Magpie Watch

MichaelB

Re: Magpie Watch

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:27 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Sounds like a spot to avoid.

For some reason, can't quite pin down the location of the Seaview Rd one - Google maps ?
It's the outer harbour run Michael, just as you go over the bridge over the torrens at Henley beach south..

Try this link I've got from google on my iPhone.. Hopefully it works ;-)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=-34.9 ... stralia%29
Went past at 7:10am and no strike or swoop. Phew !!!

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:36 am

Can we put snakes in here? Ran over a brown snake on the Meadows to Macclesfield Rd yesterday. No maggies all ride though!
Certified Brand Snob

bionic wombat

Postby bionic wombat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:56 pm

posted from a mate - there's a vicious magpie doing very nasty things to passerby cyclists on Justs Road, heading from Norman Road into Sellicks! Just thought I'd warn you in case you're riding over this direction any time soon!! Be afraid, be very afraid!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:47 am

After seeing several fluffy adult sized maggies on my weekend rides out on the roads with the adults, and no swoops, does this mean that swooping season will soon be over, if it isn't already ... :D

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:26 pm

You could be right Michael.

My route this morning - Up Mt Osmond from Beaumont side, up freeway to top of Lofty, down, up Windy Point, up Upper Sturt Rd, onto Sturt Valley Rd and into Stirling, up Ayres Hill Rd, down freeway, back up Mt Osmond, then up Greenhill Rd, across Woods Hill Rd, down Norton summit, turn left and up that road that goes to the top of the Parade (nasty little pinch) then finally up Hallett Rd to Greenhill and I'm basically home.

All good Maggie country in the last couple of months and not one swoop, just had to stop twice for Koalas crossing the road. Bloody marvelous! :D
Certified Brand Snob

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:You could be right Michael.

My route this morning - Up Mt Osmond from Beaumont side, up freeway to top of Lofty, down, up Windy Point, up Upper Sturt Rd, onto Sturt Valley Rd and into Stirling, up Ayres Hill Rd, down freeway, back up Mt Osmond, then up Greenhill Rd, across Woods Hill Rd, down Norton summit, turn left and up that road that goes to the top of the Parade (nasty little pinch) then finally up Hallett Rd to Greenhill and I'm basically home.

All good Maggie country in the last couple of months and not one swoop, just had to stop twice for Koalas crossing the road. Bloody marvelous! :D
That's a bit of climbing there :shock:

I went via Mt Lofty (EoH side) and Woods Hill Rd, down Norton Summit to work this morning. Plenty of Maggies and not one swoop, or even threatening glare. :D

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:22 am

It was 2400 vertical Metres. My summer campaign is to break 7 1/2 hours for the Alpine Classic. So that means climbing and more climbing for me!
Certified Brand Snob

paolo_ski

Postby paolo_ski » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:29 am

I sure hope it's over for the year. My few encounters were scary and dangerous :(
When is the 'official' end to magpie season?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:55 am

paolo_ski wrote:I sure hope it's over for the year. My few encounters were scary and dangerous :(
When is the 'official' end to magpie season?
When they stop.

Wino

Postby Wino » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:27 pm

I did a nice little 120km ride yesterday through the hills, through what was typical Magpie country and none of my usual suspects attacked. However they were still around, just flying at tree height making their usual "get out of my territory" squark.

However, I have noticed the mini-magpies (magpie larks??) are starting to get a bit agro. sigh

Fingers crossed.
09 Avanti Blade Flatbar, blue
11 BMC RoadRacer SL01, black

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Got swooped on the way down Norton this morning...in the same place.

And further down just before house 75 is a big bee/wasp nest in a tree on the left hand side of the road. Went through them but didn't get stung thankfully.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:25 am

Well, as far as I am concerned, it's called.

Maggie season has ended ! :D

Recorded no swoops this season, despite passing though several of the known hotspots, including the infamous bugger on the Veloway last weekend, and anry an evil eye.

So, on to next year ..... :D

matth

Postby matth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:26 am

Just when it was over... I got my first real hit yesterday on Cedar Ave Brighton, just south of the Brighton Railway Station. I didn't even hear the bugger coming and he took a nice bit of skin off my left ear (and scared the daylights out of me).

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:40 pm

Ahhhh, Spring is a bit early it seems. I got swooped on Henley Beach rd a bit after Tapleys Hill Rd where there is an S bend and a large tree that drops seeds and crap all over the bike lane. The little turd hit me about 4 times much to the amusement of passing motorists.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:06 am

Fresh wrote:Ahhhh, Spring is a bit early it seems. I got swooped on Henley Beach rd a bit after Tapleys Hill Rd where there is an S bend and a large tree that drops seeds and crap all over the bike lane. The little turd hit me about 4 times much to the amusement of passing motorists.
Already? Jeebus! Hope this means we may start to get some decent weather as well.
Certified Brand Snob

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:25 am

Fresh wrote:Ahhhh, Spring is a bit early it seems. I got swooped on Henley Beach rd a bit after Tapleys Hill Rd where there is an S bend and a large tree that drops seeds and crap all over the bike lane. The little turd hit me about 4 times much to the amusement of passing motorists.
Shoot the bird, and cut the tree down. problem solved. :wink:

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:16 pm

Got hit on HB Rd again on Sunday. This time alongside the golf course in Lockleys.

Ratts

Postby Ratts » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:53 am

Yes, spring is in the air, even though the weather is not showing it. Got smacked a few times yesterday south of Brighton Station.
2019 Canyon Ultimate CF slx
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL 1
2004 Giant TCR 1
1999 Trek

arkle

Postby arkle » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:11 pm

I've been attacked by magpies twice in the last three days.

The first was on River Road near Hahndorf, just south of the freeway bridge. He flew into my head at least ten times and kept with me for at least 300 metres.

The second was on Echunga Road halfway between Echunga and Hahndorf. This one flared five metres above me and tried to poo on me, then clacked me five times over 250 metres.

Magpies should nest away from roads. There's plenty of room. And how stupid are they anyway? If I were a hungry primate looking for a tasty egg the magpies' behaviour would instantly tell me that food was nearby.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

PA

Postby PA » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:47 pm

mmm Magpie Eggs and Bacon. :P

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:37 am

This map seems fairly comprehensive...

http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/adelaid ... yclist-map

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:42 am

A couple on Swamp Rd, just out of Uraidla heading to Piccadilly.
Certified Brand Snob

TheBrewer

Postby TheBrewer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:36 am

Heading up the hill on Conyngham St and Glenalta the other day one particular bird must have had 7 or 8 goes at me over a few hundred metres.

What amused me was I was doing 25 kph or so up the hill with the shadow in exactly the right spot so I could see him just above my head hovering.

Seems he didn't understand that I really didn't care about him swooping me.

Ratts

Postby Ratts » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Got a bleeding ear this morning on Cove Road where it turns to cross the railway line and the intersection of Dutchman Rd, Hallett Cove.
2019 Canyon Ultimate CF slx
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL 1
2004 Giant TCR 1
1999 Trek

alex

Postby alex » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Ratts wrote:Got a bleeding ear this morning on Cove Road where it turns to cross the railway line and the intersection of Dutchman Rd, Hallett Cove.
that one is an absolute monster, attacked me about 3 weeks ago

5 attacks in a row as i was trying to escape at almost 60km/h down the hill

a mate also got a bleeding ear from it. its one of a very small number of magpie attacks when i have actually been a bit scared.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.