the forum if required.

Thanks


Ben
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"
kimmie
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:05 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:05 am

wizdofaus wrote:YVP, that route doesn't seem like it would be 170km, unless you're taking a big detour somewhere?
Anyway, I'm thinking of trying this on Sunday: http://goo.gl/maps/lFK4g. I'm expecting the route up to Sugarloaf will be reasonably hard work, but hopefully worth it. Again, anyone interested is free to join, just message me.
BTW I can strongly recommend most of last week's ride (link above) - it's good riding road all the way from the city out to Mickleham (Flemington Rd/Mount Alexander Rd/Keilor Rd/Mickleham Rd), then across to Craigieburn and back down the Galada Tamboore track. I did a bit over 80km averaging 24km/h - no stops. Felt like I could do another 80 the same day if I had to, but yeah...210...will definitely need the motivation of knowing the thousands of others doing the same thing.

I was a bit light on details
Leave Lilydale and head towards Ringwood via Mooroolbark & Croydon. Follow eastlink trail all the way the cheltenham road which I then take to springvale rd turn left and head to edithvale. Turn left at nepean hwy to frankston and then turn around and take beach road all the way to kerford road Port Melbourne which turns into albert road, ride around the botanical gardens to get onto the yarra river trail to yarra boulevard. Take that to Victoria road, cross the river and jump onto yarra boulevard kew all the way to chandler hwy. Jump onto the eastern fwy trail all the way to ringwood. Take Mt Dandy road to montrose, turn left at swansea rd and back into Lilydale, 170km.

Now if I throw in a climb in there, that is ride from lilydale to the basin via morrolbark & kilsyth up to sassafras and then to skyhigh down to montrose and into ringwood via Mt Dandy road will make it 202km and 170km if I dont do the run down to Frankston.

all distances are on map my ride
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:12 am

kimmie wrote:YVP... Thanks for the offer... Tempting... But unsure at this point.. Given Sunday is my 'promise to stay at home' day... :-). What time you plan to arrive at Ringwood?

I have question re my bike setup... I dropped the handlebar on my Defy Advanced 0 by removing one spacer up (before all the spacers were under the headstem). In my last two rides (total of 100km) I felt my back sore after 25ish KM... Is it because of that new setup? Will one spacer make that much different? It doesn't look much by the look of it. Anyone can share something?

The other thing, I normally ride on my 2nd or 3rd small gear (rear) and small chain ring (front) - apologise if incorrect terms were used. I noticed that my chain is rubbing on my FD. I guess it's always like that.. But it grews more concern now because I am getting more extensive in my ride. The sound of them rubbing each other was really annoying. I tried to adjust my FD based on youtube instruction. After following carefully and -according to youtube- it has setup properly, my chain still rubbing my FD. Just slightly, but it still makes that annoying sound.

Any idea? Maybe I need to have it adjusted by a professional... Can anyone suggest a good (and friendly) mechanic around Melbourne eastern suburbs? The one I visited last time in Ringwood wasn't friendly at all and he was the one adjusted my drivetrain, which ended up making the chain rubbing my FD.

Anyway - sorry if I post this here. Will move it to another section of the forum if required.

Thanks


Ben


OK taking a spacer out will affect your back because your bending over more and if your noticing it after 20 or so K's I would be putting it back on. Now the other thing with the chain you need to "trim" the front derailure. I have shimano 105 and triming involved moving the lever that controls the FD halfway, if you push it you will here a little click and this will trim the FD and stop the chain rub. If you want a bike fit I got my bike from Le Tour cycles in ringwood, I am sure they could help you out

Not sure when I will get into ringwood. If I do a climb it could be about 9am and if I come straight to ringwood about 7:15. I will be taking the route I posted above so let me know if your keen :D Happy t meet you at the basin if you want to do a run up the 1:20?
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Kimmie,
Can I ask why you dropped your bars?

I did around 1000km's on my bike with the bars "as standard" and then decided to drop mine by one spacer and have done about 800+km's on it since and could possibly drop it another spacer now I am used to it.
However I found that you do need to give yourself time to adjust to dropping the bars (or any change you make to your bike)....and by time I don't mean a couple of rides or days.
Dropping the bars will give you a more aero position but your back, hips, neck etc. all need to be flexible enough to maintain the new position - which it will get used to over time.

If however it is way too uncomfortable then perhaps you are not ready for lowering your bars and should try them back in their original position?

Also, how long have you had your bike for, approx how many km's have you ridden and has it had a "proper service" since you had your FD adjusted by the "mean mechanic"? :lol:
Your cables will stretch (from new) and this lessens over time but as you clock up the km's your derailleurs will need a tweak avery now and again to keep them running as they should (just like servicing a car).

Hopefully there are a few LBS's around your area you could try out for servicing (or at least enquire).

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
Image
User avatar
DoogleDave
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Taylors Hill, Victoria

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby kimmie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:17 pm

@YVP: Wife is OK for me to ride with you... as long as I'll be home by 4.00pm... how long you reckon will it takes? Also, what's your avg speed? I don't want to become a burden for you to wait for me... mine is just around 20-25kph... could get close to 30kph on flat (beach Rd)...but can suffer to 12-15kph on a hideous hill...sad, I know. That being said, is there any train station in your route, in case I need to bail out? Where is the basin in Ringwood? Also what is 1:20?

@Dave: Dropped my handlebar just to try how I cope with an aggressive position... I followed YVP suggestion and put the spacer back below. I need endurance with my training for ATB, so need to make peace with my back. :-)
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"
kimmie
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:05 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi Kimmie,

I sent you a PM with all the details of my ride
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0
User avatar
yarravalleyplodder
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Gateway to the Yarra Valley

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Top Bikes & Gear
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Cell Bikes Cell Bikes AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist