Tour Down Under 2013

RICHARDH

Tour Down Under 2013

Postby RICHARDH » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:52 am

Can't see any post's regarding the release of the stages yet? thought maybe it had gone under the radar with all the stuff that's been going on in cycling lately

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/down-un ... es-1-6.htm

The Stages that standout other that the obvious Willunga Stage is Stage 2 and Stage 3. Stage 2 with Corkscrew Rd only 7km from the finish is great that is steep enough for some one to attack and stay away will definitely animate the race. Stage 3 is interesting they will go up Eagle on the hill which is a 12km plus climb then do the Stirling loop 2 more times that they did last year, should be a hard stage. All in all a much more even race for the overall winner, not a sprinters race anymore. The only thing that puzzles me is that Turtur said after this years race that there would be a change that would be as big as finishing on Willunga Hill, I've searched the route and there is nothing i can see that fits that comment. Looking forward to it though time to get training for Stage 4 :D
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

ni78ck

Re: Tour Down Under 2013

Postby ni78ck » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:52 pm

im booked again for my third TDU in a row!
love Adelaide :D
looking forward to strava segments to be smashed with new bike!!!! :mrgreen:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:48 pm

The finish of Stage 2 will be interesting, as there is a 7km quick and reasonably technical descent down Montacute !!!

adamr

Postby adamr » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:50 pm

I have done that descent down Montacute Road from the Corkscrew Road intersection a couple of times. The road is narrow, cracked and bumpy in parts. I think it would be a bit scary in a group or for an individual trying to stay away from the chasers.

Where is the finish of that stage? Corkscrew to the Maryvale Road intersection is only about 4km. The finish must be down near the council chambers on Montacute Road, I guess.

jamesn184

Tour Down Under 2013

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm planning to see a few stages hopefully

bomber

Postby bomber » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:41 am

I am keen to get down for my first TDU. What would you guys recommend - basing myself near the city and riding out to stages each day? Is that doable?

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:23 pm

bomber wrote:I am keen to get down for my first TDU. What would you guys recommend - basing myself near the city and riding out to stages each day? Is that doable?
thats a great way to do it.
last year i stayed in Unley which is a couple kms out of the city. great place to be.
the previous year i was in town which was also good.
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:58 pm

My bday is in Jan, so thinking of taking the gf down to Radelaide to see some of the TDU to celebrate.

Probably see the last 3 stages if we take the Friday off from work. If we split the cost, a hire car is pretty cheap and would be a handy way to see the stages. In particular, i want to introduce her to Old Willunga Hill and the chaos of cheering cyclists. The last day is easy with it all being in the CBD.

Regarding the second last stage:
If i do take the car - is there anywhere to park near the hill climb and walk? I notice that the finish is actually on the hill itself in 2013

Alternatively, they have those coach transfers for $65pp/stage. Are these any good? Will they stop in a good spot for the hill climb section?

Any tips/tricks for an interstate traveller would be much appreciated

:mrgreen:

Fe

Postby Fe » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Any advice for another interstate traveller would be welcomed.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:08 pm

Out of idle and mischievous curiosity, is Lance invited this year.

And if not, what is that doofus of a premier gonna use to claim "cycling capital of Australia" this time?

(I could suggest - build some paths and infrastructure. Naaaah!)

(A quick google and I see that this SA Cycle Capital crap is still being trotted out. Despite having all the advantages of Perth, which means it COULD be great, like Perth it disappointingly lags behind lousy-climate cities like Melbourne and Canberra that do seem try a lot harder. Idle boasting does nothing to adbvantage cyclists.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

zues

Postby zues » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:11 am

Shhh :!:

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Fe wrote:Any advice for another interstate traveller would be welcomed.
Found this on another forum.
Stay in Adelaide CBD and ride. All stage finishes are within a "ride" and back and could be a couple of 100km+ days pending if you ride the route or direct to a spot and back.

Here's a plan.

Prolouge - city. Go ride up Mt Lofty to get a panorama of Adelaide before the crit starts. 40km return.
Stage 1 - either go to finish at lobethal or ride out to checker hill. Great riding either way. Or do both - make it a 120km day by riding to checker and then see if you can beat the pros to lobethal via the short cut. 80km return if you do beeline to one or the other.
Stage 2 - starts 30km out of city at Mt Barker. You'll want to park on corkscrew road. 60km day.
Stage 3 - stirling. 40km return from city. Ride to eagle on hill early (15km) and then go park somewhere on the loop they do.
Stage 4 - BUPA.
Stage 5 - Queen stage. Ride out early to willunga (50km) and do a couple of ascents of the hill until the pros get there. Then ride home. Pending how many willunga hill climbs you do, could be a 150km day.
Stage 6 - CBD. Rest day!

BUPA ride is pretty easy this year compared to last few. Good day with 8000+ riders taking over the roads.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:34 pm

http://www.velonomad.com/tour-down-under/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hosko

Postby hosko » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:44 pm

Have just set up my sponsorship page for the Cancer Council to ride in this years Bupa TDU. Haven't done it before, and have to get down from the Goldie to do it, however I think it is slightly shorter than last year? Thought I may as well raise some coin for the Cancer Council while I do it.

Suppose there will be a few fundraising so may as well put my link up if anyone wants to throw some coin towards CC - http://sa.cancercouncilfundraising.org. ... 2E.twitter

Mate told me he did it last year and there were a few interesting climbs. Looking forward to heading down to SA!
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:31 pm

RICHARDH wrote: ....The Stages that standout other that the obvious Willunga Stage is Stage 2 and Stage 3. Stage 2 with Corkscrew Rd only 7km from the finish is great that is steep enough for some one to attack and stay away will definitely animate the race. .....
Just rode the last part of Stage 2 the other day as part of the test ride I am doing of the Azzurri Mezzo 90.

I think it is going to be THE stage that decides the winner of the TdU, or at least wittle it down to a select few.

Completely aside from the nasty climb that Corkscrew is (more on that in a bit), the gradual incline up from Gorge Rd is twisty and narrow and climbs at 2% or so, but the crucial bit is the turn and narroe bridge before the climb starts.

Also, the road verge is not smooth either !! Lots of sharp edges and ruts

Corkscrew is a 2.48km climb (starting at the bridge) that has 3 distinct sections and has an average gradient of 9.5%. The first relatively straight section (about 1km) is 8 - 12% gardient, and then comes the mini Alpe D'Huez - only 4 short hairpins covering about 700m, but the gradient sits at 15 - 17% on the straight bits, from there the last 700m slowly levels out to 7% at the end (from about 11%), and then comes the 135 degree corner and straight down Montacute.

I managed to average 50km/hr down Montacute and I was buggered, and all my measly 200W has disappeared long before.

It's a stage that is suited to the punchy climbers like Gerro et al - if a select few get off the front, it will be hard to gain the time on them over the next few stages.

Corkscrew will be a great place to watch, but hopefully the TV coverage is better this year.

Brilliant course !!!!

timbo

Postby timbo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:43 am

zues wrote:
Isn't hindsight wonderful.
I think USADA are still waiting for a reply from Lance for the invitation they sent him.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:30 am

timbo wrote:
zues wrote:
Isn't hindsight wonderful.
I think USADA are still waiting for a reply from Lance for the invitation they sent him.
Whew, that's lucky. If Lance's lawyers get wind of my indiscrete comment they will be going after zues, and not me. :oops:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:39 am

punk_rob wrote:My bday is in Jan, so thinking of taking the gf down to Radelaide to see some of the TDU to celebrate.

Probably see the last 3 stages if we take the Friday off from work. If we split the cost, a hire car is pretty cheap and would be a handy way to see the stages. In particular, i want to introduce her to Old Willunga Hill and the chaos of cheering cyclists. The last day is easy with it all being in the CBD.

Regarding the second last stage:
If i do take the car - is there anywhere to park near the hill climb and walk? I notice that the finish is actually on the hill itself in 2013

Alternatively, they have those coach transfers for $65pp/stage. Are these any good? Will they stop in a good spot for the hill climb section?

Any tips/tricks for an interstate traveller would be much appreciated

:mrgreen:
Hi Rob, i have been to Radelaide for the last few stages TdU in 2010 and 2011.
a few observations, i used a day bus tour to see the start + finish stage 3 in 2010.
This was extremely good bang for the bucks, in a Coaster minibus we got a good view of start (Unley) and finish (Stirling).
Lunch and wine in a shady spot at the finish was good, especially since we were positioned under a colony of Koala's !
It was run by a group called "adventure collective" and was i think about 60 dollars pp.

Willunga hill - not sure about parking in Willunga, but the general traffic chaos before and after would be a disincentive to trying to do it with a hire car. Parking in the small town at the top of the hill might be worth considering.
in 2011 i pedalled to Willunga for the big one.
That was quite good although the ex-adelaide boy i was with sort of got us lost on the way.
But he redeemed himself after when we decided it was too hot to ride back he summoned a relation to drive out and pick us up !

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:39 am

With willunga come from the top of the rather then trying to climb it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Regarding the Willunga stage, park in McLaren Vale which is only 5km away and ride to Willunga and then up the hill. The atmosphere is great especially with the finish at the top of the hill instead of in the town. Then ride back down with the hundreds of others, back to the Vale, get in the car and get ready for the last stage in the city. Too easy! :D

Tim

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:25 am

Schleck and possily Boonen coming .

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:18 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Schleck and possily Boonen coming .

But will Abandonandy manage to finish it, or will something go wrong ..... ?

Or will he aim for the Lantern Rouge again .. :roll:

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:08 pm

Gilbert might show off the rainbow stripes in Oz...

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13288 ... Under.aspx

hosko

Postby hosko » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:57 pm

Anyone else going down to do the ride on the Friday with the Bupa Challenge?

$30 short at the moment of my goal of $1000 fundraising for the Cancer Council as part of the Bupa Challenge which I am stoked about. Back on the bike this morning after about 4 weeks away from it and loved every minute of it. Also 6Kg lighter than what I was 4 weeks ago!

Just curious to see who else is heading down to do the 127KM ride.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:09 pm

RobM wrote:Gilbert might show off the rainbow stripes in Oz...

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13288 ... Under.aspx
Confirmed....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gilbert ... r-san-luis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FPR Ragamuffin