Todays rides

Warnesy

Re: Todays rides

Postby Warnesy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:43 pm

That's just crazy. I did stromolo once, for the first time and it almost killed me

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:07 pm

nickdos wrote:Someone I follow on Strava did 8 X Black Mountain in under 2 hours yesterday... I'm in awe

http://app.strava.com/rides/20417229
The more he did the faster hewas getting! The last 2 were faster than my PB. :cry:
mrgolf wrote: Hmmm... Impressive. Looks like the sort of thing I may get up to leading up to Fitz extreme
Greg B was doing 8 or 10 Blackies in a session as training for Haute Route

Trevor from Lonsdale St Cyclery rode out to Vets race at Orroral Valley (out past Fitz's) on Saturday, won A grade and then rode home again! :o

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:28 pm

nickdos wrote:Someone I follow on Strava did 8 X Black Mountain in under 2 hours yesterday... I'm in awe

http://app.strava.com/rides/20417229
That ride has been deleted. Turns out he lent his phone to his riding buddy to record the ride and he (Dave) has since uploaded his own ride from his Garmin - which was 2 minutes faster:

http://app.strava.com/rides/20648898

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:39 pm

Holy moly, all of his reps except the last one were faster than my PB!
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:09 pm

1 blackie is enough for me......let alone 8. There's a reason I'm looking forward to the crit season and not fitz or any other hilly ride :P
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Pfft. Just get lighter wheels...

Did a solo Sutton/ Gungahlin route today. Very nice weather. Encountered some head breeze, but very pleasant and nice pace...

http://app.strava.com/rides/20794461

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:34 pm

mrgolf wrote:Pfft. Just get lighter wheels...

Did a solo Sutton/ Gungahlin route today. Very nice weather. Encountered some head breeze, but very pleasant and nice pace...

http://app.strava.com/rides/20794461
Are the roadworks at Mulligans flat finished yet? Haven't been out there for ages as i was avoiding it after reading comments on here about the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! section near the border.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:42 pm

Yep, all done for about 5-6 weeks. Nice to not get a dirty roadie. However, they have since put a slightly raised metal cap on top of the concrete at either edge of the grids. They are a bit nasty at speed. Before that, it was nice to hit the grids at almost any speed.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:42 am

Big crash on southside "Grandpa" bunch today. About 5 or 6 riders went down on Nothbourne Ave. Not sure what happened, a touch of wheels maybe. I was 3 or 4 bikes back and could hear and then see the carnage unfolding before me and managed to stop and avoid it. I don't think there were any serious injuries, usual road rash I expect. One guy had only recently started riding again after breaking his hip in another bunch ride a few months ago.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:18 am

Caught up with some of the boys from the crash this morning.

It was the most common reason for a crash in any bunch. Some 'muppet' makes a sudden move, overlaps a wheel, down comes the first rider and here comes a dominoes display.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

skull

Postby skull » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:18 am

Grandpa bunch?
Is that the one that leaves from the bike shop in Phillip at 6?

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:21 am

Ross wrote:Big crash on southside "Grandpa" bunch today. About 5 or 6 riders went down on Nothbourne Ave. Not sure what happened, a touch of wheels maybe. I was 3 or 4 bikes back and could hear and then see the carnage unfolding before me and managed to stop and avoid it. I don't think there were any serious injuries, usual road rash I expect. One guy had only recently started riding again after breaking his hip in another bunch ride a few months ago.
Mr D? I though he had sworn off bunch rides after his accy.

PS - YES!!!! Rest day! Talk about timing. :twisted:
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:47 pm

Yes to Skull and Twizzle

mezla

Postby mezla » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Warnesy wrote:That's just crazy. I did stromolo once, for the first time and it almost killed me
Cool. Next target: doing Stromlo and feeling ok.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:25 pm

60km or thereabouts. 2km warm up, 25km CCC Symonston crit, 33km home from crit. Really liked the Symonston course for the crit today although those that went down on the bottom corner won't agree me with. Def a nice change from Stromlo with some downhill and uphill. Managed a tie for 4th in D grade :)

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Riding home from work last night (south down Adelaide Ave), and a faster due comes past me just beforethe Phillip College lights. He got through and another cyclist in front of me got through too. When the lights went green I went up Launceston street (towards the Hellenic club). Was going to turn left into the street behind callum offices through the carpark near the cats and go that way as per normal and saw a bit of faffing around at that corner.

Rider down and not moving and a couple of other drivers and motorists pulling up and flapping round saying its okay mate don’t move blah blah while another (the second fast guy who had passed me) was lifting a bike off the road. A lady in a 4wd with bull bar was standing there and “didn’t see him”. (the guy on the ground was the fast one who had past me less than 2 mins before :( ). Someone rang the ambulance and they came soon and they tested all his limbs/back etc in case anything was broken. Lady didn’t do or say anything. The other chap took some photos of the damaged bike and Mr Hit finally got up and walked around albeit very sorely and slowly. He was pretty shakey but seriously lucky considering what could’ve been. He thought he was okay to ride home but his bike was stuffed.

It wasn’t dark when it happened and while i had lights on, i do that anyway to stop having to pull up half way. Police came, interviewed everyone. I said don't bother with me as I didn't see the impact. the guys left arm was cut as were 2 or 3 fingers on his left hand and his lid was smashed but he didn’t think he needed to go to hospital in the ambulance. Lady said she wasn’t going fast. Again she might not’ve seen him but you wonder if she looked too. The other 2 cyclists who got there in front of me confirmed that when they picked his bike up the front light was going.

the injured rider thanked all of us for stopping to make sure he was okay. In the end the lady who hit him got a bit emotional. I’m sure it wasn’t deliberate but hopefully she'll learn from it too. In the end she was going to drive him home i think. He wasn't looking forward to seeing his wife's reaction.

Really, it can just happen so easily. Ride safe all. I hope you're feeling better today Michael. :) Good cudos and karma should also go to Andrew and Linley for what they did too.
:)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 pm

HAKS wrote:60km or thereabouts. 2km warm up, 25km CCC Symonston crit, 33km home from crit. Really liked the Symonston course for the crit today although those that went down on the bottom corner won't agree me with. Def a nice change from Stromlo with some downhill and uphill. Managed a tie for 4th in D grade :)
Vets stopped using the Symonston car park for crits, too many bad accidents. Head into curb = brain damage.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:10 pm

twizzle wrote:
HAKS wrote:60km or thereabouts. 2km warm up, 25km CCC Symonston crit, 33km home from crit. Really liked the Symonston course for the crit today although those that went down on the bottom corner won't agree me with. Def a nice change from Stromlo with some downhill and uphill. Managed a tie for 4th in D grade :)
Vets stopped using the Symonston car park for crits, too many bad accidents. Head into curb = brain damage.

That was only one of three accidents we had on that course. To many off camber tight cnr's

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:28 pm

twizzle wrote: Vets stopped using the Symonston car park for crits, too many bad accidents. Head into curb = brain damage.
Talking about the same course? I know the Geoscience Australia carpark used to get used which is also in Symonston. This was over near Cbr Ave
jcjordan wrote: That was only one of three accidents we had on that course. To many off camber tight cnr's
Yeah heard about the other crashes. Not good but still I enjoyed the course & the race.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:32 pm

That's a scary story cp123, glad the rider didn't need the ambulance on the spot.

"I didn't see him" is basically an admission the driver wasn't looking hard enough. Plenty of car-on-car crashes are explained the same way.

I like to ride lit up like a Las Vegas Christmas but sometimes you wonder just what it takes when there are 4WDs with bull bars on the same roads.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Howzat wrote:
"I didn't see him" is basically an admission the driver wasn't looking hard enough. Plenty of car-on-car crashes are explained the same way.
Not always. The forward windscreen "A" pillars in a lot of vehicles can hide a car pretty well, a cyclist even more so. I nearly took out a cyclist myself one day out the front of SFP because I didn't see him due to the A pillar.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:27 pm

There was a crash last year at the Symonston crit as well. It was in my grade, luckily I was doing a reverse breakaway at the time and managed to slow down in time and avoid it. I didn't race it this year but did enjoy last year despite the crash.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:35 pm

HAKS wrote:
twizzle wrote: Vets stopped using the Symonston car park for crits, too many bad accidents. Head into curb = brain damage.
Talking about the same course? I know the Geoscience Australia carpark used to get used which is also in Symonston. This was over near Cbr Ave

Correct - I was talking the Geoscience carpark, I wasn't aware there was another approved location in Symonston. Where is it exactly?

nescius

Postby nescius » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Google maps link

It's a fun crit course, but the fast off camber downhill left hander does tend to cause a bit of grief. No crashes in C grade, everybody was reasonably well behaved.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

DW260

Postby DW260 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:09 am

Only a small ride yesterday to visit the pretty girls at the coffee shop. Dodged a magpie, but had to cut the ride short owing to an incredibly loud BB creak. Only managed about 40km's, but still good.

It's nice to see more people on their bikes now the weather is warming up, and its even better not having to ride in clothing that looks like it is better suited to the ski fields. Yay for warmer weather!
Merida 907e Reacto. Fast and comfortable.
Giant XTC 2 29er
Malvern Star Oppy A4