New wheels & a BB30 question

PaulMoran

New wheels & a BB30 question

Postby PaulMoran » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:22 am

Hi Guys -

I am looking at doing 2 upgrades to my 2012 Felt F75 -

1 - new wheels
2 - new crank set

and just wanna make sure what i have in mind will be sweet ...

Im figuring the new wheels will be a swap out & in job .....no need to reindex gearing etc as no change to anything on the drive train or cassette ???

and with the crankset - i am looking at this one - http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... t-CRANKSET - and just wanted to make sure this also will be a swap out / swap in affair ??

Im just not sure if the BB30 on my bike is one thats a part of this crankset or press fit job as part of the frame ?? and if I also will need a new BB with this new crankset or if it comes with it ??

bit confused with the whole BB/Crankset upgrade details ??

Appreciate your clarification & wisodm!!!

this upgrade is going to shave approx 900-odd grams ....which is always a good thing!!!

__PG__

Re: New wheels & a BB30 question

Postby __PG__ » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:24 am

If your bike is this one Felt f75 then it will be a swap in/out affair.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

PaulMoran

Postby PaulMoran » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:34 am

Hi PG -

its actually this one - http://2012.feltracing.com/Australia/20 ... s/F75.aspx

but same-same .....just different colours from what i can see ...

Should be right yeah ?? swap in - swap out for both wheels and crankset ....?

With the crankset....it comes with its own BB30 yeah ??

cheers mate

Paul

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:17 am

Unless your bearings are worn you will keep them in the frame and just replace the cranks.

The 'BB30' actually refers to a metal shell that is bonded to your frame. It houses bearings that are press-fit into it which have an internal diameter of 30 mm.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

PaulMoran

Postby PaulMoran » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:20 am

sweet - thanks mate - much appreciated

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi Paul,

As a fellow F75 owner I can agree with a wheel upgrade after just swapping out the standard mavic cxp22 rims for some custom TWE wheels the difference is huge and well worth the cash, but I question the benefit of changing the crank for 220gms, but thats just me :D

edit; ok price on wiggle $800 and c r c $266 (on special) so if c r c is the one the upgrade could be worth it :D might think about it myself

oh & I didnt have to do anything woth the gears, I just transferred the cassette with all the spacers etc and no worries
Last edited by yarravalleyplodder on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:41 pm

PaulMoran wrote: Im figuring the new wheels will be a swap out & in job .....no need to reindex gearing etc as no change to anything on the drive train or cassette ???
you may need to re-index the gears, some manufactures have different hub widths so the cassette may be a couple of mm here or there. You could solve this with a spacer or you can re-index your gears. Mavic wheels will require a 2mm spacer (or something like that, something to do with shimano and campagnolo having different cassette widths).

PaulMoran

Postby PaulMoran » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:03 am

yarravalleyplodder wrote:Hi Paul,

As a fellow F75 owner I can agree with a wheel upgrade after just swapping out the standard mavic cxp22 rims for some custom TWE wheels the difference is huge and well worth the cash, but I question the benefit of changing the crank for 220gms, but thats just me :D

edit; ok price on wiggle $800 and c r c $266 (on special) so if c r c is the one the upgrade could be worth it :D might think about it myself

oh & I didnt have to do anything woth the gears, I just transferred the cassette with all the spacers etc and no worries
Hey mate -

i ended up getting these babies in Black - http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=29086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & will prob get these soon too - http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... t-CRANKSET" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pro-Lite website - http://2011.pro-lite.net/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - for $400 Oz ....i reckon pretty sweet wheels

then, ill leave her alone for the summer :)

thanks agian for getting back to me - cheers
Paul

PaulMoran

Postby PaulMoran » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:05 am

usernameforme wrote:
PaulMoran wrote: Im figuring the new wheels will be a swap out & in job .....no need to reindex gearing etc as no change to anything on the drive train or cassette ???
you may need to re-index the gears, some manufactures have different hub widths so the cassette may be a couple of mm here or there. You could solve this with a spacer or you can re-index your gears. Mavic wheels will require a 2mm spacer (or something like that, something to do with shimano and campagnolo having different cassette widths).
ok - my plan is to not change the cassette ....simply to slot it onto the new wheels when they land ....are you saying that the spacing may not been same-same ....i guess it depends upon the width of the hubs on these new wheels versus the ones on there now yeah ?

I imagine I will just have to wait and see how we go with swapping in and out ....and seeing if it all aligns etc etc ....

is re-indexing a pretty straightforward process ?? never done that before ??

cheers again

Paul

b1

Postby b1 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:42 am

Not as difficult as you think. My first step would be to print out and read sheldon brown's instructions on how to adjust your rear derailleur.

Once you've fitted the wheel and find that indexing is out, (a) disconnect the gear cable, (b) adjust the high and low limit screws, (c) connect the gear cable, (d) adjust the cable tension.

Note that when you disconnect the gear cable, the derailleur will sit at the outermost position, so before you reconnect the cable, set you shifter to the highest gear too.

PaulMoran

Postby PaulMoran » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:58 am

sweet - will do, thanks again guys - appreciate the help!!

PaulMoran

Postby PaulMoran » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:08 pm

so - i am about to buy the new crankset -

this one - http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=35757" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just to be sure -

will i need both of these ??

http://www.parktool.com/product/bottom- ... tool-bbt-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.parktool.com/product/bottom- ... 0-bbt-30-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i note on c r c website that this comes with ceramic BB30 bearings - will i be replacing the ones pressed into my frame or are these different bearing all together ?

thanks again fellas!!

Paul

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:45 pm

not sure you will need the first tool but definitely the second, especially if your changing the bearing.

Can I suggest you do a search of you tube, replacing cranks on a bb30 or something like that, you will be surprised what you find on youtube and it may help. Also parktool has a good blog with how to guides. I purchased their blue book to bike maintenance which along with youtube has helped me work out how to do my own maintenance
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0